The Full Wiki

More info on Allesley

Allesley: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Allesley Hall, which has a small golf course in its grounds
Allesley ( ) is a civil parish on the northwestern edge of the City of Coventrymarker, West Midlands, Englandmarker, about 3 miles (5 km) west of Coventry City Centre. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 805. Until recently it has been home to a factory belonging to the car maker, Jaguar. Despite now being a suburb of Coventry, several original buildings have survived from when the area was an independent village.

Most of the old village, nearest the church, is a conservation area on a low ridge of high ground between the River Sherbourne and the Pickford Brook, a tributary.

The Parish of Allesley

The Parish of Allesley is a much larger area that includes Allesley, and is based around Washbrook Lane and the top of Browns Lane via Hawkesmill Lane. The Parish incorporates the Ancient Ardens of Pinketts Booth, Pickford, Pickford Green, Harvest Hill, Hawkes End, Hollyberry End, Wall Hill, and Brownshill Green.

The suburbs of Allesley Park and Allesley Green (built in the late-1980s) lie in the south and west. Allesley Park is the estate on the other side of the by-pass. Allesley Greenmarker is an estate to the east of the A45. Allesley Village is the area east the Birmingham Road including West Point. Allesley Village is not much more than a suburb of Coventry, but retains several of the aspects of a village.

History

Allesley grew around the 800 year old All Saints Church, the spire of which is prominent on the skyline of the village. Originally built around 1130, it was rebuilt in 1863 and remains relatively unaltered since then.

The Birmingham Road which runs through the village, is part of the main road built between 1828 and 1831 by Thomas Telford from Holyheadmarker to Londonmarker. A toll house originally stood at the junction of the Holyhead Road and Allesley Old Road, and users of the Holyhead or Turnpike Road were charged a toll as a means of contributing towards the cost of building the road. Around 1930, the charges were discontinued and the toll house was demolished in the mid 1930s.

References



  • David Fry and Albert Smith: (1991). The Coventry We Have Lost. Vol 1. Simanda Press, Berkswell ISBN 0-9513867-1-9
  • David Fry and Albert Smith: (1993). The Coventry We Have Lost. Vol 2. Simanda Press, Berkswell ISBN 0-9513867-2-7



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message