Beauvale Charterhouse (also
known as Beauvale Priory) was a Carthusian monastery in Beauvale, Nottinghamshire.
It is a scheduled ancient monument
It was founded in 1343
by Nicholas de Cantelupe
during the reign of Edward III
in honour of the Blessed Trinity
for a prior and twelve monks. It was the third of nine houses of
the Carthusian order established in England. The two earlier houses
were established in Witham
Friary and Hinton in Somerset.
Charterhouse, St. Annes near Coventry, Kingston on
Hull and Mountgrace in Yorkshire, Eppworth and Shene.
The annual value of this monastery was just under £200, the limit
for the suppression of the lesser
; but by paying the heavy fine of £166 13s. 4d. the
monks obtained the doubtful privilege of deferring the day of their
dissolution. This bargain was effected on 2nd
The surrender of this house and of all its possessions in the
counties of Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, and Derbyshire, took
place on 18th July 1539. It received the signatures of Thomas
Woodcock (prior), and of seven other monks, John Langdale, William
Welles, Alexander Lowthe, Edmund Garner, Robert Gowton (proctor),
Thomas Leyghton, and Thomas Wallis.
Houghton, and Robert Lawrence were amongst the Carthusian Martyrs executed on 4 May 1535
London for treason.
List of priors
- William, occurs 1404
- Richard de Burton, occurs 1422, 1426
- Thomas Metheley, occurs 1468
- John Swift, occurs 1478
- Thomas Wydder, occurs 1482
- Nicholas Wartre, occurs 1486
- John Houghton 1531.
- Robert Lawrence ,
- Thomas Woodcock, 16 December 1537 - surrender 1539
fragments of stained glass are now in St. Mary's