The Full Wiki

Aurangabad, Maharashtra: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Aurangabad ( ( , meaning "Built by the Throne", named after Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb), is a city in Aurangabad district, Maharashtramarker, India. The city is a tourist hub, surrounded with many historical monuments, including the Ajanta Cavesmarker and Ellora Cavesmarker, which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites, as well as Bibi Ka Maqbaramarker. The administrative headquarters of the Aurangabad Division or Marathwada region, Aurangabad is said to be a 'City of Gates', as one can not miss the strong presence of these as one drives through the city. Aurangabad is also one of the fastest growing cities in the world.

History

The city was founded in 1610 A.D. by Malik Ambar, the Prime Minister of Murtaza Nizam Shah of Ahmadnagar, on the site of a village called Kharki. He made it his capital and the men of his army raised their dwellings around it. Within a decade, Kharki grew into a populous and imposing city. Malik Ambar cherished strong love and ability for architecture. Aurangabad was Ambar's architectural achievement and creation. However, in 1621, it was ravaged and burnt down by the imperial troops under Jahangir. Ambar the founder of the city was always referred to by harsh names by Emperor Jahangir. In his memoirs, he never mentions his name without prefixing epithets like wretch, cursed fellow, Habshi, Ambar Siyari, black Ambar, and Ambar Badakhtur. Malik Ambar died in 1626. He was succeeded by his son Fateh Khan, who changed the name of Kharki to Fatehnagar. In the same year, the Moghal viceroy Khan Jahan Lodi, advanced on the city, but retired to Burhanpurmarker on being bribed by the Nizam Shahi Commander, Hamid Khan. With the capture of Daulatabad by the imperial troops in 1633, the Nizam Shahi dominions, including Fatehnagar, came under the possession of the Moghals. In 1653 when Prince Aurangzeb was appointed the viceroy of the Deccanmarker for the second time, he made Fatehnagar his capital and called it Aurangabad. Aurangabad is sometimes referred to as Khujista Bunyad by the Chroniclers of Aurangzeb's reign.

In March 1666, accompanied by a body of 1,000 select troops, Shivaji arrived at Aurangabad on his way to Agramarker. Safshikan Khan, the governor of Aurangabad, treated him with scant respect. For this act, he was severely reprimanded by Jai Singh and made to pay a courtesy call on Shivaji. In 1668, the city nearly became a scene of a conflict between the imperial troops under Diler Khan, and those commanded by Prince Muazzam, the viceroy. In 1681, after plundering Burhanpur, the Marathas assembled in the neighbourhood of the Satara hills in order to attack Aurangabad. The plan was, however, abandoned on hearing of the arrival of the viceroy, Khan Jahan Bahadur. In the same year, Khan Jahan Bahadur erected a wall around Aurangabad to protect it against surprise attacks of the Marathas. It was done at the order of the Emperor, and cost rupees three lakhs. Two years later, the Emperor himself arrived at Aurangabad.

is a monument built in 1660 by Aurangzeb's son, Azam Shah, as a loving tribute to his mother, Dilras Bano Begam.In 1692, he ordered a magnificent palace to be erected near the great reservoir to the north of the city - the ruins of which are now to be seen in the Killa Ark. A fortified wall was thrown round the suburb of Begampura in 1696 A. D. Shortly after the death of Aurangzeb, the city of Aurangabad slipped from the hands of the Moghals. In 1720, Nizamul-Mulk Asif Jah, a distinguished General of Aurangzeb with the intention of founding his own dynasty in the Deccan, arrived at Aurangabad. He paid a visit to Delhi in 1723, but turned in 1724 2 , defying the orders of Emperor Muhammad Shah. Soon after he transferred his capital from Aurangabad to Hyderabad.

The Emperor ordered Mubariz Khan, the Subhedar of the Deccan to oppose the Nizam. A battle was fought near Sakharkherda, subsequently called Fatehkherda, in which Murbariz Khan was defeated and killed. Raghoji, a young scion of the house of the Jadhavs of Sindkhed who fought on the side of the Moghals was also killed. Incensed at the support lent by the Jadhavs to Mubariz Khan, the Nizam despatched a posse of troops to Deulgaon to capture the Jadhav family. But being informed of the design the family escaped to Satara and sought asylum with Chhatrapati Shahu. At the intervention of Shahu the Jagir was restored back to the Jadhavs.

In 1853, Aurangabad was the scene of a conflict between the contingent troops and a body of Arab mercenaries belonging to Mansing Rav, the Raja of Devalgaon. The Arabs placed the Raja under restraint, and threatened his life because their pay was in arrears. Brigadier Mayne, commanding the station, being apprised of the situation, marched out in the first week of October, with the 5th regiment cavalry, 6th regiment infantry, and a battery of artillery to Jasvantpura, just outside the Roshangate, where the Arabs had posted themselves. After a stiff resistance, the Arabs were defeated and dispersed and the Raja was released. In the action that was fought the Contingent lost 15 killed and 40 were wounded. Among those killed was Lieut. Boswell, and among those wounded Lieut. Vaughanmarker, and Captain Parker. Both of them succumbed to their wounds later.

1857 War of Independence

The year 1857 was eventful in the history of Aurangabad with the rest of the country. The British moved the first cavalry from Mominabad (Ambejogaimarker) to Aurangabad, in order to relieve 3rd cavalry which had marched to Malegaonmarker, and was the first regiment to show signs of disaffection. The 2nd Infantry also came under suspicion. It was also feared that the people of the city might join hands with the troops. In order to prevent this, all the precautionary measures were taken and two companies of infantry were ordered to guard the bridge which spans the river Kham and separates the cantonment area from the spot where the cavalry was encamped. This precautionary measure on the part of the British alarmed the cavalry, and the men turning out without orders threw pickets in the direction of the cantonment. The authorities at Hyderabad were kept informed of the course of events by express. Upon this, a column of troops was ordered to march from Pune to Aurangabad. In the meanwhile, the artillery was also showing signs of rebellion, but the rumour of Bombaymarker troops marching towards Aurangabad had a quieting effect. The men of the cavalry also returned to their posts.

