The Full Wiki

Atcham: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Atcham is a village, ecclesiastical parish and civil parish in Shropshiremarker, Englandmarker. It is situated on the B4380 (the old A5), 5 miles south east of Shrewsburymarker. The River Severn flows around the village. To the south is the village of Cross Housesmarker, and to the northwest the hamlet of Emstreymarker.

Local governance

It was once part of, and gave its name to, Atcham Rural District, before that district merged with the Borough of Shrewsbury in 1974, and the village came under the control of Shrewsbury and Atchammarker Borough Council. From 2009, Shrewsbury & Atcham was merged with the other districts of non-metropolitan Shropshire to form Shropshire Council. The Parliamentarymarker constituency which covers the borough remains as Shrewsbury and Atchammarker.

History

The only church in England to be dedicated to Saint Eata can be found in the village. Just why St Eata should have this one church bearing his name so far away from the area of his ministry is something of a mystery. There is no written record suggesting that he ever came so far south. There is, however, a crop photograph from the 1970s of a field in Attingham Park showing the ground-plan of a Saxon palace identical to one excavated near Hexham. Did a noble's daughter from Hexham move to Atcham to be married, bringing with her architect's plans and the memory of a favourite saint? 'Atcham' is a contraction of 'Attingham' which means 'the home of Eata's children.' The church dates back to the 11th century.

Ordericus Vitalis, the historian, was born in the village in 1075.

The local airfield RAF Atchammarker (now returned to agriculture and light industry) was home to an Americanmarker training unit for much of World War II. They used P-47 Thunderbolts and, later, P-38 Lightnings for operational training for new fighter pilots posted in from the USA. Almost 50 pilots were lost in accidents flying from here.

The A5 Londonmarker-Holyheadmarker road once ran through the village, but now runs to the north on a new dual-carriageway.

Features

Famous landmarks of Atcham include Attingham Parkmarker, the seat of the Barons Berwick until that title became extinct in 1953. The hall at Attingham Park is now the regional headquarters of the National Trust and also on the estate is the Shropshire office of Natural England.

There are two bridges at Atcham, the older one, built in 1774, is commonly known as Atcham Bridge, while the new one, which was opened in 1929, carries the Old A5 (B4380) road over the River Severn.

Nearby is the village of Wroxetermarker, formerly a Roman city, and the site of one of Shropshire's commercial vineyards.

There is a public house in the village called the Mytton and Mermaid but the school, Post Office and petrol station have all closed. The former garage remains as a small car sales and vehicle repair business.

Nearby is Atcham Business Park/Industrial Estate, on the site of the old airfield of RAF Atchammarker. Despite its name, it is in fact in the neighbouring civil parish of Wroxeter and Uppingtonmarker , although, since the Diocese of Lichfield made some parish boundary changes, it is now in the ecclesiastical parish of Atcham.

External links



References


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message