The Full Wiki

Ashland, Pennsylvania: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



There is also Ashland 'markerTownship in Clarion Countymarker.


Ashland is a borough in Schuylkillmarker county in the U.S. state of Pennsylvaniamarker, 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Pottsvillemarker. The Borough lies in the anthracite coal region of eastern Pennsylvania. Settled in 1850, Ashland was incorporated in 1857, and was named for Henry Clay's estate near Lexington, Kentuckymarker. Population in 1900, 6,438; in 1910, 6,855; and in 1940, 7,045. The population was 3,283 at the 2000 census.

Ashland is part of the Pottsvillemarker Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Points of Interest

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train

Ashland is home to the The Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train,called the Lokie. A TOP 10 Tourist Attraction in Pennsylvania. In May 1963, Pioneer Tunnel, which ceased operation in 1931, was retimbered and reopened as a place where visitors could experience a real anthracite coal mine. The Tunnel affords visitors an opportunity to learn how anthracite coal is mined. It shows how a vein of coal lies between rock and strata; it has a gangway, manways, and chutes. Part of the Tunnel is timbered and part lies in solid rock and requires no timbering. The guides are experienced miners who know mining thoroughly. Visitors ride into the Tunnel on mine cars rebuilt to carry passengers; the motive power is provided by an electric mine motor. Deep inside the Tunnel, guests alight from the cars to follow their guides as they give an explanation of deep-mining methods. The other featured attraction is a narrow gauge steam train ride aboard the Lokie Henry Clay. Lokie is a colloquial term for small locomotive. Henry Clay is a steam saddle tank engine of 30 tons used years ago to haul coal cars. Now it pulls passenger mine cars along the side of Mahanoy Mountain. Pioneer Tunnel is owned and operated by Ashland Community Enterprises, a non-profit corporation established for this purpose with the further provision that profits will be used for community welfare, notably parks and playgrounds.

The Museum of Anthracite Mining

The Museum of Anthracite Mining was formerly administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, the Commonwealth's official history agency. In 2006, the museum was turned over to the Borough of Ashland and it's still a museum and home of Ashland's Borough Hall.

A little bit of history: The mining and use of anthracite coal in the 19th century was critical to the industrialization of Pennsylvania and the United States. Its production and use were the basis for the growth of transportation and manufacturing and led to cultural and social changes of major importance.

The Museum of Anthracite Mining focuses on the history of anthracite coal mining industries and technology. It features a diverse collection of tools, machinery and photographs that depicts the mining of hard coal.

Exhibits and equipment offer a unique glimpse of work in and around the anthracite mines, from an era when workers labored underground with pick and shovel—to the surface mining operations of today.

Adjacet to the The Museum of Mining and Anthracite Museum is the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train Tourist attraction.

Mother's Memorial

Not far off the borough's main thoroughfare is the large bronze monument of the Whistler's Mother, visible from Hoffman Blvd. while driving north on Pennsylvania Route 61. PA Route 61 junctions with the PA Route 54 a block in front of the statue. The statue was commissioned in 1937 during the annual Ashland Boys Association (ABA) homecoming. This statue is modeled after 1871 painting of James Abbott McNeill Whistler's (Artist) mother which resides in the famous Musee d'Orsaymarker in Parismarker.

A plaque at its base proclaims that the statue was completed as part of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Work Projects Administration - "Honors all mothers, past and present, and is the only one of its kind in the country."

The Ashland Boys Association Parade

The Ashland Boys Association, established circa 1901, remains active in the borough, and continues to host its annual Labor Day parade based on the association's age-old tradition of inviting its boys back to their stomping grounds to celebrate fond memories of growing up in the Anthracite Region. The ABA Parade was voted #1 on the TOP 10 Festivals for Good Times on Anthracite Coal Region of Pennsylvaniawebsite.

Local folk stories tell how scores of Ashland boys, mining lanterns illuminating the evening streets, would disembark from the train at the base of Main Street and make their way home in a procession, which eventually become the annual ABA parade.