The Punemarker force was under the command of General Woodburn, and consisted of three troops of, the 14th Hussars under Captain Gall, Captain Woodcombe's battery of European artillery, and the 24th Bombay infantry under Colonel Folliot. Upon his arrival, General Woodburn marched straight to the encampment of the 3rd Cavalry, and the disaffected regiment was ordered out to a dismounted parade. The rissaldar of the first troop was directed to call out the names of the revolutionaries, and commenced by giving the name of the senior jamadar, who ordered his men to load their carbines. By this time the General with his staff and the English officers were mixed up with the disaffected troops, and hence the guns could not be used to put down the latter. In the confusion that followed, some of the troopers broke away, ran to their horses and fled away. The guns were fired upon them and the Hussars were sent in pursuit; but several of them managed to escape. A dafadar of the cavalry, Mir Fida Ali by name, fired a shot at his commanding officer, Captain Abbott. For this act of his, he was tried by a drum-head, court-martial led and hanged. The court-martial continued its sittings, and 24 of these brave men were condemned, of whom 21 were, shot and 3 mercilessly blown away from guns. About two-thirds of the regiment which had remained quiet was marched to Edalabad and recruited to its full strength by men from the other three regiments of the cavalry. Subsequently the third cavalry served throughout the campaign under Sir Hugh Rose.

Geography

The location co-ordinates for Aurangabad are N 19° 53' 47" - E 75° 23' 54". The city is surrounded by hills on all sides.

Temperature: Annual temperatures in Aurangabad range from 9 to 40°C, with the most comfortable time to visit in the winter - October to February. The highest maximum temperature ever recorded was 46°C (114°F) on 25 May 1905. The lowest recorded temperature was 2°C (36°F) on 2 February 1911. In the cold season, the district is sometimes affected by cold waves in association with the eastward passage of western disturbances across north India, when the minimum temperature may drop down to about 2°C to 4°C (35.6°F to 39.2°F).

Rainfall: Most of the rainfall occurs in the monsoon season from June to September. Rainfall varies from 9.0 to 693 mm/month. Average annual rainfall is 725 mm.

Population trends

Economy

There is evidence to believe that Aurangabad was developed as a trading hub four centuries ago. It lies on a major trade route that used to connect north-west India's sea and land ports to the Deccan region.

Industry

Himroo Shawl
The city was a major silk and cotton textile production centre. A fine blend of silk with locally grown cotton was developed as Himroo textile. Much of the silk industry has vanished over time, but some manufacturers - such as the Aurangabad Silk Mills, Standard Silk Mills - have managed to keep the tradition alive. Paithani silk saris are also made in Aurangabad. The name of this cloth is derived from Paithanmarker town.

In 1889 a cotton-spinning and weaving mill was erected in Aurangabad city, which employed 700 people. With the opening of the Hyderabad-Godavari Valley Railways in the year 1900 several ginning factories were started. In the Jalna alone there were 9 cotton-ginning factories and 5 cotton-presses, besides two ginning factories at Aurangabad and Kannad, and one oil- press at Aurangabad. The total number of people employed in the cotton-presses and ginning factories in the year 1901 was 1,016.

Until 1960, Aurangabad languished as a city, remaining an industrially backward. In 1960, the region of Marathwada was merged with Maharashtramarker. This was the time when the industrial development of the Marathwada region began, propelled through designated backward area benefits. And it was only when the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) began acquiring land and setting up industrial estates that it began to grow. Aurangabad is now classic example of efforts of state government towards balanced industrialisation of state.

Many renowned Indian and MNCs have established themselves in the Industrial Estates of Aurangabad:









Some of the other well known names are:Garware, Ajanta Pharma, AMRI, Glenmark, Lupin, Wipro, Orchid pharma, Endurance systems, Rucha Eng,Indo German Tool Room, Ceekay Daikin Ltd, Cosmos Films, NRB bearings, Hindalco-Almex Aerospace, Can-pack India, Varroc, Dagerfrost, FrigoriFico Allana, Nath Seeds.

The Aurangabad - Jalna belt is also considered as the seed capital of India with presence of some of the largest seed companies in the country. Mahyco (R&D + Production), Nath Seeds (R&D + Production) and Monsanto (R&D currently) are some of the big names in the industry.

Many players have their manufacturing bases in Aurangabad, in the sectors of automotive and auto components, pharmaceuticals and breweries, consumer durables, plastic processing, aluminium processing, agriculture and biotech. Among Pharmaceutical there is Recombinant Insulin Manufacturing plant of Wockhardt (Wockhardt Biotech Park) in Aurangabad, which is Largest Biopharmaceutical plant in Indiamarker. Aurangabad also has 5 star hotels like ITC Welcomgroup's The Rama International, The Ajanta Ambassador, The Taj Residency, The Lemontree (formerly The President Park) and the Aurangabad Gymkhana .

The Shendra, Chikalthana and Waluj MIDC Industrial Areas are prominent industrial zones on the outskirts of the city, with various major multinational groups having set up manufacturing or processing plants in and around the city. There are five Special Economic Zones (SEZs) which have been approved by central governemnt for this city and these are, in automotive (Bajaj), in pharmaceuticals (Inspira Pharma SEZ and Wockhardt), one in aluminium (Hindalco Aluminium) and yet another is Inspira Biotech SEZ. Recently Aurangabad became the third city in Maharashtra (after Pune & Nashik ) to host an auto cluster namely Marathwada Auto Cluster(MAC).. An electrical goods major Siemens will soon establish plant for manufacturing of metro train coaches.

Financial services

Modern banking in the district may be said to have begun when the Central Bank of India was established in Hyderabad State on 19 February 1932, at Jalna, and in next year i.e., on 20 December 1933, at Aurangabad.

