Basford was an rural district close to Nottingham, England, from 1894
to 1974. The district consisted of two detached parts, to the north and south of Nottingham.
It was created under the Local Government Act 1894
the existing Basford rural
Nottingham suburb of Basford was not part of the rural district, having been
added to Nottingham in 1877.
Bilborough, Wollaton and parts of
both Bestwood Park and Colwick were
transferred to the City of Nottingham in 1933. The area of Leake Rural District was added in 1935.
parts of the Clifton with
Glapton and Ruddington parishes were also transferred to the City of
the district was split between the new non-metropolitan districts
of Ashfield, Broxtowe, Gedling and Rushcliffe. The parishes of Annesley, Felley and Selston went to
Ashfield; the parishes of Awsworth, Brinsley, Cossall, Greasley, Kimberley, Nuthall, Strelley and Trowell went to
Broxtowe; the parishes of Bestwood
Joyce, Calverton, Lambley, Linby, Newstead, Papplewick, Stoke
Bardolph and Woodborough went to Gedling, and the rest to Rushcliffe
including the small towns of Ruddington and Radcliffe on Trent.