The Full Wiki

More info on Amboori

Amboori: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Amboori or Amboory is a village in the south east of Thiruvananthapurammarker district in the state of Keralamarker in Indiamarker. Amboori is long inhabited by kanikar tribe. Amboori is a grama Panchayat with a population (as of 2001) of 9,839. Demography is dominated by Nadars, who form around 40% total population, rest include Catholics,Pulayas, Ezhavas, Nairs etc. Another important ethnic group in the area is kanikar tribe, about 20,00 members of this tribe inhabit in the area. They use the title Kanikar Kani.

Amboori is 40 km (25 miles) from the Agastiya mountainmarker peak where Sage Agastiya, the founder of Ayurveda, is believed to have built his hermitage.

Geography

Amboori is situated in the southern tip of western ghats, surrounded by hills. South east of Amboori is the state of Tamil Nadumarker. It is surrounded by the grama panchayaths of Vellarada, Aryancode and Kallikkadu in the south, south-west and west respectively. The eastern part is covered by densely forested Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Amboori is well-known for its high-yielding rubber plantations, however, the also cultivates coconut, pepper, herbs, and medicinal plants. Amboori contains a plantation of holy Rudraksha (Eleocarpus Spaericus) trees. Adjoining Amboori is the Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary that is separated from the populated area by the catchment area of Neyyar Reservoir.

In the western hills of Amboori there is a large boulder called the Dravyappara (the treasure rock). It is believed that Raja of Venad, later Thiruvithamcore or Travancore, on his exile, spent his days on the top of this rock. There are seventy two steps carved on the side of the boulder allowing one to ascend to the top. The height of the Dravyappara is approximately 700 ft from its base and approximately 1500 ft above sea level. There is cave temple in the top of dravayappara.

Amboori Landslide occurred on 09th November 2001.
The event killed 39 people


Amboori has witnessed a large landslide in 2001 which claimed the life of 39 people. The tragedy occurred when a hill collapsed on to a house where there was a family gathering.

History

Amboori was inhabited by members of Kanikar tribe since time immemorial. After Second World War the princely state of Travancore experinced severe famine. so the Raja of Travancore allowed Nasranis of Pala and Kottayam to settle in uncultivated Western Ghats ranges. That resulted large scale migration to tribal areas and alineation of tribal land. Early settlememt of Christians was in Pantha, located north of Amboori, near Mayam. The St. Mary's Church of Mayam was the first Roman Catholic church in the area. St.Mary's School, Mayam was the first primary School in the area. Later during the construction of Neyyar Reservoir, the people of Pantha, mostly Christians, Pulayas and Parayas were forced to resettle. Most of them resettled in Amboori.In 1947 twenty-five families of the Central Travencore Christians made their way into the hills of what was to be called Amboori. The people found their way to the hill on which Amboory resides by carrying their possessions almost 12 km beyond Panachamoodu, the last point then served by public transportation.

The first three years was rife with hardship for Amboorians as they fought malaria and wild animals. Many lost their lives but could not be cared for or buried properly. In 1950 another fifty more families from Palai, Changanachery, Thodupuzha, and Chengannorr ventured to Amboory to make their homes there.

Educational Institutions

St. Thomas Higher Secondary School, both English and Malayalam medium.St. Joseph's primary schoolSt. Mary's Upper Primary School, Mayam.Tribal Primary School, Puravimalai.Kovilloor LPS Kannannoor is one of first LP school in amboory area.Govt. LP School, Kuttamalai UP School,sT.MARY'S LL.P.SCHOOL Thekkupara, S.h> Nusry school Thekkuppara,Industrial Training Centre for Scheduled Tribes, Kuttamala.Gopalan Memorial Library and research institute situated in Koottappu

Legends

Legend has it that the poor citizens of Amboory used to get small loans from an unnamed Goddess (spirit) of the Dravyappara. A request for money was to be said aloud standing next to a large granite door on the northeastern side of the rock. On approval of the loan by the devata, a granite bucket on the southeastern side of the door would be filled with the requested amount. The citizen was expected to remit the same amount in a reasonable time frame by dropping the money in the bucket and pronouncing aloud that the money was deposited.

It was an unspoken rule that no one should look inside the door, however, one day a young man, while returning the loan of his father, waited to see who the lender was. Eventually he saw a beautiful nude woman come out, take the money, and turn to go inside. However, as the story goes, she sees the young man and, instantaneously, the door of the Dravyappara closed forever with large thunderclap.

There are villagers who believe that one day the door will open again, and they perform puja (worship rituals) regularly on the southeastern side of the Dravyappara where there are three narrow entrances.

The Kani Tribe of Amboory have another legend in which one of the oldest devotees of the Dravyappara received a divine vision of a Devi (goddess) while performing his puja. She reportedly told him, "I will open the door for you provided you can sow and reap the rice in a single day" from a certain paddy field. However, the tribe has no conclusion to the story.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message