Public Safety

Ashland Police Department

The Ashland Police Department is a 24-hour full-time law enforcement agency that protects and serves the citizens in Borough of Ashland. The police department has been existent for many years, having 24-hour coverage since the 1940s.

In 1867, the Station House (Borough Hall) was built at 5th and Chestnut Street at the cost of $1950.

In 1914, The Ashland Borough Hall at 5th and Chestnut Streets built all new cell lock ups in the basement area.

On Nov. 11, 1927, the Ashland Kiwanis advocated employment of a full-time night officer in the borough. The Kiwanis solicited businesses from 3rd Street to 13th Street, and asked Borough Council to assume liability for the officer. Council would only have to pay $40.00 a month toward the officer.

In 1940, The pump house was built at 15th and Centre Streets under Roosevelt's WPA Program. The police department was moved from the Borough Hall to the Pumping Station for privacy purposes.

In 1992, The Ashland Rotary Club purchased and donated six Glock firearms to the Ashland Police department.

In 1995, Ashland Trusts donated $4,400 for safety equipment.

In 2004, Ashland Police were notified, and with cooperation with state and local authorities for security. U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's motorcade drove through the borough, from Pottsville to Bloomsburg University on a campaign trail.

In March 2008, The Borough of Ashland received a $99,640 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to assist renovation of the new Borough Hall at the Anthracite Museum. The money will go the lower level of the Anthracite Museum/Borough Hall for the borough's new police station.

Washington Fire Company No. 1

History

In 1858, L.P. Garner and Bros. lost their iron work by fire. On June 5, 1860 according to Borough Council Meeting minutes, L.P. Garner and fifty nine residents asked council for an allowance for the purpose of establishing a “Hook and Ladder Fire Co.” No action was taken until 1866 when a volunteer fire company was organized On September 12, of that year council purchase two pair of fire hooks, 2 ladders (one and one 40 feet) fifty fire buckets and of hose.

In 1867, the Washington Hook and Ladder and Engine and Hose Company was organized. A Carriage and hose was purchased from the Enterprise Carriage Shop in Ashland for $500

In 1869, a site for a fire house for the company was selected on Tenth St. between Chestnut and Market, the contact for the building was awarded to Samuel H. Fenstermacher for $495.

In 1870, the “Hookies” asked council to take over the debt on their equipment and in turn they would transfer their property to the Borough. The transfer was completed in 1871.

On July 7, 1875, the Washington Fire Company notified council of their intention to disband. On July 5, 1876, council offered an appropriation of $100 yearly to any fire company who would organize, the Hookies accepted this offer and returned to active service.

On September 12, 1881, the company received its charter with the following charter members:

William D. Reese   August Burmeister    August Grosser
Fred Yung          William Wallauer     August Koepke
Charles Yung       Michael Schneider    Christ Horning
Peter Horan        Louis Schneider      H. J. Constein
John Schwamlein    August Kappe, Jr.    J. Fred Buck
Jacob Cloes        Charles Kirchhafer   Peter K. Horning
Celestin Spahn     Anthony Feist        C. Hanburger
John Schmole       James Minogue        Henry Hornung
Martin Dwire       David Llewelyn       Charles Schwamlein
H. H. Scherris     F. Knapp


In 1883, the Washington Fire Co. purchased a lot on Centre St., west of 13th for $1,100. Council took over the lot and built and new firehouse. The contact for constructing the new building was awarded to Samuel Fenstermacher for $4,766. A dedication was held on January 1, 1885. W.A. Marr made the presentation and James F. Minogue accepted on behalf of the company.

On February 27, 1885, the old firehouse was sold to L.C. Bolich for $55 and was moved seventy-five feet west and was used as a livery stable.

In 1887, The Washington Fire Company initiated a yearly Fireman’s Parade on July 4, followed by a picnic at the Washington Park until 1897, when they were discontinued.

