The Full Wiki

More info on 93d Operations Group

93d Operations Group: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The 93d Operations Group (92 OG) is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 93d Air Control Wing, stationed at Moody Air Force Basemarker, Georgiamarker. The unit was inactivated on 1 Oct 2002

During World War II, the group's predecessor unit, the 93d Bombardment Group was the first VIII Bomber Command B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment groups to carry out strategic bombardment operations against targets in Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany from RAF Alconburymarker, Englandmarker. The group became operational with a mission over Occupied France on 9 October 1942

History

For additional history and lineage, see 93d Air-Ground Operations Wing

Lineage

  • Constituted as 93d Bombardment Group (Heavy) on January 28, 1942
Activated on March 1, 1942
Redesignated 93d Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in Jul 1945
Redesignated 93d Bombardment Group (Medium) in May 1948
Inactivated on 16 Jun 1952
  • Redesignated: 93d Operations Group on 1 Sep 1991
Activated on 1 Sep 1991
Inactivated on 31 Oct 1994
  • Activated on 29 Jan 1996
Inactivated on 1 Oct 2002


Assignments

Attached to: 201st Provisional Combat Bombardment Wing, 25 Mar-13 Dec 1943
20th Combat Bombardment Wing, 13 Sep 1943-12 Jun 1945
Detached to: Far East Air Force, (Kadena ABmarker, Okinawamarker), 15 May-25 Aug 1948
Detached to: Far East Air Forces Bomber Command: (Yokota ABmarker, Japanmarker), 15 Jul 1950-30 Jan 1951


Components

  • 12th Airborne Command and Control Squadron: 29 Jan 1996-1 Oct 2002
  • 16th Airborne Command and Control Squadron: 29 Jan 1996-1 Oct 2002
  • 93rd Training Squadron: 29 Jan 1996-1 Oct 2002
  • 328th Bombardment Squadron: 1 Mar 1942-15 Jun 1952; 1 Sep 1991-31 Oct 1994
World War II fuselage code: GO; ACC tail code: CA
  • 329th Bombardment Squadron: 1 Mar 1942-15 Jun 1952
World War II fuselage code: RE
  • 330th Bombardment Squadron: 1 Mar 1942-15 Jun 1952
World War II fuselage code: AG
  • 409th Bombardment Squadron: 1 Mar 1942-6 Jul 1945; 20 Aug 1945-6 May 1946
  • 924th Air Refueling Squadron: 1 Sep 1991-31 Oct 1994


Stations





Aircraft assigned



Operational History

World War II

Emblem of the 93d Bombardment Group
The 93d Bombardment Group was activated on 1 Mar 1942. It initially prepared for combat with B-24's. Engaged in antisubmarine operations over the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea as part of the III Bomber Command, May–Jul 1942.

The group ,oved to England, Aug–Sep 1942, and was assigned to Eighth Air Force. It was assigned to the 20th Combat Bombardment Wing. The group flew it's B-24 Liberator aircraft with a tail code of "Circle B". The 93d was the first Liberator-equipped bomber group to reach the Eighth Air Force. The group became operational with the B-24 on 9 October 1942 by attacking steel and engineering works at Lillemarker Francemarker. Until December, the group operated primarily against submarine pens along the French coast along the Bay of Biscaymarker.

While the 93d was at RAF Alconbury, His Majesty, King George VI paid his first visit to an Eighth Air Force base on 13 November 1942. During the visit, he was shown the B-24 "Teggie Ann", then considered to be the 93d's leading aircraft.

On 6 December 1942 most of the group was transferred to Twelfth Air Force in North Africa to support the Operation Torchmarker landings. The group receiving a Distinguished Unit Citation for operations in that theatre, December 1942 - February 1943, when, with inadequate supplies and under the most difficult desert conditions, the detachment struck heavy blows at enemy shipping and communications. The detachment returned to England in February 1943

The balance of the 93d BG was moved to RAF Hardwickmarker (Station 104), in Suffolk where B-24 groups were being concentrated. From February 1943 and until the end of June the group bombed engine repair works, harbours, power plants, and other targets in Francemarker, the Low Countries, and Germanymarker.

A detachment returned to the Mediterraneanmarker theatre during June and July 1943 to support the Allied invasion of Sicily and to participate in the famous low-level attack on enemy oil installations at Ploesti on 1 August. Having followed another element of the formation along the wrong course to Ploesti, the 93rd hit targets that had been assigned to other groups, but it carried out its bombing of the vital oil installations despite heavy losses inflicted by attacks from the fully-alerted enemy and was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for the operation.

After the detachment returned to England in August 1943, the group flew only two missions before the detachment was sent back to the Mediterranean to support the Fifth Army at Salernomarker during the invasion of Italy in September 1943.

