Bewdley Bridge is a
three-span masonry arch bridge over the
River Severn at Bewdley, Worcestershire.
The two side spans are
each 52 feet, with the central span 60 feet. The central arch rises
18 feet. Smaller flood arches on the bank bridge the towpath. The
bridge is 27 feet wide.
There had been bridges
at this location from
, each being destroyed and replaced. Severe
flooding in 1795
destroyed the previous bridge.
That bridge comprised five pointed stone arches. A stone gatehouse
on one pier had been replaced with a stone cottage by the time of a
print. One of the arches had also been
damaged by the Royalists in 1644
and rebuilt in
Parts of a fifteenth century bridge were rediscovered in 2004
during excavations for new flood defences.
Thomas Telford designed the current bridge,
which was built in 1798 by Shrewsbury-based contractor John Simpson for £11,000.
Its toll house was demolished in the 1960s.
- Cragg, R., Civil Engineering Heritage - Wales & West
Central England, Thomas Telford Publishing, 2nd edn., 1997,
- Jervoise, E., Ancient Bridges of Wales & Western
England, EP Publishing Ltd., 1976 (first published 1936) ISBN
- Witts, C., A Century of Bridges, River Severn
Publications, 2nd edn., 1998, ISBN 0-9532711-0-2