Later on in 1945 the Bank of Hyderabad was established under the Hyderabad State Bank Act of 1350 Fasli. The State Bank of Hyderabad mainly transacted Government business such as accepting and holding of money belonging to the Government and making payments on its behalf and other routine business such as exchange, remittance, etc. The bank also worked as an agent of the Government in its function of issuing paper.

In the first decade of the twenty-first century, Aurangabad has seen a spurt in financial activities, with almost all public sector and private banks have opened up branches including the State Bank of Indiamarker, State Bank of Hyderabad, Bank of Maharashtra, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, ICICI Bank, Bank of Indiamarker, HDFC Bank, etc. Also Regional Rural Bank viz. Aurangabad Jalna Gramin Bank was established in 1982. During 2008 as per Govt. of India directives, Aurangabad Jalna Gramin Bank and Thane Gramin Bank (both sponsored by Bank of Maharashtra) was amalgamated, and new RRB came into existence namely Maharashtra Godavari Gramin Bank. The head office of which is in Aurangabad city. The area of operation is of nine districts viz. Aurangabad, Jalna, Jalgaon, Dhule, Nandurbar, Nasik, Ahmednagar, Thane and Raigad.

Administration and politics

Local administration

Aurangabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) is the local civil body. It is divided into six zones. The Municipal Council was established in 1936, the Municipal Council area was about 54.5 km2. It was elevated to the status of Municipal Corporation from 8 December 1982, and simultaneously including eighteen peripheral villages, making total area under its jurisdiction to 138.5 km2 extended its limits.

The city is divided in 99 electoral wards called as Prabhag, and each ward is represented by a Corporator (called as Nagarsevak) elected by the people from each ward. There are two Committees, General Body and Standing Committee headed by the Mayor and the Chairman respectively. AMC is responsible for providing basic amenities like drinking water, drainage facility, road,street lights, healthcare facilities, primary schools, etc. AMC collects its revenue from the urban taxes which are imposed on citizens. The administration is headed by the Municipal Commissioner; an I.A.S. Officer, assisted by the other officers of different departments.

State and central administration

Aurangabad contributes one seat to the Lok Sabha. The seat is currently held by Mr. Chandrakant Khaire, MP of the Shiv Sena party. It also holds the seat for the Assembly - Aurangabad West. Mr Rajendra Darda of (Indian National Congress) is the MLA from Aurangabad East constituency and holds the portfolio of Cabinet Minister for Industries, Government of Maharashtra.In latest constituency arrangements made by Election Commission of India, Aurangabad will conrtibute one Loksabha seat, and three state assembly seats, i.e. Aurangabad East, Aurangabad West and Aurangabad Central. The latest MLAs being - Aurangabad (East) - Mr . Rajendra Darda of Congress(I), Aurangabad (Central) - Mr. Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent) and Aurangabad(West) - Mr. Sanjay Shirsat of Shiv-Sena( Map of Aurangabad Loksabha and Assembly seats

Judiciary

Police Commissionerate Aurangabad
Bombay High Court Aurangabad Bench: The Aurangabad bench of The Bombay High Court was established in 1982. Initially only a few districts of Maharashtramarker were under the Aurangabad bench. Subsequently in 1988, Ahmednagarmarker and others districts were attached to the bench. The jurisdiction of the Aurangabad Bench is over Aurangabad, Ahmednagarmarker, Dhulemarker, Jalnamarker, Jalgaonmarker, Beedmarker, Parbhanimarker, Laturmarker and Osmanabadmarker. The bench also has a Bar council of Maharashtra and Goa office. The HC bench at Aurangabad is just approximately from the Aurangabad Airportmarker and around 6 km from central bus stand. The Aurangabad bench has a strong Bar of more than 700 advocates. The Aurangabad bench has now 15 judges. The present building of bench is situated in a very huge premises. The first phase of centrally located magnificent High Court edifice-constructed at a cost of Rs, 350 Lacs, having 6,202.18 square metres built up area was opened in the month of June 1995.

Media and communication

  • Newspapers: Lokmat is the leading newspaper of the region. Other daily newspapers published in the regional language are Aurangabad Times, Samana, Loksatta, Sakaal, Punyanagri and Sanjvarta and also there is a national news paper The Times Of India Pune Edition.
  • Radio: The city has four FM radio stations - All India Radio, Gyaanvani (dedicated to university learning and distance education) and Radio Mirchi 98.3fm, Red FM 93.5, Radio City 91.1 FM, with the private satellite radio station WorldSpace also available.
  • Internet: Internet facilities are provided by several suppliers, Now All City is Wi-Max (WI-FI), BSNLmarker is leading internet facilities provider, Media:Broadband Infosystems provides Sify Broadband, METAMAX and Hathway [MCN] providing a broadband service.
  • Internet News Aurangabad's first Internet news portal, covering 1,500 Indian cities and 152 countries WorldNewsEveryday.


Transport

The busy Jalna road


Road

Aurangabad is well connected by roads with various major cities of maharashtra and other states. National highway NH-211 (Dhulemarker-Aurangabad-Solapurmarker) passes through the city. Road connectivity is excellent and road connecting to Punemarker, Nagpurmarker, Beedmarker, Mumbaimarker are upgraded into four lane national highway.A New Nagpur-Aurangabad-Mumbai highway is being developed.

Inter-city

Flyover on Jalna road
The scheme of nationalization of passenger transport services was started as early as 1932 by the State of Hyderabad, which was one of the pioneers in the field of public road transport, first in collaboration with the railways and then as a separate Government Department. After the reorganization of States and with effect from 1 July 1961, the Marathwada State Transport was amalgamated with the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation.The "Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation" (MSRTC) and numerous other private bus operators provide a bus service to all parts of the state.

Intra-city

"Aurangabad Municipal Transport" (AMT) is an intra-city bus service which covers almost all parts of the city, and also connects to the more distant industrial suburbs. AMT (Aurangabad Municipal Transport) intra-city buses ply throughout the city including the outskirts, and connect different parts of the city and adjoining suburbs together. The AMT bus service is affordable, efficient and safe. The AMT buses are quite crowded during morning and evening rush hours.Metered auto rickshaws ply throughout the city. The fare is based on a meter and is computed by a tariff card available from the driver.

