Atpadi ( ) is an
administrative town and Taluka in of Sangli district in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
In 16th century Atapdi was part of Adilshahi kingdom of Bijapur.
Later it was a part of princely state of Aundh
as well as a palace city, hence it was called as Atpadi Mahal.
After Indian independence and merging of Aundh into republic of
India, Atpadi was in Khanapur Taluka in Satara district till new
district, Sangali was formed. After formation of new district,
Atpadi was separated from Khanapur Taluka and made a Taluka place
itself. Prominent Marathi writers like G.D. Madgulkar, B.D.
Madgulkar, Shankarrao Kharat are from this place.
Atpadi is a Taluka (Sub division of District) in Sangali District,
Located at Latitude: 17° 25' 0 N, Longitude: 74° 57' 0 E.
Population: Approximately 25000.
Atapdi is old styled town where town is divided into Galli's of
different caste people, making it perfect Indian self-Dependent
- Galli in Atpadi Town
- Wani Galli
- Brahman Galli
- Navhi Galli
- Kosthi Galli
- Kasar Galli
- Deshmukh Galli
- Kumbhar Galli
- Parit Galli
- Other newly formed residence colonies
- Choundeshwari colony
- Vidya Nagar
- Sathe Nagar
- Phule Nagar
- Vithal Sampat Nagar
- Dr.Ambedkar Nagar
- Jowar, Locally called as Jwari, jawar
- Maize, Locally called as Makaa (मका
- Pomegranate, Locally called as
Daalimb(डाळिंब). Arakt(आरक्त), Bhagawaa(भगवा), Ganesh(गणेश) are the
verities grown in Atpadi.
- Cotton, Locally called as Kaapus
- Bajari, Locally called as Bajari
- Wheat, Locally called as Gahu
- Khillari bull (Atpadi
Mahal)- The breed is well adapted to the tropical and
drought prone conditions present in this part of the world and are
favoured by the local farming community due to their ability to
handle the hardships of farming pretty well. In spite of this
lately the breed is showing a steady decline in numbers mostly due
the low milk yield which forms an alternate stream of income for
the farming community. The Khillari is between 4½ to 5½ feet tall
and weighs between 800 and 1000 lbs.
Summer, Mansoon rain and Winter. Region falls under rain-shadow
area resulting less rain.
- Lakes: Atapdi has a lake dedicated for
- Rivers and Water Canals: Shukra Odha and
Manganga River flows near to Atpadi. Various water canals are
projected through Atpadi Taluka under Khrishna Khore Vikas
- Bel River of Shetphale.
Atpadi has a forest office, near Swatantrapur. Dubai Kuran (डबई
कुरण) is reserved forest area.
Surrounding area and villages
- Bhingewadi:Bhingewadi is small Grampanchat
Village 3 kilometers from Atpadi Town situated at north-west.
Bhingewadi consists of farms of people whose surname is Bhinge, so
the name Bhingewadi.Bhingewadi is a small village of 2000 people
and farms in and around houses. Wheat, Jowar, Bajara, and
pomegranate is main produce from the farm lands. Its adjacent to
- Deshmukhwaadi: Situated at south-east of
- Ya.Pa. Wadi: Located on Atpadi-Sangola
- Mapate Mala: Located on Atpad-Nimbawade road,
- Sonarsiddhnagar: Located on Atpadi-Kauthuli
- Swatantrapur: It is located in between Atpadi
lake and Bhingewadi, it is a free custodian colony built in 1939.
The Hindi cinema, 'Do ankhe baraah haath' is based on
Other villages in Atpadi Taluka
- Shetphale: 12 km from Atpadi town, birth place of G.D.
Madgulkar, renowned Marathi poet.
- Dighanchi: 12 km from Atpadi town
- Kharsundi: Place of Lord Siddhanath.
- Shukachari: Hill, believed to be of epic sage Shukamuni.
- Rajewadi: Rajewadi Talaw built in Victorian time.
- Pimpri Budruk:
- List of grampanchat villages in Atpadi
Atpadi town has a gram panchayat
administration for town, while Panchayat Samiti
is to administer the
entire taluka.Atpadi is part of Atpadi-Khanapur
constituency of Vidhan Sabha, Maharashtra
State Sangli Constituency for Loksabha.
Recently old building of Atpadi Grampanchayat is under construction
to renovate it, though original design of Grampanchayat building is
Atpadi has schools and college to fulfill the education
requirements. Higher Education is possible till bachelors degree in
science, arts and commerce.
- Colleges:1. Atpadi College,
Atpadi ( Arts, science and Commerce), 2. Kala Vidyan Mahavidyalay affiliated
- Schools : 1.Shree Bhavani
Highschool, Atpadi, 2. S.V.D.D. Girl's Highschool, Atpadi, 3.
Rajaram Bapu Highschool, Atpadi. Affiliated to SSC/HSC board
- Professional courses:
- Industrial Training Institute, Atpadi (ITI college); Various
D.Ed. Colleges and Agriculture Diploma College, Bhingewadi.
