The Full Wiki

Agrinio: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Agrinion (Greek, Modern: Αγρίνιο, Ancient/Katharevousa: -on, older form: Agrinion, Latin: Agrinium) is the largest city and a municipality of the Aetolia-Acarnania prefecture of Greecemarker, with about 100,000 inhabitants (57,174 official population) home to around a quarter of the prefecture's population. The settlement dates back to ancient times. Ancient Agrinion was 3 km northeast of the present town; some walls and foundations have been excavated. In medieval times and until 1925, the area was known as Vrachori or Vrahori (Βραχώρι).

The majority of local people were for a time tobacco farmers at the close of 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries; companies included the famous Papastratos, alongside Panagopoulou and Papapetrou. Agrinion is agriculturally famous for its main production of Agrinion olives.



According to mythology, it was built by king Agrios, son of Portheus and a great grandson of Aetolos.It was destroyed by Cassander in 314 BC.

Ottoman Era

The area during the Ottoman period was inhabited mostly by Turks. In 1585 it was deserted during the revolt of Theodoros Migas. At the beginning of the 18th century it became the administrative center of Aitoloakarnania (then as the sanjak of Karlieli), depended on the imperial harems. It participated in the Greek Revolution. It was temporarily liberated on June 11, 1821. It became member of the newborn state permanently in 1832 with the treaty of Kalendar Kiosk (July 9 1832) and was again named Agrinion.

Modern Era

During the Greco-Turkish War or the Asia Minor Catastrophe, many inhabitants coming from Asia Minormarker in what is now western Turkeymarker settled the city and in Agios Konstantinos where the population had come from Epirus and Evrytania.

The city saw the pavement of streets and a water tower was installed in 1930. The city received electricity and the ancient city was uncovered. Growth and prosperity returned after World War II and the Greek Civil War which saw repairs to some buildings. The growth generated economic growth by the dam.


The city was struck by several earthquakes, its epicenter was in nearby Lake Trichonidamarker southeast of the city, close to the centre. The first quake rumbled at around 2 AM, the second around 6 AM, three earthquakes shook at 10:13, 10:14 and 10:15 AM, and the last one at around 10:45 AM, it measured 5.3, 5.4, 5.6 and 5.7 on the Richter scale. Residents living and walking in the city centre reported that the buildings and its glasses were shaking and rumbling. Minor damages were reported.

On June 7, 2007 a low pressure-system including heavy torrential rains arrived from Southern and Central Europe stranding several persons, and flooding several homes.


It is linked by GR-5/E55 which since the 1960s bypasses Agrinion and GR-38/E862? linking to Karpenisimarker and Lamiamarker to the east. The city is located NW of the Rion-Antirrhion Bridge, N of Messolonghimarker, NE of Astakosmarker, ESE of Lefkadamarker and Prevezamarker, S of Artamarker and Ioanninamarker, and WSW of Karpenisi and Lamia.





Its main seal includes a characteristic moment of the ancient Greek mythology. More Specifically its seal depicts Hercules fighting the river-god Achelous


Historical population

Year Town population Municipality population
1981 35,773 -
1991 39,638 52,081
2001 42,390 54,523



Sporting teams

See also


  1. Gerasimos Papatrehas, "The history of Agrinion", Municipality of Agrinio, 1991

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address