Air

Now Aurangabad has an International airport. Recently there were flights made available to all the people traveling to Hajj pilgrimage. Aurangabad Airportmarker has connecting flights to Delhi, Udaipur, Mumbai, Jaipur as well as Hyderabad.

Rail service

History

The Hyderabad-Godavari Valley Railway was establisted by the Nizam of Hyderabad and was part of the Nizam's Guaranteed State Railway owned and worked by a company under a guarantee from the Hyderabad State. The capital for Hyderabad-Godavari Valley Railway was raised by the issue of redeemable mortgage debentures.

The Hyderabad-Godavari Valley Railways (metre gauge) ran for 391 miles north-west from Hyderabad city to Manmad on the north-eastern section of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway and was built between 1899 and 1901.

Present

Aurangabad (station code: AWB) is a station located on the Kachiguda-Manmadmarker section of Nanded division of South Central Railway (SCR). The Manmad-Kacheguda Broad gauge railway line which emanates from the Mumbai-Bhusawal-Howrah trunk route at Manmadmarker is an important artery of traffic in Aurangabad district. The importance of this line lies in the fact that it has opened for traffic the fertile agricultural tract in Marathwada region. It also serves as a link between Mumbai and Secunderabadmarker in Andhra Pradesh. This line was formerly the only route of traffic as there were no good roads in the Marathwada region. This railway route was opened for traffic in 1900.

After Divisional adjustments in 2003, which saw the bifurcation of Hyderabad division, Aurangabad now comes under the newly created Nanded (NED) Division of SCR. Aurangabad has rail connectivity with Manmad, Aurangabad, Nanded, Parbhani, Parli Vaijnath, latur, Osmanabad, Gangakhed, Mudkhed, Adilabad, Nagpur, Basar, Nizamabad, Nasik, Mumbai, Pune, Daund, Mahbubnagar, Kurnool, Kadapa, Renigunta, Tirupati, Katpadi, Erode, Madurai and Kachiguda (KCG). Ajanta Express between Kachiguda and Manmad and Sachkhand Express between Amritsar and Nanded are the most prestigious trains passing through this station.

The Jan-shatabdi Express is the fastest and most comfortable train option to and from Mumbai, with a total traveling time of 6½ hours. Three overnight trains and two daytime trains also travel between Mumbai and Aurangabad.

Aurangabad has more number of trains to HYB than to any other city. Ajanta Express, Secunderabad Bi-Weekly Express, Kakinada Express, Devagiri Express, Hyderabad Passenger, Manmad-Kachiguda Passenger, Okha-Rameswaram Express — all these trains connect AWB with HYBt.

Education

Aurangabad has transformed into a major education centre in the Deccan due to its proximity with Pune. Aurangabad has schools run by the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation and private schools owned and run by trusts and individuals. Aurangabad has many schools and colleges for higher studies. It has five engineering colleges (including one government engineering college), one government medical college, one polytechnic college . A regional centre of DOEACC is also located here. Aurangabad has many good schools and education societies.

Aurangabad has many Marathi and English schools - St.Francis De sales high school,Kendriya Vidayala, Saraswati Bhuvan, sharda mandir, Gujrathi Vidhya Mandir, St.Francis De sales high school,The Ryan International (icse), Nath Valley (CBSE), Stepping Stones High School (CBSE), etc, are some of the well know schools in Aurangabad. Aurangabad Also houses The famous Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University

Aurangabad cantonment, Chawni

Cantonment is the greenest area of the Aurangabad city. It also has a nine hole golf course and is the only course in Marathwada region. Aurangabad Cantonment (chavni) was formed in the year 1819 with European Officers to train the Nizam Army. In 1903, a treaty was signed between British and the Nizam, and it was decided to establish a proper Cantonment. All villages belonging to Bikaner Riyasat (namely Karanpura, Padampura, Kesarsinghpura & Konkanwadi) were transferred to British. Today the Cantonment is spread across 2584 acres with civil population of 19274 as per 2001 census.

