Sir Arthur William Blomfield
was an English
Son of Bishop C. J. Blomfield,
Arthur Blomfield was educated at Rugby and Trinity College,
He was then articled as an architect to
Philip Charles Hardwick
subsequently obtained a large practice on his own account. The
young Thomas Hardy
practice as assistant architect in April 1862, and the writer
remained friends with Blomfield. He became president of the Architectural
Association in 1861, and a fellow (1867) and vice-president
(1886) of the Royal Institute of British
In 1889, he was knighted. He was awarded the
Royal Gold Medal
He was twice married. His second wife was Lady Blomfield
a noted author and
humanitarian. He had two sons, Charles J. Blomfield
and Arthur Conran Blomfield
, who he
brought up to his own profession, of which they became
distinguished representatives. His nephew, Sir Reginald Blomfield
, apprenticed under
him, and went on to design numerous buildings, public works, and
sculpture, including the Cross of
or War Cross, for the Commonwealth War Graves
. These are in Commonwealth cemeteries in many
Blomfield designed the Royal College of Music in London. In 1887 he became architect to the
England and designed the Law courts Branch in Fleet Street.
He was associated with A. E. Street
, the son of the architect G.E. Street
In 1897 he
completed the restoration of St. Saviour's parish church, Southwark (now Southwark Cathedral).
It is a notable example of his use of a
was highly regarded as a restorer.
In 1899 he
completed St. George's
Anglican Cathedral in Georgetown, Guyana, which was the tallest wooden church in the world
until 2003 when the Peri Monastery
near Săpânţa in northern Romania was completed.
Saints' parish church, Windsor, Berkshire, 1862-64
Andrew's parish church, Leytonstone, Essex 1886-93.
Andrew's parish church, Surbiton, Surrey
- St. Barnabas parish church, Jericho,
Luke's chapel at the former Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, 1864
- St Luke's
Church, Queen's Park, Brighton, Sussex, 1882-85.
Mary's parish church, Banbury, Oxfordshire:
Mary's parish church, Adwell,
Mary's parish church, Liss, Hampshire 1892.
Mark's parish church, Binfield, Berkshire, 1866
Mary's Church, Swansea, Glamorgan, 1896.
- St Mary's Church, Walmer, Kent,
John the Baptist parish church, Eton Wick, Buckinghamshire, 1867-69
- St. Saviour's parish church, Eddington, Berkshire, 1868
Saviour's parish church, Oxford Street, London 1870-73.
Saviour's Church of Ireland parish
church, Arklow, County
James' parish church, Ramsden, Oxfordshire, 1872
John the Baptist parish church, Crowthorne, Berkshire, 1873
- St John the Evangelist's Church, Preston
Village, Brighton, Sussex, 1901.
Mary Magdalene parish church, Woodstock, Oxfordshire: restoration 1878
Michael's parish church, Hughenden, Buckinghamshire,
Michael's parish church, Abbey Wood, Kent, 1907
Nicholas' parish church, Heythrop, Oxfordshire, 1880
- Selwyn College, Cambridge, 1882.
College, Cambridge Bishop's Hostel additions 1878.
- Wellington College, Berkshire: chapel apse and dormitories,
- St. Mark's parish church, Bourne End,
- Chester Cathedral
restoration and additions, 1882.
- Minster Chuch of St Denys,
Warminster, Wiltshire, rebuilding 1887-89.
- Bancroft's School, Woodford
- Charterhouse School, the Great Hall 1884.
- Epsom College Chapel, Surrey 1895
- Eton College, Buckinghamshire: Lower Chapel and Queen's Schools,
- Dartford Grammar
- Haileybury and Imperial Service
College Chapel, 1877.
- Magdalen College School,
- Wellington College, Berkshire: chapel aisles, 1899
Green, London, 1891.
- Memorial to a shining star London, United Kingdom, 10
August 2003 (BWNS)
- Pevsner, 1966, page 299
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 290
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 305
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 436
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 419
- Pevsner, 1966, page 87
- Pevsner, 1960, page 132
- Pevsner, 1966, page 136
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 734
- Pevsner, 1966, page 124
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 856
- Pevsner, 1960, page 172
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 646
- Pevsner, 1966, page 262
- Pevsner, 1960, page 69
- Pevsner, 1960, page 131
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 304
- Pevsner, 1966, page 262