In 1890, the settling of the firehouse foundation had cause the brick to crack and the apparatus had to be removed. The nest year the tower and upper stories had to be removed. In 1892 it was decided to replace the remains of the firehouse with a frame structure. The contact was awarded to Robert Magdeburg for $2,750, the new building was dedicated the same year.

In 1912, the fire company changed to screw couplings to enable the connection to the hose of surrounding communities because the need for mutual aid was growing.

In 1919, the Ashland Borough Council purchased two identical Seagrave 500 GPM Seagrave pumper trucks. The first modern day pieces of apparatus for the Washington Fire Company and American Hose Company.

In 1929, a new modern day Seagrave city service truck with a 500 GPM Pump was purchased for $4,000. (Borough Council paid $3,000 and the company paid $1,000).

In 1929, the Ashland Borough adopted a strict ordinance. "That the Hook and Ladder truck shall not at any time or for any purposes go beyond the Borough limits."

In 1933, a new Seagrave engine with a 750 gpm pump was purchased to replace the 1919 Seagrave truck.

In 1942, The fire company is well served by an active ladies auxiliary that was organized and charted. The first elected officers were as follows:

President - Freida Donalth
Vice President - Violet Pulfrich
Recording Secretary - Evelyn Miller
Financial Secretary - Ana Houseman
Treasurer - Elizabeth Natschke


In 1955, A Maxim 750 GPM pumper was purchased to replace the 1933 Seagrave pumper truck. The 1933 Seagrave was acquired to the American Hose Company.

In 1957, the Ashland Fire Department had a Firemans Centennial Parade for the 100 Anniversary of the Ashland Borough existence. There were bands, floats, and neighboring fire companies that joined the event. Hundreds of people attended to see the parade.

In 1959, an American LaFrance 85' aerial truck was purchased to replace the 1929 ladder truck.

In 1965, Old Washington Park was demolished by the vote of the Washington Fire Company members.

In 1969, well known Ashland Police Chief/Fire Chief John Snyder and Washington Fire Company member died.

In 1972, Ashland Borough Council approved Washington Fire Company member Thomas P. Towers as borough fire chief.

In 1976, a 1000 GPM Hahn Pumper was purchased to replace the 1955 Maxim engine.

On July 24, 1976, the Washington Fire Company and Washington Fire Company Community Ambulance held a Triple Truck Housing. The 1976 Hahn 1000 GPM pumper, 1972 Ford Bronco Highway Rescue Truck, and a 1976 Dodge Ambulance was housed on the same day. Fire Chief Thomas Towers had a Centennial Float on the back of his orange Ford pick up truck. Lifelong company member Curly martin cracked the champaign off the Hahn Engine and compamy member Jim Reiner cracked the champaign off the Highway Rescue truck.

On November 29, 1976, Washington Fire Company member John Stepanchick was injured, he died in 1997 from complications involving injuries he suffered from being inside a building collapse. The fire was on 5th and Walnut Streets in the Borough. A monument of his memory is at the Schuylkill County Firemans Association Fire Training Grounds outside of Frackville.

In 1978, The firehouse was completely renovated inside with the help of federal grant money. The outside appears the same due to its registry as a historical site. Frank Rice served as President of the Washington Fire Company at this time.

On September 19, 1981, the Ashland Fire Department - Washington Fire Company and American Hose Company co-hosted the 27th Annual Schuylkill County Firemans Convention. The event was held at Washington Park.

In July 1982, The Ashland Fire Department went nationwide on the 19th and Centre Streets fire that claimed two lives of a mother and daughter. The article was published in the Fire Engineer Magazine with the heading, "Alternate Water Sources Needed At Fire During Severe Drought."

In the mid 1980's, the strict borough ordinance of 1929 stating the ladder truck must stay in the borough limits, was unexpectedly broken on a mutural aid fire call in nearby Girardville Borough. Since this fire call, the ordinace was lifted and the ladder truck responds to out-of-town fires when needed.

In 1992, Fire Chief Thomas P. Towers was "The Man of the Year," awarded by the Ashland Chamber of Commerce.