Tourist attractions

  • Bibi Ka Maqbaramarker: Situated about 3 km. from the city is Bibi Ka Maqbara, the burial place of Aurangzeb's wife, Rabia-ud-Durrani. It is an imitation of the Taj at Agra and due to its similar design, it is popularly known as the Mini Taj of the Deccan. The Maqbara stands in the middle of a spacious and formally planned Mughal garden with axial ponds, fountains, water channels, broad pathways and pavilions. Behind the mausoleum is located a small archaeological museum.
  • Panchakkimarker (water mill): Is a 17th century water mill situated at a distance of 1 km from the city. An intriguing water mill, the Panchakki is famous for its underground water channel, which traverses more than 8 km. to its source away in the mountains. The channel culminates in a mesmerising 'artificial' waterfall that powers the mill. The beauty of the mosque housed in the inner enclosure is enhanced by a series of 'dancing' water fountains.
  • Gates in aurangabad: One of the things that makes Aurangabad stand out from the several other medieval cities in India are its 52 'gates' each of which have a local history or had individuals linked with them. Not many people are aware of the fact that Aurangabad is also known as the 'City of Gates'.
  • Aurangabad Cavesmarker: Situated at a distance of 5 km, nestled amidst the hills are 12 Buddhist caves probably dating back to 3 A.D. Of particular interest are the Tantric influences evident in the iconography and architectural designs of the caves. One is also treated to a panoramic view of the city as well as the imposing Maqbara from this point.
  • Elloramarker-Ghrishneshwar Temple: Is half a kilometre away from the Ellora Caves, and 30 km. from Aurangabad. The present structure is an 18th century temple that presents outstanding architecture and carving. This place forms one of the five Jyotirlinga sites in Maharashtra where Lord Shiva is worshipped. The Ahilya Devi Holkar temple nearby is a must-see.
  • Khuldabadmarker: Is a walled town lying at a distance of 3 km. from Ellora. It is also termed as the Karbala town and forms the holy shrine of Deccan Muslims. It is believed that the Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb was buried here.
  • Pitalkhora Caves: Lies peacefully nestled in the Satmala ranges of the Sahyadris, at a distance of 78 kilometres from Aurangabad. There are 13 cave sanctuaries embedded in this region. These monasteries date back from 2nd century BC to 5th century AD. Rich carvings with elaborate details can be seen in these monuments.
  • Daulatabadmarker fort: Earlier known as Devgiri, is situated at a distance of 13 kilometres from Aurangabad. Also termed as the city of foutune, it houses a stupendous 12th century fortress well placed atop a charming hill. This invincible fortress boasts of a 5 kilometre sturdy wall and an intricate series of ramparts.
  • Aurangabad Ruins: Naukhanda Palace: The most conspicuous ruins are the palace of Asaf Jah and the Killa Arak. Malik Ambar (1546-1626 A. D.), the minister of Murtaza Nizam Shah II established himself at Khirki, the modern Aurangabad and erected a number of buildings and mosques. The Naukonda palace was built by him in 1616 upon the summit of a rising ground. The massive portal gateway leading to this, over which the Naubatkhana sounded, was called Barkal. According to one account a noble of Aurangzeb’s court named Alam, Khan, made additions to this Palace; and further additions were subsequently made by Asaf Jah I. An adjoining block of buildings was screened off by a partition wall for Nasir Jang. The Naukonda palace was also occupied by Nizam Ali Khan, when he was at Aurangabad. The whole place is now in utter ruins. The interior buildings consisted of five zananas, a Divani-Am a Divani Khas, a masjid and a kacheri, each provided with a garden and a cistern. The walls of the central part of the Devankhana, and a hamam or hot bath attached to the building, are in a fair state of preservation. However, the wood-work and the stucco plaster are all gone. The Divani-Am is a large quadrangular structure much in ruins. The Kacheri close by contains a gadi of the Nizam. In the throne room are placed the original paraphernalia.
Ajanta Caves are about 99 km, while Ellora caves are sited at a distance of 30 km from Aurangabad city of India.
  • Quila-E-Ark: In 1692, Aurangzeb ordered a palace to be built and named it as the Killa Arrak. The space enclosed by the Killa Arrak or citadel covered nearly the whole ground between the Mecca and Delhi gates of the city. It had four or five gateways and a nagarkhana for the musicians. The walls were battle-mented and loop-holed and had semi-circular towers at the angles, on which guns were once mounted. The inner portion was occupied by recesses similar to those in the city walls. To the right of the entrance was a high terrace extending the whole length of the ground enclosed. On this the remains of an extensive garden and half ruined tanks and cistern can still be traced. The Am Khas or the Darbar Hall, and the Jumma masjid are the only remains of interest. A plot of ground close to the masjid was walled in for purposes of sport. The gate leading to this ground contains an inscription dated in, 1659 A. D. The takht or throneroom of Aurangzeb is in a garden pavilion and has a rostral appearance. It is of a plain and simple description.
  • Barra Darri: Salar Jang’s palace and Govind Baksh’s mahal were between the Paithan and the Jafar gate. The Damri Mahal and the Barr Darri of Ivaz Khan are close to the Delhi gate. The Mahal is new occupied by the Collector’s Office. The Barra Darri and the adjoining buildings were erected by Ivaz, Khan. A covered aqueduct passes over one of the buildings and in the olden days water descended in a shower into an oblong cistern below containing several fountains. It is now inoperative.
  • Damri Mahal: The Damri Mahal which is close by was built after the completion of the Barra Darri. It is so named because it was constructed by levying a contribution of a ‘damri’ or the quarter of a dub, on an labourers employed on Barr Darri. An arcaded verandah projects in front like a portico, and contains five scolloped arches. Behind are ten rooms of varying sizes, arranged in a line. To the right are seven atom chambers with antechambers. The entrance is in the right corner. Close by, on a slightly higher level than the rest is another small but detached building. The roof is arched. There are also two cisterns, one in front of the verandah and another outside the building.
  • Kali Masjid, Jumma Masjid: Among the mosques, the Jumma masjid and the Kali masjid built by Malik Ambar, and the Shah Ganj mosque are the most conspicuous. Malik Ambar is said to have built seven mosques which go by the general name of Kali masjid. The Kali masjid is in Juna Bazar area and was erected in 1600 A. D. It is a six-pillared stone-building standing on a high plinth. The Jumma masjid of Malik Ambar is near the Killa Arrak. It has fifty polygonal pillars arranged in five rows, and connected by a system of arches, which divide the building into twenty-seven equal compartments, each covered by a domical vault of simple but elegant design. There are nine pointed arches in front. Of these, five were erected by Malik Ambar in 1612 A. D. and the remaining four were added by Aurangzeb. The plinth is high and contains several chambers which open on the market side. The sloping cornice is supported on brackets, and the parapet wall is neatly perforated. The corner angles contain octagonal shafts, ornamented with discs and carrying little domes. The design of the mosque is in very good taste, plain but solid, and more like the buildings of Bijapur. A spacious court in front of the mosque has open-fronted buildings in three sides for travellers. In the centre of the court there is a cistern drawing its supply from the Malik Amber canal popularly known as Nahar Amberi.
