The Full Wiki

More info on Annan, Dumfries and Galloway

Annan, Dumfries and Galloway: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The former royal burgh of Annan (Gaelic: Anainn) is a well-built town, red sandstone being the material mainly used. Among its public buildings is Annan Academy of which the writer Thomas Carlyle was a pupil, a Georgian building now known as "Bridge House". The Town Hall, built in Victorian style in 1878, uses the local sandstone. Annan also features a Historic Resources Centre. In Port Street, some of the windows remain blocked up to avoid paying the window tax.

Geography and administration

Annan River road bridge
Annan stands on the River Annanmarker nearly 2 miles from its mouth, 15 miles from Dumfriesmarker, in the region of Dumfries and Galloway on the Solway Firthmarker in the south of Scotlandmarker. Eastriggsmarker is about 3 miles to the east and Gretnamarker is about 8 miles to the east.

Annan Bridge, a stone bridge of three arches, built between 1824 and 1827, carries road traffic over the River Annan. It was designed by Robert Stevenson and built by John Lowry. There is also a railway bridge and a nearby pedestrian bridge over the River Annan, and the town is served by Annan railway stationmarker. The train turntable was designed and developed in Annan, it can be seen today in the York Railway Museum.


Roman remains exist in the neighbourhood.

Annan Castle formed the original home of the 'de Brus' family, later known as the "Bruces", lords of Annandale, which most famously produced Robert the Bruce. The Balliols and the Douglases were also more or less closely associated with Annan. During the period of the Border lawlessness the inhabitants suffered repeatedly at the hands of moss-troopers and through the feuds of rival families, in addition to the losses caused by the Scottish Wars of Independence. It was at Annan in December 1332 that Bruce supporters overwhelmed Balliol's forces to bring about the end of the first invasion of Scotland in the Second War of Scottish Independence.

Annan served as a maritime town whose shipbuilding yards built many clippers and other boats. A cairn on the jetty commemorates Robert Burns, who worked as an exciseman here in the 1790s. Although the port is now mainly dry, a few stranded boats remain.

Annan Academy has a history that goes back to the 17th century; its current buildings include modern 1960s built buildings and older buildings on St John's Road.

In early 2009 the oldest building on the high street was demolished despite being protected under Historic Scotland rules .

Other notable people

  • Edward Irving - a native of the town; there is a statue of him in the grounds of Annan Old Parish Church. The statue was relocated from outside the town hall in the 1960s.

  • Hardy Wright - greyhound trainer who lived initially at Watchhall, responsible for bringing the Barbican Cup (coursing) to Scotland for the first time.


There are plans to re-open the distillery in Annan which last produced a Lowland Malt 90 years ago although this is still in early stages.


Annan is served by several churches of different denominations, including: There is also a local interchurch group, known as Annandale Churches Together. [142162]


Just outside the town, the Chapelcross nuclear power stationmarker has now shut down and is decommissioning. The four cooling towers were demolished in 2007.

Nearby, John Maxwell, 4th Lord Herries, built Hoddom Castle (circa 1552 - 1565).

Image:AnnanHighSt.jpg|High StreetImage:Chapelcross1.jpg|Chapelcross power station (now partially demolished)Image:AnnanAcademy.jpg|Annan Academy (old buildings)Image:AnnanWarMemorial.jpg|War memorial, High Street

See also


  • Ordnance Survey Explorer Map (number 323) - 1:25,000 scale (2.5 inches to 1 mile)

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address