The Full Wiki

Attercliffe: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

See also Sheffield Attercliffe marker.

Attercliffe ( ) is an industrial suburb of northeast Sheffieldmarker, Englandmarker on the south bank of the River Don.


Christ Church from across the River Don in 1826.
The "cliff" can be seen in front of the church.
The name Attercliffe can be traced back as far as an entry in the Domesday book -Ateclive- meaning at the cliffe, a small escarpment that lay alongside the River Don. This cliff can be seen in images from the nineteenth century, but is no longer visible.

Westforth or Washford bridge, at the Sheffield end of the village was first recorded in a will of 1535. It was rebuilt in wood in 1608 and 1647, then in stone in 1672, 1789 and 1794.

Historically a part of the parish of Sheffield, Attercliffe Chapelmarker was built in 1629 as the first place of worship in the settlement. The Town School was built in 1779, and Christ Church was built in 1826 but destroyed during World War II.

In 1686, Richard Frankland set up a dissenting academy at Attercliffe Hall. Three years later, it was taken over by the nonconformist minister Timothy Jollie, who educated students including John Bowes, Nicholas Saunderson and Thomas Secker.

In the early nineteenth century, Attercliffe remained a rural community known for its orchards, windmill, and large houses including the Old Hall, New Hall and Carlton House. New Hall was later converted into pleasure gardens, with a cricket ground, racecourse, bowling green, maze, lake and depictions of famous cities. It was known for its concerts and firework displays.

Small-scale manufacture of pen knife and pocket knife developed in the early nineteenth century, The suburb became more accessible with the construction of first a turnpike from Sheffield to the terminus of the River Don Navigation at Tinsley, then the opening of the Sheffield Canalmarker, running to the south of the village. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, there was a frequent proposal to widen this to form a Sheffield Ship Canal, to terminate in a basin at Attercliffe.

Attercliffe railway stationmarker opened in August 1871 and closed on 26 September 1927.

Attercliffe has long been an industrial area, but by the early 20th century, there was also a large residential population and high-class shops, John Banners Department Store (Banners) in particular. The area declined post World War II as victorian housing was cleared which was not replaced, causing the local schools to close, followed by most of the local shops. While some of the local industries closed or moved to larger sites further out of Sheffield.

Adelphi Cinema

The Adelphi was a cinema on Vicarage Lane in Attercliffe, Sheffieldmarker. It was built in 1920 by architect William C. Fenton. The cinema closed in 1967, and the building was then used as a bingo hall under the name "Adelphi Bingo Club". It is now a nightclub.


The area became a centre for Sheffield’s LGBT population, and is known locally for its sex industry, garnering a reputation as Sheffield's equivalent to Sohomarker .

Its location on the Sheffield Supertram, the completion of the Five Weirs Walkmarker and construction of the Don Valley Stadiummarker and Sheffield Arenamarker in the 1990s brought some life back to the area. As part of this regeneration, new house building started in 2002.


Attercliffe falls within the Darnallmarker Ward. Sheffield Attercliffemarker has been the name of one of Sheffield's Parliamentary constituencies since 1885, but it is due to be renamed Sheffield South East for the next general election.


  1. J. Edward Vickers, The Ancient Suburbs of Sheffield, pp.7–10 (1971)
  2. G. R. Vine, The Story of Old Attercliffe (pt. 2)
  3. " Jollie, Timothy", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
  4. G. R. Vine, The Story of Old Attercliffe (pt. 3)

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address