  • Shahganj Masjid : Occupying the great market square of Aurangabad is the large Shah Ganj mosque, one of the finest edifices of its class to be found in any put of India. It was built in about 1720 A.D. Khafi Khan, the author of Muntakhabu-1-Lubab, referring to Sayyad Husain Khan’s viceroyalty of the Deccan (1714-1719) says "the reservoir at Shah Ganj was begun by Sayyad Husain Ali, and although Aazu-d Daula Iraz Khan enlarged and made higher the buildings and mosques still Sayyad Husain Ali was the originator of that extensive reservoir, which in summer, when water is scarce relieves the sufferings of the inhabitants". The mosque is on a raised platform, and has shops on three of the outer sides; while the fourth or the north side is open and is ascended by a flight of steps the facade represents an arcade of five scolloped arches, constructed in the Indo-Saracenic style, and supported on stone pillars. This portion projects a little; and the interior contains twenty four pillars, which with six pilasters in the back wall, are arranged in the form of a square. The central portion is covered with a graceful bulbous dome, having the base adorned with crisp crinkled lotus leave tied in a neat narrow band; and the apex bears an elegant spire. Arcaded monasteries called Kham Khas, form the east and the west wings, and consist of five arches on either side, constructed like the arches of the main building, but of horizontal structure. The interior is connected by horizontal arches ; and the roof is formed of a series of little domes, each supported on four pillars. There are minarets at the corners of the main building, and at the end angels of the Kham Khas. The courtyard in front contains two large cisterns. The entrance is in the form of a little mosque, with a pointed arch and two minarets.
  • Chowk Masjid: In 1655 was built the Chauk Masjid by Shayista Khan, the maternal uncle of Aurangzeb. Its front has five pointed arches, and is two arches in depth. These are connected with one another by eight pillars and corresponding pilasters, and support five domes. The central dome, with a metallic spire is lofty, while the others are concealed in the roof. The corners are decorated with minarets. The whole structure has a high basement containing chambers used for shop, which open out on the roadside. The gate has two minarets. There is a cistern in the courtyard in front of the mosque
  • Jayakwadi dammarker:Jayakwadi project is one of the largest irrigation projects in Maharashtra.It is a multipurpose project. Its water is used mainly to irrigate agricultural land in the drought prone Marathwada region of Maharashtra state. It also provides water for drinking and industrial usage to nearby towns and villages and to the municipalities and industrial areas of Aurangabad and Jalna.The surrounding area of the dam has a beautiful garden and a bird santuary.
  • Paithanmarker: Is an ancient taluka town, which lies 50 km. to the south of Aurangabad. The looms of Paithan still weave the beautiful Paithani saris that are prized by women. It has formed a very important excavation site recently. Of the few attractions found nearby, the Jayakwadi dammarker is a treat to the eyes of the avid bird watchers. The garden is on the lines of Vrindavan Garden of Mysore with channels of flowing water, musical fountain, varied trees, plants, shrubs, and flowers. It is one of the best maintained gardens. The lighting arrangement is also very charming. The entire garden creates the most picturesque and enchanting environment. The town is also famous for the Dnyaneshwar Udyan, which is the largest garden in Maharashtra, and a museum which treasues a fascinating collection of art.
  • Elloramarker: The cave temples of Ellora, listed among the World Heritage sites, are 30 km northwest of the city. Ellora caves are again rock-cut caves with beautiful temples and monasteries. There are 34 caves in all, which have been segregated as 12 Mahayana Buddhist caves (550-750 A.D.), 17 Hindu caves (600-875 A.D) and 5 caves of the Jain faith (800-1000 A.D.). Lately 22 new caves have been discovered that are dedicated to Lord Shiva. Carved out of a single huge rock, there is a gateway, pavilion, courtyard, vestibule, sanctum and tower. The Kailash Temple near the caves is a major attraction of this place.
  • Ajantamarker: The world famous Buddhist caves at Ajanta, also a World Heritage site, lies to the northeast of Aurangabad. The splendid caves of Ajanta are not new to anyone. Nestling in the tranquil laps of the Sahyadri hills, at a distance of 100 km. from Aurangabad are 30 rock cut caves of Ajanta that date back to 2nd century B.C. The caves have on display, exquisite paintings, and sculptures depicting Buddha's life, halls and monasteries. The land was discovered in 1819, by a group of British Officers.
  • Pariyon ka Talab: Situated at a distance of 30 km, Pariyaon ka Talab translated to mean 'Fairies' Lake', is a large lake with steps all along its western shore and a stage like platform which bears great resemblance to the ancient Roman Amphitheatre. On the banks is also a temple of Shiva with its own colourful history.
  • Bani Begum Gardens: 24 kilometres from Aurangabad lie the Bani Begum Gardens, which surrounded the tomb of one of Aurangazeb's queens. Bani Begum was the wife of one of Aurangazeb's sons. One can come across fluted pillars, massive domes and fountains that are built is various different styles.
  • Mhaismal: 33 km from Aurangabad, is another tourist spot. Mhaismal originally called 'Maheshmal'. An ancient temple of Girijamata is in the village and an exact replica of Lord Balaji temple, Tirupati is located at the top of hill. It is a small but beautiful hill station situated in the vicinity of Ellora caves has also become a hotspot for adventure sports like paragliding and parasailing.
  • Lonarmarker Crater: 122 km away from the city is Lonar - one of the world's 5 largest craters, formed by the impact of meteorite nearly 50,000 years ago. It is also believed that impact craters like the Lonar crater is one of the probable causes for the extinction of dinosaurs. The surface diameter of the crater is nearly 1.75 km., and its depth is nearly 132 metres. At its base has formed a beautiful lake, formed over thousands of years by the perennial streams flowing into the crater. On the periphery of the lake are temples built in the 12th - 13th century. Their exquisite carvings are remnants of their glorious past.
  • Gautala Sanctuary: Is a sanctuary situated at a distance of 65 km from Aurangabad. Spread in the hill ranges of Sahyadri in the proximity of Aurangabad and Chalisgaon. The diversified vegetation scattered intermittently support rich faunal and floral diversity. Particularly it is good for sloth bear habitat and excellent for resident and migratory birds.
  • Museums: Aurangabad is home to some of the best museums that are unknown and forgotten. It hosts the State Archaeology Museum (Sonehri Mahal), University History Museum and Aurangabad Municipal Corporation Museum. These museums house some of the historical landmarks of this city's growth. Objects from the excavations of the ASI - Archaeological Survey of India are here. Coins, medals, seals, tools, arms, armour, jewellery, manuscripts, textiles, gems can be seen here but are little known and unique.
  • Folk Art: Aurangabad hosts the greatest folk art traditions and can boast of Tamashas and Lavanis, Powadas and Gondhals, Rang Baazi and Sawaal Jawab, Dhol Nritya, Jhimma, Phugdi, Tarpi, Dindi and Folks Songs.
  • Other attractions: An Ideal Gateway to Religious Destinations namely Shirdi, Nanded, Paithan, Grishneshwar, Shani Shingnapurmarker, Aundha Nagnath, Parli Vaijnath, Khadkeshwar, Bhadra Maruti Deosthan all of which are well connected by road and railways to the city.


