The Full Wiki

More info on Auderghem

Auderghem: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Auderghem (former Dutch spelling, now used in French; pronounced )or Oudergem ( ) is one of the nineteen municipalities located in the Brussels-Capital Regionmarker of Belgiummarker.
The Chapel of Saint Anne


Located to the southeast of the capital, along the Woluwe valley and at the entrance to the Sonian Forestmarker (Forêt de Soignes, Zoniënwoud), the municipality has an environmental advantage. Despite large roads slicing through and the increasing traffic, it has been able to preserve a relatively important part of its natural and historic legacy: the creeks, the Abbey of Rouge-Cloître or Rood Klooster (Red Cloister) and its art center, the Priory of Val Duchesse or Hertoginnedal (Duchess Dale), the Château of Trois Fontaines or Drie Fonteinen (Three Fountains), and the remarkable Chapel of Saint Anne.
The Abbey of Rouge-Cloître


Auderghem is adjacent to the municipalities of Etterbeekmarker, Ixelles - Elsenemarker, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre - Sint-Pieters-Woluwemarker, and Watermael-Boitsfort - Watermaal-Bosvoordemarker.

The municipality is governed by its 16th mayor, Didier Gosuin.

History

The Priory of Val Duchesse
Three forest villages (Auderghem, Watermaelmarker, and Boitsfort-Bosvoordemarker), were one for centuries. In 1794, the soldiers of the French Revolution decided to separate these into three distinct municipalities. In 1811, Napoleon decided to reunite the three villages, by imperial decree, into a single administrative entity. But Auderghem was withdrawn from this union by royal act, leaving Watermael-Boitsfort or Watermaal-Bosvoordemarker on its own. Thus, Auderghem became an independent municipality in 1863, with only 1,600 inhabitants.

With the construction of the rail line linking Brusselsmarker and Tervurenmarker as well as, in 1910, the construction of the Boulevard du Souverain or Vorstlaan, modernization came to the municipality and the population grew quickly.

In 1956, Paul Henri Spaak lead the Intergovernmental Conference on the Common Market and Euratom at the Val Duchessemarker castle in Auderghem, which prepared the Treaties of Rome in 1957 and the foundation of the European Economic Community and Euratom in 1958.

Sights

The Castle of the Valley of the Duchess (Val Duchesse).


The Priory of Val Duchesse or Hertoginnedalmarker, a gift of the king, is unfortunately rarely open to the public. In 1963, Belgium's cabinet ministers met here, planting the seeds of a federalization of the country though at conditions fiercely criticised especially in some extremist Flemish nationalist circles.

Similarly, the Chapel of Saint Anne, whose origins go back to the 12th century, is not open to the public. Decommissioned in 1843, it was sold several times. Its splendid sculptures from the Middle Ages and notable period furniture are still there to admire.

The municipality offers many green spaces.

See also



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message