1992 French Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Magny-Cours on July 5, 1992.
It was the eighth round of
the 1992 Formula One
In terms of prequalifying, it was clear that Andrea Moda and the
ailing Brabham team would have to prequalify because Andrea Moda
were putted out of the transporters and both Brabhams failed to
qualify. The 3rd team that had to prequalify went on to be
- Pole position: Nigel Mansell -
- Fastest lap: Nigel Mansell -
1:17.070 on lap 37
- First podium: Martin
Brundle (he had been disqualified from his podium finish at the
1984 Detroit Grand
- A lorry drivers blockade meant the Andrea Moda team didn't
appear at this race, every other team was also affected but all
managed to make their way to the circuit and compete in the
- The race was an aggregate of two parts as rain had caused a
number of driver errors and all teams were to start on wet tyres
but the rain subsequently dried out for the start. It was however
raining again by the end of the race.
- Riccardo Patrese passed Nigel Mansell at both starts but
yielded just one lap after the second start. When quizzed
afterwards on whether team orders existed in the Williams team he
refused to comment.
- Another poor showing for the McLaren team, with Senna retiring
due to a collision with Schumacher and Berger retiring because of
an engine failure, both within the first 10 laps of the race.