1993 South African Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Kyalami on March 14,
It was the first round of the 1993 Formula One season
The season started off in Kyalami where Prost took pole ahead of
Senna, Schumacher, Hill, Alesi and Lehto, impressing in Sauber's
first Grand Prix. At the start, Prost was poor and Senna and Hill
(who was already ahead of Schumacher) got ahead of him. Then, Hill
spun in front of Prost and dropped well down the field, Prost being
forced to back off and let Schumacher through to second. Senna led
Schumacher, Prost, Lehto, Wendlinger and Alesi at the end of lap
Prost attacked Schumacher, took second on lap 13 and set off after
Senna. Five laps later, he attacked into the first corner but Senna
took the inside and defended. However, Senna could not do anything
when Prost attacked on lap 25 with the inside line. He took the
lead and motored off. Schumacher also passed Senna to take second
soon after. Both of them pitted unlike Prost, but Senna was quicker
and rejoined ahead.
Schumacher was in no mood to stay third and attacked Senna on lap
40. There was minor contact and Schumacher spun off into
retirement. Patrese was third but he too spun off on lap 47 just as
Christian Fittipaldi passed Lehto. Prost won from Senna, Blundell,
Fittipaldi, Lehto and Berger (he was out but was classified
- Pole position: Alain Prost -
- Fastest lap: Alain Prost - 1:19.492
on lap 40
- Only five cars were running at the end of a race held in
torrential conditions due to a thunderstorm.
- JJ Lehto scored points for the Sauber team on their debut, Mark Blundell scored his first podium finish
(also the Ligier team's first since
1986), and several drivers including Rubens Barrichello, Luca Badoer and Michael Andretti made their first Grand
- To date, this was the last running of the South African Grand Prix.
- This was the first race of that season where there was no
current defending driver's champion in the field as the original
defending champion Nigel Mansell moved
to Indy Racing League.
- Since there was no defending driver's champion in the field
this season, one of the defending constructor's champion Williams team's cars could not use #1. Therefore,
this was the first race since 1973 that the car #0 was used.