The Full Wiki

Antioch, California: Map

  
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Antioch (formerly, East Antioch, Smith's Landing, and Marshs Landing) is a city in Contra Costa County, Californiamarker. Located in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Areamarker along the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Deltamarker, it is a suburb of San Franciscomarker and Oaklandmarker. The city's population was 90,532 at the U.S. 2000 census.

History

Antioch was one of the oldest towns in California, having been founded in 1850. The year following the discovery of gold, there was a plague that over-took the city and wiped out most of the population.

The town was founded by two brothers, William and Joseph Smith, who named the town Smith’s Landing. In 1851, the town's new minister persuaded the residents to change the name of the town to Antioch, for the Biblical city of Antioch, Syriamarker.

Around 1859, coal was discovered in several places in the hills south of Antioch and coal mining formed the first substantial business apart from farming and dairying by the inhabitants of this community. This new industry resulted in the founding of the towns of Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartsville, and Black Diamond (now Pittsburg, Californiamarker), and added greatly to the economic activity of the Antioch area. The Empire Coal Company was formed by John C. Rouse and George Hawxhurst in 1876, which built a railroad that passed from Antioch toward the mines over what is now "F Street" (formerly Kimball Street). However, later on, both the mine and the railroad passed into the hands of the Belshaw brothers. The mines have long ago ceased operation, and the railroad tracks have dug up, though the building that served as the Antioch terminus of the railroad still stands on the corner of F Street and Fourth Street, and the grading and trestles still remain much as they were in those early days.

In 1863, a great excitement arose over the discovery of copper ore near Antioch. Smelting works were built at Antioch, and a value of fifteen to twenty-five dollars per ton was paid for the ore, according to its quality. Unfortunately the copper bubble eventually burst, to the dismay of the citizens with connections. Petroleum was first drilled for near Antioch in 1865, but not enough oil was found to make a decent profit.

The Antioch Post Office was opened in 1851, closed in 1852, re-opened in 1855, closed again in 1862, and it has operated continuously since re-opening in 1863. The city of Antioch was incorporated in 1872.

The Antioch Ledger was first issued on March 10, 1870, and in all its forty-seven years never missed an issue. In memory of when the paper was formed, a copy of its first issue has been framed and hangs over the desk of the present editor. It is five by eight inches in size, printed on one side only, and its sole news item is a report and editorial comment on women's suffrage meeting that had just been held in the town. The Ledger later merged with the Contra Costa Times and printed its last issue in 2005.

Antioch was once the home of a significant Chinese-American community, but the rest of the town's population violently drove all its Chinese-American residents out of town in May 1876.

Today, Antioch is mainly a "bedroom" community, with most adults working in larger cities toward Oaklandmarker and San Franciscomarker. The town has seen an enormous amount of growth in the last 30 years, as the population of the Bay Area continues to grow, and real estate prices force families to move towards the outskirts of the Bay Area.

Since the real estate crash in late 2007, Antioch's foreclosure rates often are among the nation's highest.

The city has a municipal marina[15780] along with other private marinas, boatyards, and yacht clubs. There is a public fishing pier in town, and another out near the Antioch Bridge.

There is also fishing in the San Joaquin River along the Antioch/Oakley Regional Shoreline, located just upstream from Highway 160's Antioch Bridge (also known as Nejedly Bridge). Antioch is home to Brown Cow .

In late 2009 Antioch received worldwide media attention following the news of kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard being discovered alive there, and became the focus of several news stories regarding its 122 registered sex offenders. The LA Times ran a story titled "Sex offenders move to Antioch area 'because they can,'" The Independent ran a story titled "How Jessica's Law turned Antioch into a paedophile ghetto,"
and CNN's Anderson Cooper and Larry King both did similar stories for television; the latter with commentary by TV judge Judy Sheindlin. However, the Contra Costa Times and affiliated newspapers contradicted their claim: "Disturbing, if true. Only it's not, according to a Bay Area News Group analysis of sex offender addresses and census data." The report concluded that the 94509 area code ranked only 39th in the statemarker with 1.5 sex offenders per 1000 (k), with Oaklandmarker, San Franciscomarker, San Josemarker, Bethel Islandmarker, and Vallejo area codes ranked in the top ten. Monte Riomarker ranked first with 4.5 per 1000.


Geography

Antioch is located at , along the San Joaquin River at the western end of the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Deltamarker.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 27.6 square miles (71.4 km²), of which, 27.0 square miles (69.8 km²) of it is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²) of it (2.28%) is water.

Open space



Parks and trails

According to the Public Works Department of Antioch, Antioch is home to 31 parks covering a total of 310 acres (1.3 km²) with an additional 600 acres (2.4 km²) of city-owned open space. It also has 11 miles (18 km) of walking paths connecting communities to parks and schools.

Regional Parks

Within its boundaries it has Contra Loma Regional Park, the Antioch/Oakley Regional Shoreline and Black Diamond Mines Regional Parkmarker, and the Mokelumne Coast to Crest Trail and Delta de Anza Regional Trail. According to the East Bay Regional Parks District, these three parks take up 6,493 acres (26.3 km²); approximately 38% of Antioch’s total land mass.

Just outside Antioch’s city limit is the 2,024 acre (8.2 km²) Round Valley Regional Preserve.

National Protected Land

Established in 1980, Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refugemarker was the first national wildlife refuge in the country established for the purpose of protecting endangered plants and insects. It is located on the south shore of the San Joaquin River in Antioch.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 90,532 people, 29,338 households, and 23,177 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,359.5 people per square mile (1,297.0/km²). There were 30,116 housing units at an average density of 1,117.6/sq mi (431.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 65.33% White, 9.75% Black or African American, 0.93% Native American, 7.40% Asian, 0.40% Pacific Islander, 9.23% from other races, and 6.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 22.12% of the population.