The detachment rejoined the group in October 1943, and until April 1945 the 93rd concentrated on bombardment of strategic targets such as marshalling yards, aircraft factories, oil refineries, chemical plants, and cities in Germany. In addition it bombed gun emplacements, choke points, and bridges near Cherbourgmarker during the Normandy invasion in June 1944. It attacked troop concentrations in northern France during the St Lomarker breakthrough in July 1944; transported food, gasoline, water, and other supplies to the Allies advancing across France, August - September 1944; dropped supplies to airborne troops in Holland on 18 September 1944; struck enemy transportation and other targets during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 - January 1945; and flew two missions on 24 March 1945 during the airborne assault across the Rhinemarker, dropping supplies to troops near Weselmarker and bombing a night-fighter base at Stormede.

The 93d Bomb Group ceased combat operations in April 1945, and returned to Sioux Falls AAFmarker South Dakotamarker during May/June for B-29 Superfortress transition training, prior to deployment to the Pacific Theater. However, the deployment never took place as the war in the Pacific ended. The group was demobilized and was eventually inactivated in December 1945.

Strategic Air Command

The 93d Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) was activated at Merced Field, California on 21 June 1946 which was assigned to Merced for Boeing B-29 Superfortress training. The 93d was one of SAC's first ten bomb groups. There were three initial operational squadrons (328th, 329th, and 330th) which absorbed the equipment and aircraft of the deactivated 444th BG.

On 1 October 1946 the airfield was put on "minimal operations on caretaker status", with control of the facility under Colorado Springs AAF. The 93d Bomb Group, however remained active. It, along with the 509th Composite Group at Roswell Army Air Field, New Mexicomarker, was all there was of Strategic Air Command at that time. The airfield remained in this status until 1 May 1947 when it was reactivated.

On 1 May 1947, Castle Army Airfield was reactivated under Strategic Air Command. On 28 July 1947, the 93d Bombardment Wing, (Very Heavy) was established and took host unit responsibility from the group as part of the Hodgson "Base-Wing" plan. During 1947-1948, it flew Boeing B-29 Superfortresses, but soon received the upgraded version of the B-29, the Boeing B-50A. In 1948, the entire group deployed to Kadena ABmarker, Okinawamarker, becoming the first Strategic Air Command bomb group to deploy in full strength to the Far East.

During the early days of the Korean War, the 93d BG received B-29s from flyable storage and deployed from the United States to Yokota ABmarker, Japanmarker. Under control of the FEAF Bomber Command (Provisional) until January 1951, the 93d bombed factories, refineries, iron works, hydroelectric plants, airfields, bridges, tunnels, troop concentrations, barracks, marshalling yards, road junctions, rail lines, supply dumps, docks, vehicles and other strategic and interdiction targets.

Upon its return to Castle AFB in 1951, the group was re-equipped with B-50s. In June 1952 the group was inactivated when the Air Force reorganized its wings into the tri-deputate system.

Modern era

On 1 September 1991, the 93d Bombardment Wing was redesignated as the 93d Wing under the "Objective Wing" concept adapted by the Air Force as the lines between tactical and strategic forces blurred The flying components of the wing were reassigned to the newly established 93d Operations Group. Upon activation, the 93 OG was bestowed the history, lineage and honors of the 93d Bombardment Group from the 93 Wing.

As part of their new mission, the 92d OG also gained the B-52 Stratofortress squadrons from the 93d Wing. However, the operations of the reestablished group was short, On 1 June 1992 the 93d was relieved from assignment to SAC and was reassigned to the newly-formed Air Combat Command (ACC). Its B-52G aircraft given the ACC tail code of "CA" and carried blue tail stripes. The 328d Bomb Squadron was inactivated 3 May 1994, and the wing and group was placed on non-operational status. The group was inactivated on 31 Oct 1994.

Just four months later, however, it was reactivated as the operational arm of the 93d Air Control Wing and was reactivated at Robins AFB, Georgia on 29 January 1996. It was equipped with the E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (Joint STARS) and it accepted its first production aircraft on 11 June 1996.

Some crews and aircraft deployed from Robins AFB to Bosnia in 1996 to support the Joint Endeavor peacekeeping operation. Deployed to Southwest Asia in response to Iraq's refusal to cooperate with United Nations weapons inspectors, 18 Feb-3 Jun 1998. Between 23 Feb-28 Jun 1999, deployed aircraft and personnel to Ramstein AB, Germany to assist in monitoring Serbian withdrawal from Kosovo.

Upon inactivation on 1 Oct 2002; Georgia Air National Guard's 116 Air Control Wing assumed command responsibility for JSTARS mission.

References

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Freeman, Roger A. (1978) Airfields of the Eighth: Then and Now. After the Battle ISBN 0900913096
  • Freeman, Roger A. (1991) The Mighty Eighth The Colour Record. Cassell & Co. ISBN 0-304-35708-1
  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.


External links


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message