Albrecht Luitpold Ferdinand Michael, Duke of Bavaria,
of Franconia and in Swabia, Count Palatine of the
( 3 May 1905 – 8 July 1996), was the son of
Prince of Bavaria
and his first wife, Duchess Marie Gabrielle in
. He was the one surviving child from that marriage. His
paternal grandfather was Ludwig
III of Bavaria
, the last King of
who was deposed in 1918.
family, the House of
Wittelsbach, were opposed to the regime of Nazi Germany and in 1940 Albrecht took his
family to his estate at Sárvár, Vas, Hungary.
1944, when Germany occupied Hungary, the Wittelsbachs were arrested
and imprisoned in the Sachsenhausen concentration
camp at Oranienburg, Brandenburg. In April 1945 they were moved to the Dachau
concentration camp, where they were liberated by the United States Army.
Albrecht became Head of the Royal Family of Bavaria with the death
of his father on 2 August 1955. From that date he was regarded by Jacobites as the rightful King of England, Scotland, Ireland and
Marriage and children
On 1930, Albrecht married Countess Maria Franziska Juliana
Johanna Draskovich von Trakostjan
(1904-1969). Four children
were born from this marriage:
- Princess Marie Gabrielle Antonia José (born 1931).
Married Georg, Fürst von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
1928) and they have six children:
- Countess Walburga von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
- Countess Gabriele von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
- Countess Monika von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
- Erich, Hereditary Count von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg
- Countess Adelheid of Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
- Countess Elisabeth von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (born
- Princess Marie Charlotte Juliana (born 1931,
Gabrielle's twin). Married Paul, Fürst von Quadt zu Wykradt und
Isny (born 1930) and they have four children:
- Alexander, Hereditary Count von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born
- Countess Maria-Anna von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born
- Countess Georgina von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born
- Count Bertram von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny (born 1966).
- Franz, Duke of
Bavaria (born 14 July 1933).
- Max-Emanuel Ludwig
Maria, Duke in Bavaria (born 1937), married the Swedish
Countess Elizabeth Douglas-Stjernorp (born 1940) and they have five
daughters, who bear the titles Princess of Bavaria, Duchess in
- Duchess Sophie Elisabeth
Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967). Married
Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein.
- Duchess Marie Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria
(born 1969). Married Duke Philipp of Württemberg.
- Duchess Helene Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in
Bavaria (born 1972).
- Duchess Elizabeth Marie Charlotte Franziska in Bavaria
(born 1973). Married Daniel Terberger.
- Duchess Maria Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julia in
Bavaria (born 1973). Married Klaus Runow.
In 1971, Albrecht married Countess Marie-Jenke Clara Clementine
Antonia Stephanie Walburga Paula Keglevich von Buzin
(1921-1983). They had no issue.