- Sriram society's Engg. Diploma college
- Engineering college (Degree)
- Sugar Factory:Manganga Sugar Factory
- Cotton Mill: Babasaheb Deshmukh Shetkari Sahakari
- Domestic industry of woolen blanckets (Gongade/Kambal घोंगडे
- Khadi Gramodyog
- Food packaging (Pomegranate)
- Zep Soap Company (Zep Trade Tech)
Banks and Finance Institutes
- Saraswat Co Op Bank
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharahstra
- Sangli District Co. Bank
- Dr. Babasaheb Deshmukh Co. Bank
- Vita Merchants Co. Bank
- Virshaiv patpedhi
- Youth Development Co. Bank
- Manmandir Co. Bank
- Bhskararao Deshpande Co OP Society
- Coming soon-State Bank Of India (SBI)
- Government Primary Hospital, Nimbavade Road.
- Sawant Hospital
- Shinde Hospital, Chaundeshwary Colony
- Padalkar Hospital, Nimbavade Road.
Art and culture
Atpadi had given four presidents of Marathi Sahitya Sammelan
Marathi author & adhunik walmiki
, popularly known as
G M Madgulkar
from nearby village madgule. His younger brother Venkatesh Madgulkar
, Shankar Rao Kharat
are other three authors from
MaanDarshan - Editor/Publisher - Sunil H. Gidde
Folk dance, songs and Sports
- Kusti: Indian form soil wrestling.
- Dhangari Dance, Gaji
Temples and Festivals
Temples in Atpadi town
Kalleshwar Mandir- South Door
- Nath Baba (Bhingewadi Road)
- Jotiba (Bhingewadi Road)
- Sai Mandir (Bhingewadi Road)
- Vitthal Mandir (Near ST Stand)
- Kalleshwar (Center)
- Vitthal Mandir (Near Post Office)
- Ram mandir (Brahman Galli)
- Datta mandir (Brahman Galli)
- Ramnath Buwa mandir (Peth)
- Uttareshwar (bajar Patangan)
- Kala Maruti (bajar Patangan)
- Khandoba (bajar Patangan)
- Yellama (bajar Patangan)
- Math (Wani Galli)
- Laandaa Maruti (Prakashwadi)
- Tambada Maruti (Deshmukh Galli)
- Maruti (Sathenagar (Annabhau Sathe Chawk)/Prakashwadi)
- Vetal (Prakashwadi)
- Parmeshwar Mandir (Shukra Odha)
- Sonarsiddha Mandir (Sonarsiddhwadi)
- Narsoba Mandir located at various places in town. (Five in
- Ganesh Mandir (Ambabai Odha)
- Ambabai mandir (Ambabai Odha)
- Tulajapurche Thanake (Karkhana Road)
Famous Temples in Atpadi taluka
Priests offering prayers to
- Siddhanath Mandir - Kharsundi
- Ram Mandir - Karagani
- Shukachari Cave - Shukachari
- JakaiDevi Mandir - Nelkaranji
- Jotiba Mandir - Madgule
- Khandoba Mandir - Madgule
- Marimata Mandir - Avalai
- Siddhanath Mandir - Shetphale
- Bhaktabai Mandir - Shetphale
- Jogeshwari Mandir - Shetphale.
- Choundeshwari Mandir - Atpadi
- Masoba Mandir - Banpuri
- BhavaniTemple - Dighanchi
- Hanuman Mandir,sidhatnath temple for snake bite -pimpri
- Jotirling Mandir - Tadawale
- Akhand Harinam Saptha(Jotiba Mandir,Madgule)in Month of
- Paravarcha Melava (G. D. Madgulkar Janma divas )
- Ashtami Yatra Shetphale.
- Town Festival/Fair: Uttareshwar jatra - Atpadi
- Khandoba Jatra - Madgule
- Marimi Aai Yatra - Tadawale
- Marimata Jatra - Avalai
- Paush yatra - Kharsundi. This festival is famous for its
khillari cattle trade in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra.
- Chaitra yatra - Kharsundi (Saasan/Shaasan Kaathi)
- Jakai yatra-Nelkaranji
- Masoba Jatra-Banpuri
- Hanuman Jatra- pimpri budruk
Travel and Stay and Entertainment
Atpadi is well connected by road and falls on state highway between
Solapur and Karad. It has well connectivity to Solapur, Sangli,
Kolhapur, Karad, Pune and Mumbai and adjacent towns through state
transport buses as well as private buses. Atpadi has MSRTC
bus stand and depot. Atpadi has couple of lodges
and number of hotels and road side dhabas. Siddhanath Chitrmandir
is only cinema theater.
What to see
- Datta Mandir/Aai saheb mandir( wife of shri gondavalekar
- Atpadi Lake ( Atpadi Pazar Talav / Atpadi Tale)
- Rajewadi talaw
- Sonarshiddh Temple
- Siddhnath temple, Kharsundi
- Ram Mandir, Karagani
- Shukachari Hills: Place of ancient sage Shukmuni, son of
- Manganga Sakhar Karkhana
- Ga.Di.Ma Smarak, Shetphale
- Jakai Mandir, Nelkaranji
- Jotiba Mandir - Madgule
- Ga.Di.Ma Smarak, Shetphale
- siddhanath mandir y.p.wadi
- Banpuri Lake ( Banpuri Pazar Talav / Banpuri Tale)
- Gruha Nirman Sanstha:Siddharth Magaswargiya Gruha Nirman
Sanshta is project of Maharashtra Government.Social Welfare
departments one of best project for the people.
- Bachatdham: Public Hall