There were 29,338 households out of which 46.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.3% were married couples living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.0% were non-families. 15.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.42.

In the city the population was spread out with 32.3% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 32.4% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.0 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $60,359, and the median income for a family was $64,723. Males had a median income of $50,152 versus $34,203 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,152. About 6.5% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.3% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.

Transportation

Antioch is served by both the Antioch-Pittsburg Amtrak stationmarker, and access to Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) is available at the Pittsburg/Bay Point Stationmarker in Pittsburg. Although public transportation agency Tri-Delta Transit is the predominant provider of public transportation in the Antioch area, County Connection bus #930 also serves Antioch going to John Muir Medical Center, Mitchell Park n' Ride, Railroad Castlewood, Delta Fair Sommersville and Hillcrest Park 'n Ride.

Commercial airports serving this area are:



Other nearby airports serving private aircraft are:



Image:Antioch California Amtrak Station 1.JPG|Westbound view of Antioch, CA Amtrak station platform.Image:Antioch California Amtrak Station 2.JPG|Sign at Antioch, CA Amtrak station.Image:Antioch California Amtrak Station 3.JPG|Eastbound view of Antioch, CA Amtrak station platform.Image:Antioch California Amtrak Station 4.JPG|View of Antioch, CA Amtrak station.

Arts, culture and science

El Campanil Theatre
El Campanil Theatre

The historic El Campanil Theatre opened on November 1, 1928 in downtown Antioch. It now presents a wide variety of entertainment opportunities including Classic Films, Live Theatre, Concerts, Symphony, Ballet, Comedy and is host to numerous local dance and community based organizations such as the Antioch Rivertown Theatre Group.

Arts and Cultural Foundation of Antioch

The Arts & Cultural Foundation of Antioch[15781] organizes education in graphic arts, sculpture, pottery, and performance arts for various age groups. It also hosts the Saturday Summer Concert Series, Delta Blues Festival[15782], Holiday De Lights along with other community events.

Antioch Historical Society Museum

Run by the Antioch Historical Society[15783], the museum is located in the Riverview Union High School. This high school was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. It houses moving historical exhibits and offers tours of the grounds.

Lynn House Gallery

The Lynn House Gallery houses exhibits throughout the year, with an emphasis on providing opportunities for local artists.

Rivertown Art Center

Rivertown Art Center is housed in a historic bank building built in 1923. It is administered by the Arts & Cultural Foundation of Antioch and was created to allow local artists additional opportunities to exhibit their art and to conduct art classes.

ESPACE Academy

The ESPACE Academy[15784] is located within Deer Valley High School and includes a planetarium.

Education

Public schools are run by the Antioch Unified School District, which consists of three high schools, four middle schools, and numerous elementary schools. The three high schools are Antioch High School, Deer Valley High School, and Dozier-Libbey Medical High School. The four middle schools are Antioch Middle School, Park Middle School, Black Diamond Middle School, and Dallas Ranch Middle School. All schools in the district follow a single track schedule, where school begins in late August or early September and concludes in June.

The private schools are primarily religious.The private high schools are: Heritage Baptist Academy (k-12), Delta Christian High School, Cornerstone Christian Academy, and Promised Land Christian High School.The private primary and middle schools are: Cornerstone Christian Academy, Holy Rosary Elementary School[15785], Hilltop Christian School, Kinder Care Learning Center, Antioch Christian School, and Great Beginnings Elementary School.

Antioch is also home to Western Career College.Located on Lone Tree Way. Also Antioch has one school for CPR and First Aid Training, Event First Aid & Safety Services located at 201 G Street, 2nd and G streets.

Notable residents



Fraternal orders

  • Antioch, Brentwood Masonic Lodge #175, Established 1850
  • Fraternal Order of Eagles, Antioch Aerie No. 785, established September 1, 1904.
  • Improved Order of Red Men, related to the Sons of Liberty, the group that participated in the Boston Tea Partymarker.
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows
    • Antioch Encampment No. 114, I. O. O. F., was founded on October 9, 1908
    • Mizpah Rebekah Lodge, instituted June 28, 1888. The Mizpah Lodge is one of the prominent social as well as fraternal societies of the city.
    • San Joaquin Lodge No. 151 established January 9, 1869. Located on the corner of H and Second Street, this lodge is one of the largest and most important in Contra Costa County.
  • Loyal Order of Moose, Antioch Lodge No. 1612, organized in February, 1915.
  • Native Sons of the Golden West, General Winn Parlor No. 32 established July 26, 1884. Every year since its organization it has held a grand masque ball, which has become one of the principal social events of the year. For the last eight years this parlor has given an annual amateur theatrical performance, the entire proceeds being donated to the Homeless Children Fund.
  • Young Men's Institute


  • The Portuguese groups, Portuguese Union of the State of California[15787], UPPEC[15788], IDES, and SPRSI.


References

  1. Both
  2. Contra Costa County History
  3. http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundowntownsshow.php?id=1038
  4. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/detail?&entry_id=46730
  5. Google cached page
  6. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/how-jessicas-law-turned-antioch-into-a-paedophile-ghetto-1780287.html
  7. http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/02/acd.02.html
  8. Transcript
  9. Antioch not the sex offender rat's nest that media suggest, data show, By John Simerman, Contra Costa Times. Ranked in the top ten were Oakland (94612 4.4/k, 94607 3.1/k) San Francisco (94103 3.5/k, 94102 3.1/k) San Jose (95126 3.5/k, 95112 3.2/k), Bethel Island (94511 4.2/k), Vallejo (94590 3.3/k) Alviso (95002 2.8/k), and Monte Rio (95462), which ranked first with 4.5 per 1000.
  10. Recreation.gov


External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message