In 1993, the 1959 American LaFrance 85' aerial truck was completely refurbished by American LaFrance and retitled.

On June 26, 1994, the fire company had a truck housing for the refurbished 1959/1993 American LaFrance 85' aerial truck. Bill "The Burp" McHale cracked the champaign off the ladder truck. A clock plaque with the company patch in the center was awarded to Anthracite Fire and Steam Company Mt. Carmel, Goodwill Hose Company Frackville, Rescue Hook and Ladder Company Shenandoah, Goulds Pumps Inc. Ashland, and Ashland Borough Council. For assisting the Washington Fire Company and citizens of Ashland when the ladder truck was out of service due to being refurbed at American LaFrance. Everything after the fire truck parade was held at Washington Park.

In 1999, a military surplus 1986 Chevrolet pickup was acquired through the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and placed into service as a brush truck. The work was completed largely in part by company members.

In 2000, Ashland Borough Fire Chief Thomas Towers (Lifelong Washington Fire Company Member) retired as fire chief after 28 dedicated years. Chief Towers also served as director of the Schuylkill County Fire School and 1995 President of the Schuylkill County Volunteer Firemans Association.

In 2000, Ashland Borough Council approved Assistant Fire Chief and American Hose Company member Phillip Groody as borough fire chief.

December 2002 - www.Hookies.org is on-line

On July 23, 2003, the Washington Fire Company received the "2003 Assistance Firefighter Grant" of $109,694.00 from the U.S. Homeland Security (FEMA) to purchase equipment, fund firefighter health and safety programs, fund medical service programs, and conduct fire preventions and safety programs. Only 23 were issued in Pennsylvania and 450 in the United States.

On December 31, 2004, the Washington Fire Company received notification that "Fire Act 2004" grant was approve by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (FEMA). The $225,000.00 went towards purchase of a new fire engine. (Ashland Borough paid $80,000.00)

April 2005, A contract was signed with American Lafrance to build a custom pumper to replace the 1976 Hahn.

In 2006, an American LaFrance 2000 GPM Pumper entered the streets of Ashland. The 1976 Hahn 1000 GPM Pumper found a new home at the Schuylkill Historical Fire Society Museum in Shenandoah.

On May 19, 2007, the Washington Fire Company and Washington Fire Company Community Ambulance Association held a truck housing for the 2006 American LaFrance Pumper and a new 2005 Sterling/Marion Rescue Truck. Lifelong company member Bob Martin cracked the champaign off the new American LaFrance Engine and Ronnie Klock cracked the champaign off the new Rescue Truck. The event was held at the fire company. A plaque of appreciation was presented to Goulds Pumps/ITT Industries.

Washington Fire Company Community Ambulance Association

History

The Ambulance Association was formed in 1936 and obtained a Studebacker ambulance. The first Board of Governors consised of the following:

 Paul Reidler, President      Albert Donath
 James Neary, Secretary       Tony Klein
 Harry Natschke, Treasurer    Art Proctor
 Elwood Bracey                Dan Kripplebaur
 Harry Strunk                 George O'Neill
 Charles Staudenmeier         Harold Burmeister
 Dr. William O'Neill


The need for a local ambulance service for Ashland and the surrounding area was born out of the fact that previous to 1936, the only ambulance available to the area was based at Ashland State General Hospital and had a very large area to cover with the limited personnel on duty to man it. The first trip for the local ambulace was to transport Michael Corrigan of Byrnsville to Ashland State General Hospital.

Fourteen ambulances and four rescue trucks have been involved in the history of the ambulance association since 1936. The association serves approximately 10,000 citizens residing in Ashland Borough, Gordon Borough, and Butler Township areas, and works in cooperation with Girardville and Centralia Community Ambulances to cover each other's territory when an ambulance is out of service for any reason.

