) was a leap year starting on Sunday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar
Events of 1492
- January 2 – Boabdil, the last Moorish
King of Granada, surrenders his
city to the army of Ferdinand and Isabella after a lengthy siege,
ending the 10-year Granada War and the
almost 800-year Reconquista.
Christopher Columbus is in Alhambra, and sees
the Moorish king come out of the city gates and kiss the hands of
the Spanish king, queen and prince.
- January 6 –
Ferdinand and Isabella enter into Granada.
- January 23 – The Pentateuch is first printed.
- March 31 – Ferdinand and Isabella sign the Alhambra decree, expelling all Jews from Spain unless they
convert to Roman
- April 17 – The Capitulations of Santa Fe were
- July 31 – The Jews are expelled from Spain; 150,000
- August 3 – Christopher Columbus "sails the ocean
blue" on his first journey across the Atlantic Ocean to Asia, but he ends up in the
- August 11 – Pope Alexander VI succeeds Pope Innocent VIII as the 214th pope, after the 1492
Bayezid II of the Ottoman Empire, learning about the expulsion
of Jews from Spain, dispatches
the Ottoman Navy to bring the Jews
safely to Ottoman lands, mainly to the cities of Thessaloniki (currently in Greece) and
- October 12 –
expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean and lands on Guanahani,
but believes he has reached the East
- October 28 –
Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba.
- November 7 – The
Ensisheim meteorite, a 127-kg
meteorite, lands in a wheat field near the
village of Ensisheim in Alsace.
- December 5 –
Christopher Columbus becomes the first known European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola.
- December 31 – About 100,000 Jews are expelled from Sicily.
- Casimir IV Jagiello, of the
Jagiello Royal House, ends his
first arboretum to be designed and planted
is the Arboretum Trsteno, near Dubrovnik in Croatia.
- Russians build a
fortress in Ivangorod, on the eastern banks of the Narva river.
Dynasty China, the
commercial transportation of grain to the northern border in
exchange for salt certificates is monetarized.