The Full Wiki

Aabenraa: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The city of Aabenraa ( , ; North Frisian Apenrua; Sønderjysk Affenråe) is situated at the head of the Aabenraa Fjord, an arm of the Little Beltmarker, in Denmarkmarker, 38 miles (61 km) north of the town of Schleswigmarker. Its name originally meant "open beach" ( ). Aabenraa is located in Aabenraa Municipality. If modern Danish orthography were adhered to, the spelling would be Åbenrå.

History

Aabenraa started growing in the early Middle Ages around Opnør Hus, the bishop's castle, and received status as a merchant town in 1240. During the Middle Ages the town was known for its fishing industry and for its production of hops.

Between 1560 and 1721 the town was under the rule of the Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp.

The town's glory days were during the period of the 1750s to c. 1864, when ship traffic was at a high growth rate with trade to the Mediterranean Seamarker, Chinamarker, South America, and Australia. It possessed a good harbour, which afforded shelter for a large carrying trade, Aabenraa having the Danish monarchy's third-largest trade fleet, after Copenhagenmarker and Flensborgmarker. The city had a number of well-known shipbuilding yards, which were known for their fine ships. The most famous of these was the clipper Cimber, which in 1857 sailed from Liverpoolmarker to San Franciscomarker in 106 days. Fishing and various small factories also provided occupation for the population.

From 1864 as a result of the Second War of Schleswig it was part of Prussia, and as such part of the North German Confederationmarker, and from 1871 onwards, part of the German Empiremarker. In the 1920 Schleswig Plebiscite that brought Northern Schleswig to Denmark, 55.1 % of Aabenraa's inhabitants voted for remaining part of Germany and 44.9 % voted for the cession to Denmark.

Today

The town has a 7.5 meter (25-ft) deep harbour, with a significant shipping trade. There is varied industry in the city, including Marcussen's Organ Building (Marcussens Orgelbyggeri) and Callesens Machineworks (Callesens Maskinfabrik). The city is the administrative center for the county. Danmarks Radio has an office in the city. A significant German minority live in Aaaberna and they publish "Der Nordschleswiger" newspaper in German.

Some significant buildings in the town are St. Nikolai Church (St. Nikolaj kirke) from the time of King Valdemar with construction beginning ca. 1250. Brundlund Castle (Brundlund Slot) was erected by Queen Margaret I around 1400. The town is a bathing resort, as is Elisenlund close by.

The city has several preserved neighborhoods from the 1800s including Slotsgade, Store Pottergade, Lille Pottergade, Nygade, Nybro, Skibbrogade and Gildegade.

Education in Aabenraa

A branch of University College South ( ) can be found in Aabenraa.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message