Today, the Washington Fire Company Community Ambulance Building is located next to the Washington Fire Company. The ambulance association houses two ambulances and a rescue truck. The ambulance association was originally housed inside the Washington Fire Company until 1996 when the ambulance board moved them into the new building.

One full-time EMT, many part-time EMTs, and volunteer members of the Washington Fire Company comprise ambulance crews and board members. In service training, upgrading, and purchasing of new applicable equipment is constant.

The first EMT's to serve Ashland was Steven Adams, James Fetterolf, Frank Rice and Edward Wallace.

Hoffman Boulevard

Hoffman Boulevard is located on PA Route 61 in the borough. Originally named Third Street. In 1937, Hoffman Boulvard was named and honored after Dr. J. Louis Hoffman. The Hoffman Memorial is at Hoffman Blvd. and Walnut Streets. Dr. Hoffman was extremely generous and a civic-minded citizen, as well as a highly recognized physician. Among his credits was service as council president for 24 years. He contributed to construction of the Ashland Reservoir, formation of the American Legion, and erection of the Mothers Memorial. He was a well-known entertainer with organizations. Dr. Hoffman died August 18, 1940, and his funeral procession to Fountain Springs Cemetery was quite impressive.

Parks and Fields

The great Depression began with the stock market crash in October 1929. To keep themselves busy, groups of idle neighborhood men - with assistance from borough workers and the W.P.A. - began clearing areas to create parks in the town. Three such parks are in this general part of town.

Willow Park

Willow Park was the first to be completed with swings, slides, pavilions, and at one time, home of the Ashland Little League Field. With recent efforts, the Willow park was brought back, and home of the Ashland Girls Softball League.

Higher-Ups Park

The Higher-Ups Park at 18th and Spruce Streets, is second. In 1932 a group known as the Higher-Ups Community Club, entered an agreement with the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company to lease this former dumping ground at the cost of $1.00 per year for the purpose of creating a park. It was opened to the public in 1933 - much the same as it appears now: a baseball field, restrooms, swings, picnic tables, basketball court and etc. The pavilion was originally an open bandstand that was later enclosed with windows. The Higher-Ups got their name from entries in the annual ABA Parade. They carried paper mache heads on tall poles, higher up than spectators. In 1963 the Pioneer Tunnel was founded adjacent from the Higher-Ups Park. Snyder Drive is the street that runs between them.

Eureka Park

The third park is the Eureka, meaning "I have found it." It is situated across town between North Fifteenth and Seventeenth Streets, behind Market Street. Work on the park had begun in 1933. In the beginning, park financing was done through festivals, penny bingo and concession stands. the park had a memorable huge sliding board, which was taken down due to the borough's liability insurance on safety concerns. The park today has restrooms, swings, see-saws, monkey bars, pavilions, and etc. the tennis court is below the Ashland Little League's left field next to Arch Street.

Eureka Park Basketball Courts - The lighted basketball courts was another hopping place for the Eureka Park. A little over a decade, starting in the mid 1980's, the basketball courts at the Eureka park brought some fine talent to the North Schuylkill Lady Spartan basketball team. Many career 1000 point scorers came from these dedicated girls, who either practiced on their own time, or played summer leagues sponsored by the Ashland Trusts. These girls were faithfully in the Eureka park until the lights were turned off for curfew, and their performance spoke for themselves. The Lady Spartans had a great run for years with Schuylkill League and District Crowns, and how could we not forget the 1992 State Championship Team. Ashland native Amy Chubb, who shoveled snow off the basketball courts in the winter to practice shooting hoops, was the first Lady Spartan to score a 1000 points. Also another well known Ashland native dedicated to the Eureka Park basketball courts was Amy Wetzel. The most popular Lady Spartan in school history, later played Division I basketball at Virginia Tech.

 1994 Eagle Scout Candidate Cristopher Rice, Scout Troop 180 and fellow scouts constructed signs designating Eureka Park, Higher Ups Park and Memorial Field as his service project to receive his Eagle Rank.


