79th Street is a major
two-way street in the Upper East Side and Upper West Side of the New York City borough of
Manhattan. East 79th Street stretches from East End
Avenue to Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side, where it enters Central
Park through Miners' Gate. The 79th Street Transverse crosses
Park, connecting Hunters Gate at West 81st Street on the Upper West Side
to Children's Gate on East 79th. 79th Street does not
exist between Central Park West
and Columbus Avenue, due
to the superblock occupied by the American Museum
of Natural History. West of Columbus Avenue, 79th Street
continues and terminates at an exit/entrance ramp for the West Side Highway, under which sit the
Boat Basin Cafe and 79th Street Boat
79th Street Boat Basin.
On the west side, the street is entirely within the boundaries of
10024; on the east side, as of
July 1, 2007, the ZIP Code for this part of the Lenox Hill Post
Office Branch changed from 10021 to 10075.
The interchange on the Hudson River and the boat basin were
constructed by 1937, during the tenure of Robert Moses
as Parks Commissioner, as part of
the grand architectural multi-level entry and exit from the
Henry Hudson Parkway
name of the "79th Street Grade Crossing Elimination Structure", and
first proposed in 1934. The project was designed to have 79th
Street pass under the Parkway, eliminating a railroad grade crossing
. Designed by Gilmore David Clarke
, the Works Projects Administration
provided $5.1 million for the project, which included an
underground parking garage (still functioning) and a restaurant as
well as the marina.
Lucerne Apartments, 201 West 79th
Street, at Amsterdam Avenue (Harry B.
Mulliken, architect, as Hotel Lucerne, 1903-04)
79th Street station on the IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue
Line is located at the intersection of 79th Street and Broadway.
It is served by the train (all times), and
by the train (late nights).
crosstown bus route runs from between the 79th Street Boat Basin
and East End Avenue at all times.
Shepherd Art Gallery, at 58 East
City and Suburban Homes Avenue A
Saint Monica's Roman Catholic Church,
Broadway stands The
Apthorp (Clinton and
Russell, architects, 1908), one of the West Side's classic
apartment blocks, and the First Baptist Church in the City of New
York (George M. Kaiser, architect, 1891).
- Between 6th and 7th Avenues, on the line of
West 79th Street as it was drawn through what became Central Park was the south end of the Receiving Reservoir, a
vital storage part of the Croton
Aqueduct of 1842. Water was piped down from Westchester
County, over the Harlem River and down the west side to the Receiving Reservoir,
located between 79th and 86th Streets and Sixth and Seventh Avenues in an area then
known as Yorkville. The Reservoir was a fortress-like
building long and wide, and held up to 180 million gallons of
water. Thirty-five million gallons flowed into it daily from
- The south side of the block between Fifth and Madison is
protected as a rare unbroken row of townhouses. It begins at the
corner of Fifth with the French Renaissance Harry
F. Sinclair House (1897-98), now housing the Ukrainian