The Full Wiki

More info on Adlington, Lancashire

Adlington, Lancashire: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Adlington is a town and civil parish in Lancashiremarker, Englandmarker near the West Pennine Moorsmarker and the larger town of Chorleymarker. It became a separate parish in 1842 then grew into a town around the textile and coal mining industries until these closed in the 1960s.

History

The early history of the Adlington District is obscured by the mists of time although the title itself provides clues to its origins. The last element of the name 'ington' possibly dates it as one of the Lancashire Anglo-Saxon settlements dating from about A.D. 650, while the first element contains a reference to the one time owner of the lands, Prince Eadwulf. Therefore Adlington is derived from the fact that Prince Eadwulf chose to settle with his people in the area and the place became known as Eadwulf's Tun (settlement) or the Tun of the Aethling or Prince. Throughout the centuries the spelling of the name has changed. In 1190 it was Edeluinton in 1202 Adelventon in 1246 Adelinton and, finally, in 1288 Adlington.

Governance

The coat of arms of Adlington Town Council


Transport

The town is served by the A6 Road going towards Chorleymarker in the north and Horwichmarker and Blackrodmarker to the north. The M61 motorway passes to the eastern fringe of the town. Originally there was a junction planned for the M61 off Babylon Lane but this proved to be to un-economical.

Adlington railway stationmarker sits on the Preston to Manchester Railway line. the town was once served by another station; White Bear railway stationmarker located on station road which sat on the Lancashire Union Line running between Wiganmarker and Blackburnmarker. The station closed in the 1960s with the ticket office remaining as a local cafe. Evidence can be found throughout adlington of the towns lost line.

Sports and recreation

Adlington has a King George's Field in memorial to King George V

Notable people

In 1889, a J W Wallace moved to 40 Babylon Lane from Boltonmarker. He and a number of friends had formed a group called 'The Eagle St College'. Their aims were to meet on a regular basis and discuss literary/political issues of the day.Soon, the group became interested in the writings of Walt Whitman, America'smarker leading poet. Wallace and a few of the group went over to America to meet him and there was a great deal of correspondence. In fact, when Wallace died most of the material was sent to Bolton Museum and it now holds the largest collection of Whitman related papers outside America.Wallace was an influential figure at the time and people like Keir Hardie (founder of the Labour Party) and Edward Carpenter (philosopher) stayed at 40 Babylon Lane on a regular basis. He was also in contact with George Bernard Shaw, the Irishmarker writer.

References

  1. Recreation in Adlington


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message