Toewe-Rebuck Field

The Toewe-Rebuck Field is adjacent to the Eureka Park, Vine Street runs between hem. Toewe-Rebuck field is home of the Ashland Little League Field. The scoreboard is in memory of James Coyne, and the highest achievement award earned for a little league player was named after Mark Trautmen (Award). Toewe Field was the original name, and honored after Elmer Toewe. Later, a dedicated and most popular Ashland Little League and District 24 President James Rebuck who spent many years with the little league, died in 1997. In his memory and honor, a monument at center field was established and his was name added to rename: Toewe-Rebuck Field. On the monument has the picture of Rebuck wearing a Notre Dame hat. Also on the monument has the names of people who dedicated themselves with more than 10 years service to the Ashland Little League organization. Names on the memorial listed below:

Elmer Toewe           Jack Fickinger
Sam Chillis, Sr.      William Urbanowicz
Wilbur Tiley          Raymond Fishburn, Sr.
James Coyne           Adam J. Bernodin, Jr.
Edward Hede           Carol Hughes
Mark Trautman         Sueann & Kevin Kowalick
Robert K. Felker      Jean Miller
John L. Snyder        Doug Gressens
Sis Mervine           Joe & Betsy Woodward
Bob Gressens          Matthew Stutzcavage


Washington Park

Washington Park is owned and maintained by the Washington Fire Company. It had its beginnings sometime in the late 1800s and was the site for many celebrations and outings over the years. The Ashland Boys Association held its Labor Day Reunions here form about 1906 until they were moved to Eureka park in 1955. The ABA was a unique organization where only men and boys got together for a day of reflection and camaraderie. The full story is in the ABA room at the Ashland Area Historic Preservation Society.

During the 1920s, some of the top bands in the country attracted large dance crowds here, rivaling Lakeside Park. In 1934, an amateur walkathon was heldhere. It was an endurance contest where 36 participants from the entire area walked or danced as teams. It continued for about a month and was broadcast WKOK radio. A couple from Locust gap won quite a substantial sum of money. During the depression people did all sorts of things to make money.

The icehouse is about all that's remaining of the original structures - the outdoor theatre, skatiing/dance pavilion and concession stands are gone since 1965 when the fire company voted to demolishion. Today, every weekend is booked well in advance for parties, picnics, fire company events and etc.

Memorial Field

There was a ball field on the north side of Centre Street, near 23rd Street, known as the West End Park or the 23rd Street Field. Memorial field is located at the intersection of Centre Street and Memorial Blvd. During the 1902 miners strike, Ashland was not a center of disturbances, but state militia, in case of trouble erected a tent city in this vicinity. The field was made into a stadium for the Ashland High School football and dedicated on October 24, 1932. Three thousand people attended the dedication. The 1933 football team was first tabbed with the school nickname "Black Diamonds." The first night game ever played under the lights at Memorial Field was against Gilberton High School in 1945. Memorial Field is Home of the 1935 State Championship Team coached by Al Julian and Home of the 1948 Eastern Conference Champs coached by Stan Hino.

In 1966, after the North Schuylkill School District was established. Memorial Field was Home of the North Schuylkill Spartans Football team. In 1978, a new field was built and all home games were played at the new high school complex. The bleachers and light poles from Memorial field were moved to the new Spartan Stadium.

After the North Schuylkill School District moved the football games out of Memorial Field. The Ashland Borough took ownership and responsibility of the field. the Ashland Midget Football Association has played on the field for years and takes part in beautification of the field. Softball games have been played there over the years, American Hose Company's 4th of July Fireworks, ABA Car Cruise/Shows and many other events.

Oakland Park

Oakland Park is a little park located along Oakland Avenue. This park was formed for the children in the Oakland Avenue section of the borough. The park has a basketball court, swings, sliding board, and a couple picnic tables.

Stormy Hill Park

The Stormy Hill park, or sometimes called the German Park, is located on 5th and Spruce Streets. There's swings and a merry-go-round. Stormy Hill Park is famous for sleigh riding in the winter.