Culture and Cuisine

The culture of Aurangabad city is heavily influenced by Hyderabadmarker. The old city still retains the cultural flavour and charms of Muslim culture of Hyderabad. Its influence is reflected in the language and cuisine of the locals. Although Marathi and Urdu are the principle languages of the city but they are spoken in Dakhni / Hyderabadi Urdu dialect..

Wali Dakhni also known as Wali Aurangabadi (1667-1731 or 1743) was a classical poet of Urdu from Aurangabad. He was the first established poet to have composed in Urdu language. Prominent poets like Shah Hatem, Shah Abro, Mir Taqi Mir, Zauq and Saudamarker -- were among his admirers.

Cuisine

Naan Qalia is a dish that is associated with Aurangabad in India. It is a concoction of mutton and a variety of spices. Naan is the bread made in tandoor (Hot furnace) while Qalia is a mixture of mutton and various spices.

The dish originated in the army camp of Muhammad bin Tughlaq when he shifted his capital from Delhi to Daulatabadmarker in the year 1327. Later the dish was used in the army camps of the Mughals who had their base in and around Daulatabad and Aurangabad in the deccan. Soldiers and camp followers settled in Aurangabad patronised the dish and the tradition continues to this day.

Tahri :Tahri or Tahari is similar to pulao and is very popular in Aurangabad and Marathwada. Tahri is prepared by adding the meat to the rice, as opposed to traditional Biryani where the rice is added to the meat.

The local cuisine too derives heaveily from Hyderabadi cuisine in the sense that many dishes are common to both the cities e.g. Biryani Dalcha, Nihari, Double ka meetha, Sheer korma, Khatti dal Khichdi, Kairi ka achaar etc.The local cuisine is a blend of Mughlai and Persian cuisines, with an influence of the spices and herbs of the Marathwada region.

Marathwada / Dakhni cuisine is a blend of the Puneri and the Hyderabadi influence(which beautifully blends the use of typical South Indian ingredients such as curry leaves, tamarind and coconut into their celebrated culinary practices). The Deccani cuisine is a simple yet sumptuously wholesome affair. The stress is on the powdered masalas and their right proportions while cooking, unlike the Moghlai items where emphasis is on opulent garnishing and seasoning. While Moghlai is mostly prepared by low-simmer in dum-style, Deccani food is not as time consuming and spicy as its royal counterpart.

The availability of staple, easily used ingredients and some derivatives such as the Vadis (dried rice/lentil nuggets), vegetables of the season brinjal appear on most menus while the other lentils from the region make their presence felt in the Jhunka and bhakar with pitla (raw tomato curry made thick with besan), masurchi amti (a kind of dal) and a dash of tangy lahsun ki chutney. The use of groundnut with garlic, chillies and kopra are seen in the creation of the Chutney, thechas and pastes/gravies (with the onion as the main ingredient). Amongst distinctive items are, ambat chukya chi bhaji, batatyachi sukhi bhaji, vangicha bhurtha, sago khichdi, lasun cha sar, gajar koshimbir chutney, padval chutney, channa chi dal chutney, mulya cha sambar and vadium amongst others.

The mutton and Gavran Chicken are widely used to prepare curry. The accompanying bread or Bhakri, is of jowar, bajra or Chapati made from wheat flour and variations such as Dhapatya, the Thalipeeth which is made from a combination of various grains and partaken with butter. Several varieties of salads are available, like sprouted salad, bund gobi cha salad, mirchi cha raita, dahi ki chutney and hara chana salad. Amongst snacks or starters, are bhel poori, muruku.

Sweets are a delight in Deccani cuisine. From beetroot halwa, besan laddu, gulab jamun, srikhand, double ka meetha, til ka laddu, to name a few, puran poli is best had with a generous ladling of malai and ghee in equal measure, the tempting goodies are just irresistible.

But the Naan Qalia, is the undisputed brand ambassador for Aurangabad and is a must have to leave a lasting impression...

Local Arts

  • Paithani Textiles: From this region have found recognition for their unique charm. The Paithani sarees from paithan, which is 50 km from Aurangabad even today, are considered to be priced possession by one and all. One can get an opportunity to witness this 2000-year-old art of weaving Paithani sarees. The yarn used is of pure silk and the zari or gold threads are drawn from pure gold.


Mashru and Himroo

Aurangabad is famous for Mashru and Himroo fabrics made of cotton and silk with the luster of satin. Himru is an age-old weaving craft, and was originally known as kum khuab.
  • Himroo : The fabric has an interesting History. Said to have originated in Persia, though not conclusively proved, Himroo is associated with the times of Mohammad Tughlaq who ruled in the 14th century. When Mohammad Tughlaq shifted his capital from Delhi to Daulatabadmarker many weavers came and settled here. During the exodus the weavers instead of returning to Delhi stayed back here. During the reign of Malik Ambar, the city's fame attratced many people from far and wide. Aurangabad during Aurangzeb's Governorship and the times of Mughal became the capital and the weavers became more prosperous. The only industry in Aurangabad allured hundreds of craftsman. Members of the royal family and an elite few used the famous Aurangabad Himroo. Himroo weaving is very characteristic and distinctive. Fabrics and shawls from Aurangabad are much in demand for their unique style and design ".
  • Bidriware : A unique form of gold/silver inlays on copper is preserved here from ancient Persian traditions that have been sustained in the Deccan. This ancient art still finds expression in the modern items like cufflinks, nameplates and more. Typical bidri items include plates, bowls, vases, ashtrays, trinket boxes, huqqa bases and jewellery.
  • Kaghzipura : A place situated near Daulatabad made first handmade paper in India after the technology was brought here by Mongol invaders - it is a landmark even today. Interestingly this paper has been used to print the Quran.


