The Full Wiki

More info on Barrowford

Barrowford: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Barrowford is a large village and civil parish in the Pendlemarker district of Lancashiremarker, Englandmarker. It is situated to the north of Nelsonmarker on the other side of the M65 motorway, and forms part of the Burnleymarker/Nelson conurbation. It also comprises the area of Lowerford and sometimes gets confused with its neighbour Higherfordmarker. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 6,039.

Barrowford is situated on the MarsdenmarkerGisburnmarkerLong Prestonmarker Turnpike. One of the original toll houses, dating from 1804-5, can still be seen at the junction with the road to Colnemarker, complete with a reproduction of the table of tolls which were paid. The toll house was restored in the 1980s and is owned by the trust which operates nearby Pendle Heritage Centremarker. Barrowford is located about a mile from the Leeds-Liverpool Canalmarker, and a set of seven locks leads to the highest section of the canal between Barrowford and Barnoldswickmarker. About a mile on from the locks heading towards Leedsmarker is Foulridge Tunnelmarker known locally as the mile tunnel. The packhorse bridge near Higherford Mill is the oldest in Barrowford, dating back to the end of the 16th century. It formerly lay on the old main road to Gisburnmarker which was superseded by the Turnpike road built in 1804. In September 2006 this mill was featured on the BBC's Restoration program.

The village has a modern Church of England church (St Thomas') built to replace one which burnt down in 1964. The church now also has a primary school situated next door.

The village has two rivers, Pendle Watermarker flows through the town with trout that can often be seen in the gin clear waters. The other river is Colne Watermarker, which joins Pendle Water behind the site of the now demolished Samuel Holden cotton mill, this river flows down from the moors above the town of Colnemarker, again this river holds good trout.

Barrowford has been a centre for textile production since at least the sixteenth century, when a fulling mill is recorded in the village. Until the late 18th century, the manufacture of woollen cloth was the primary industry, but in 1780, the fulling mill was rebuilt by Abraham Hargreaves as a cotton spinning mill. It was powered by a water wheel, fed by water drawn off at the weir on Pendle Water. What was the mill reservoir is now the ornamental pond in Barrowford Park, whilst remains of the mill survive in the corner of the nearby children's playground. For the next 50 years, cotton cloth was woven in the many handloom weavers' cottages which can still be seen along the main road through the village. As power looms were introduced into the cotton industry in north east Lancashire in the 1820s, weaving gradually became a factory industry and production moved from the home to the massive weaving sheds which began to be constructed. One of the last examples of a working weaving shed can be seen at the East Lancashire Towel Company, which still produces traditional terry towelling on Lancashire looms. Another weaving shed at Higherford Mill has now been converted to artists' workshops. By the 1860s, the village was heavily reliant on the cotton mills for employment, and during the American Civil War was badly affected by the Cotton Famine, along with the rest of Lancashire. The wall alongside the river opposite Barrowford Park was built during this period to provide work for the weavers - the milestone which projects from the wall is dated 1866. However little remains of Barrowford's industrial past, and the village today is a tourist destination and home to commuters who work across the county.

Local Media

The daily Lancashire Telegraph newspaper covers Barrowford in its Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale edition. The Nelson Leader which is a weekly publication also covers Barrowford.

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address