9th Street Park

The 9th Street Park, was a park between Spruce and Pine Streets, on the 800 block. The park was formally the site of the 9th Street School, that burned down in 1970. The park consisted of a lighted basketball and tennis court, a merry-go-round, a motorcycle spring moving ride and a rabbit spring moving ride. Today the park doesn't exist, and the property was purchased off the Borough of Ashland from a nearby neighbor.

In 1967, of grounds in various parts of town was purchased under Project '70, equally using state and local funds. as a result, the parks are now owned by the borough, with the exception of Washington Park, and the closure and sale of the 9th Street Park.

Reservoir and Water Tank

Ashland Reservoir

On November 11, 1927, the water dam at the Ashland Reservoir was completed at the cost of $238,166.09. The reservoir is located west of Frackville. The reservoir is Ashland's fresh water supply to residents in the borough, and parts of Butler Twp. In the early 1990s, the filtration plant was completed, and that's located a mile below the reservoir. The filtration plant was named after former Mayor Norbert J. Noon.

Water Tank

Always seen traveling south on Memorial Boulevard (PA Route 61) is the water tank. The water tank is located between Walnut and Brock's Cemetery, adjacent to 22nd Street. The million gallon water tank was built in 1946. As the western end of town became more developed, water pressure to this area was not adequete, due to a higher elevation than the reservoir. In normal conditions, the holding tank filled up by gravity during low usage times (at night) and increases pressure during heavy usage (daytime). In drought conditions, the pumping station at 15th and Walnut Streets also increase the flow to the western part of the borough. That booster pump is no longer in used, since a pump was put at the reservoir.

Pumping Station

The pumping station was built in 1940 by President Roosevelt's W.P.A Program. It's located at 15th and Walnut Streets. The basement has pumps to push the water to the top of town.

1935 state champions

Ashland won the 1935 Pennsylvania State High School Football Championship with a 6 to 2 victory over Altoona, after going 10-0 in the regular season.

Notable Natives and Residents

  • John P. Brock - In 1845, purchased the land to develop Ashland in partnership with Burd S. Patterson and James A. Hart. Brock Street in the borough is in honor of John P. Brock.


  • Joseph Cesari, Sr.- Pennsylvania's #1 Wrestling Family and popular coach - Cesari is perhaps the most successful high school wrestling coach in Pennsylvania history. He originally began wrestling program with Ashland Area High School. Two years later Ashland Area High School consolidated into North Schuylkill jointure and Cesari started a program from scratch, and retired with a record of 351-31-2, with two state titles in 1983 and 1989, 31 District titles, 31 Regional titles, 10 state individual wrestler titles, 28 state medalists, 4-time Pennsylvania "Coach of the Year," 8-time District XI "Coach of the Year," and with his teams ranked among the top 20 in the country from 1980-89. He had North Schuylkill wrestling program "The State's Winningest Wrestling Team" and featured an article in Sports Illustrated "Gold Amid The Coal." The former Spartan head coach has been inducted into three hall of fame's, including the National Wrestling and the National High School halls. His three sons—all (Joesph Jr., Steve, Mark) coached by their father—combined for six Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association state titles.


  • Jack Stivetts - professional baseball player - Jack Stivetts was a fine all-around player, winning more than 200 games while also batting with power. He was one of the most popular players of the 1890s, helping the Boston Beaneaters to three pennants, as he formed a talented duo with teammate Kid Nichols. A durable hurler, he frequently pitched both ends of a doubleheader, and in 1892 he twirled a no-hitter against Brooklyn. He retired at the young age of 31 with arm problems, with 203 wins to his credit. St. Louis Browns, National League (1889-1891) Boston Braves (1892-1898) Cleveland Spiders (1899)


  • Chick Fullis ( Charles Philip (Chick) Fullis) - professional baseball player - New York Giants (1928-1932) Philadelphia Phillies (1933-1934) St. Louis Cardinals (1934-1936)