Gallery

Image:Meister des Mahâjanaka Jâtaka 001.jpg|Ajanta CavesmarkerImage:Kailasha temple at ellora.JPG|Kailasha Temple in Ellora CavesmarkerImage:bibika.jpg|Bibi Ka MaqbaramarkerImage:Ellora Kailash temple Nataraj painted panel.jpg|Kailash temple in Ellora CavesmarkerImage:Aurangabad - Ajanta Caves (57).JPG|Ajanta CavesmarkerImage:Aurangabad - Daulatabad Fort (95).JPG|Daulatabadmarker (deogiri) fortImage:Panchakki fountain, Aurangabad.jpg|Panchakkimarker, The Fountain.Image:Siddharthagarden.jpg|Siddhartha GardenImage:Indischer Maler des 6. Jahrhunderts 001.jpg|Painting from the Ajanta Cavesmarker in Aurangabad, Maharashtra, sixth century.Image:Dnyaneshwar Grdn..jpg|Sant Dnyaneshwar Udyan, PaithanImage:Satyamjaite.jpg|Hutatma StumbhImage:Aurangabad - Ajanta Caves (36).JPG|Ajanta Cavesmarker


Neighborhoods of Aurangabad City

  • Aarif Colony
  • Aasifiya Colony
  • Aurangpura
  • Altamash Colony
  • Angoori Bagh
  • Bada Takiya
  • Baiji Pura
  • Bajaj Nagar & Waluj
  • Bansilal Nagar
  • Bari Colony
  • Begum Pura
  • Bhadkal Gate
  • Buddi Lane
  • CIDCO(N-1 to N-15)
  • Central Naka
  • Cheli Pura
  • Chota Takiya
  • City Chowk
  • Champa Chowk
  • Delhi Gate
  • Dr. Rafiq Zakaria Road
  • Ganesh Colony
  • Garkheda
  • Gulmandi
  • Gulmohar Colony CIDCO N-5


  • Harsul
  • Hazrat Nizamuddin Road
  • Heena Nagar
  • Hilaal Colony
  • Himayat Baugh
  • HUDCO (H-1 to H-20)
  • Itkheda
  • Jaffer Gate
  • Jai Vishwabharti Colony
  • Jaisinghpura
  • Jalan Nagar
  • Jalna Road
  • Jawahar Colony
  • Jinsi
  • Juna Bazar
  • Jubilee Park
  • Jyotinagar
  • Kabaadipura
  • Kanchan Wadi
  • Kareem Colony
  • Kat Kat Gate
  • Khadkeshwar
  • Kirad Pura
  • Kranti Chowk
  • Lota Karanja


  • Mahmood Pura
  • Maqsood Colony
  • Mondha
  • Motiwala Nagar
  • Moti Karanja
  • Mujeeb Colony
  • Mukund Wadi
  • Nava Bhaata(Osmanpura)
  • Nageshwarwadi
  • Nakshatra Wadi
  • Nandanvan Colony
  • Naryali Baugh
  • National Colony
  • Nawabpura
  • New Shreynager
  • Nirala Bazaar near by sagar bhosale home
  • Nishaan
  • Noor Colony - Town Hall
  • Osmanpura
  • Peer Bazar
  • Padampura
  • Padegaon
  • Paithan Gate
  • Pandharpur & Chitegaon MIDC


  • Qiasar Colony
  • Raja Bazar
  • Rasheed Pura
  • Rauza Baugh
  • Roshan Gate
  • Shah Colony Osmanpura
  • Saadat Nagar
  • Sabzi Mandi Paithan Gate
  • Samarthnagar
  • Satara Parisar
  • Sawarkar nagar N-5(South) CIDCO
  • Seven Hills
  • Shah Bazar
  • Shah Ganj
  • Shahnoorwadi
  • Shah Noor Miyan Darghah
  • Shendra MIDC
  • Shivaji Nagar
  • Shivsamadhan Colony Vyankatesh Colony
  • Shivshankar Colony
  • Silk Mills
  • Silli Khana
  • Town Hall
  • Tilaknagar
  • Rauf Colony Near Nehru Bhawan
  • TV Center.
  • Ulkanagari
  • Vasundhara Colony
  • Vishram Baugh Colony
  • Yunus Colony
  • Zambad Estate


nawab building (center naka)

Attractions in Aurangabad

Cidco Auditorium at N-6, Aurangabad.
  • Ghanshyam's 49 n 99,Gifts, cannought,Aurangabad
  • PVR Gallery, Chikalthana, Aurangabad
  • Spencers Hyper, Chikalthana, Aurangabad
  • Vishal Mega Mart, Railway Station Road, Aurangabad
  • Big Bazaar, Jalna Road, Aurangabad
  • Fame-Tapdiya, Cidco, Aurangabad
  • Anjali Big Cinemas, Khadkeshwar, Aurangabad
  • More Hypermarket, Opp.Akashwani, Jalna Rd, Aurangabad
  • Marathwada Ambedkar University
  • Reliance Retail Mall and Multiplex (Mar-2010), Garkheda, Aurangabad
  • Divisional Sports Complex, Garkheda, Aurangabad
  • Sant Eknath Rangmandir, Osmanpura, Aurangabad
  • Prozone Empire Mall (June-2010), API Corner, Chikhalthana, Aurangabad
  • CIDCO Natya Griha
  • Globus @ Fame Tapadia Cidco
  • Cidco Cannought Market
  • Global Mall ( Dec-10 / Jan-11), Shanoormiya Durgah Rd, Aurangabad
  • City Center Mall ( Jan-11 ), Behind Big Bazaar, Jalna Rd, Aurangabad
  • Aurangabad Kalagram, Garware Stadium Campus, Chikalthana, Aurangabad.


Geographical Location

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message