  • Doggie Julian (Alvin F. "Doggie" Julian) - Hall of Fame Basketball Coach - He coached basketball, football and baseball at Ashland High School (1933-35). Head Coach of the Ashland Black Diamonds 1935 State Championship football team. In 1947, he coached Holy Cross College to the NCAA title. In 1948, Julian became coach of the Boston Celtics. He moved next to Dartmouth, where the Big Green became an Ivy League power, winning titles in 1956, 1958 and 1959. In a 41-year coaching career that included stops at Albright, Muhlenberg, Holy Cross, Dartmouth and the Boston Celtics, Julian won 435 games. Overall, he coached in five NCAA tournaments and two NIT. Julian authored a popular basketball text, Bread and Butter Basketball (Prentice-Hall, 1960). The Alvin "Doggie" Julian Award is given for distinguished service to college basketball in New England. Julian was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as a coach in 1968. He is a member of the Bucknell University Athletics Hall of Fame.


  • Thomas and William Pepper - popular whiskey and soda manufacturers - Thomas had the popular Whiskey business until prohibition. The Whiskey was called, "Old Rapp." William founded the William & Pepper Company with the very popular Pale Dry Ginger Ale sold everywhere.


  • Merrill Raudenbush - popular bakery business - Raudenbush's were noted for their "Richer-in-Raisen Bread," sold not only in their retail outlets but also as a mail order item. Raudenbush's had retail stores were throughout Schuylkill County.


  • Honorable Charles W. Staudenmeier - served in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1923-1933) Pennsylvania Senator (1933-1936)


  • Carson G. Long - professional football player (kicker) - Long attended the University of Pittsburgh and once held the school record of 60 consecutive PATs, his performance contributed to the Panthers undefeated 1976 national championship team. Long made his professional debut in the NFL in 1977 with the Buffalo Bills.


  • Amy Wetzel - popular basketball player - North Schuylkill: She scored over 1,000 career points ... Rated as one of the top 75 guards in the country by The Blue Chip Report ... USA Today Pennsylvania All- American ... Selected a Street and Smith's honorable mention All- American as a senior ... Voted 1996 Anthracite Player of the Year ... Also honored as the Eastern Pennsylvania Player of the Year ... Pottsville Republican Player of the Year in 1996 ... Selected as the North Schuylkill Basketball Player of the Year after her senior season ... Earned most valuable player honors at the Philadelphia Future Stars tournament ... Second-team all-state selection in 1996 ... Participated in the 1996 Roundball Classic in Pittsburgh, Pa. ... Won the United States Marine Corps Outstanding Female Athlete Award as well as the North Schuylkill High School 1996 Most Athletic Female honor. Virginia Tech: She's a member of the Virginia Tech 1,000-point club...Finished her career with 1,444 points, ranking sixth on the school's all-time scoring list...Tech's career leader in games played (129) and minutes played (4,129)...Leads the school with 489 career made free throws, ranks second with 235 steals, and third all-time with 399 career assists...Named to the GTE District III Academic All-American team in 1999 and 2000...Recognized as the A-10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2000, and was named to the All-Atlantic 10 second team in 1999 and 2000...Led VT to its highest-ever win total in 1999, when the team posted a 28-3 record.
  • Emil Seidel, Mayor of Milwaukee, Wisconsinmarker


Geography

Ashland is located at (40.781587, -76.344426).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.5 km²), all land

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 3,283 people, 1,437 households, and 863 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,886 people per square mile (728.5/km²). There were 1,724 housing units at an average density of 990.4/sq mi (382.6/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 99.39% White, 0.21% African American, 0.09% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.09% of the population.

There were 1,437 households out of which 24.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.9% were non-families. 36.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 3.00.

In the borough the population was spread out with 21.1% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 23.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 93.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.0 males.

The median income for a household in the borough was $27,234, and the median income for a family was $34,688. Males had a median income of $30,500 versus $20,920 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $15,036. About 11.1% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.1% of those under age 18 and 13.4% of those age 65 or over.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message