Borivali ( ) is a suburban area located in the north-west
section of Mumbai
It may also be spelt as 'Borivli'. Borivali is
approximately from Mumbai
Airport and from Churchgate
The estimated population
of Borivali in 1991 was over 6
town was developed in areas of what once used to be small villages
called Eksar, Kandivali, Shimpoli and others which were situated on and
around Mount Poinsur.
It was between two rivers Tulsi and
Poinsur.The existence of portughese church. and also the caves
namely Mandpeshwar and Kanheri caves gives glance of rich history
of this place. Borivali was spelt 'Berewlee' by the British and is also known as Borivli.
National Park lies in the eastern section of Borivali near the
Western Express Highway (NH 8).
has a few lions and panthers and a 4th century BCE archaeological site called Kanheri Caves is located within the park.
Borivali is also
home to the Mandapeshwar Caves
which are located in its Western part. Gorai
is located on the western coast of Borivali. This place
is famous as a crossover point for Essel World, Water Kingdom and a
quick way to reach Gorai village. Veer Savarkar Udayan on L. T.
Road is an idle place for all which have facilities like mini
aquarium, boating, scatting etc.
- Gopal Shetty (M.L.A.) - Former Deputy Mayor of Mumbai and BJP's
- Vinod Ghedia - Deputy Mayor of Mumbai
- Rohit Sharma - Member, Indian Cricket Team
The Borivali Railway Station is a terminus for all slow
trains on the Mumbai Suburban Railway
serves as the final city-limit stop for all mail and express trains
on Western Railway before leaving Mumbai.
of 2006, there are plans to extend the Harbour Line
to Borivali, and expansion plans
are in full steam at the railway station.
As of July 2007, there are 8 platforms at Borivali railway station.
No: 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8 (from Borivali (West) side) handle trains
between Borivali and Churchgate while 4,
5 and 6 are exclusively used for Virar bound trains
and long distance mail/express trains.
The 1st platform also
caters to Virar bound slow train and sometimes express trains.
Recently, even 2nd and 3rd platforms cater to/from Virar/Bhayendar
trains. The 7th and 8th platforms are terminal platforms.
Recently, reports have been arising of public discontent over the
large distance between 8th platform and the 1st platform
(approximate distance is 0.9 km). February 4 witnessed
spontaneous public outburst of Borivali Commuters over this issue.
The cancellation of 9:10 Churchgate Fast Local starting from
platform 2 was abruptly canceled triggering the unrest until
normalcy was restored in the evening.
The platform, sanctioned under the Railway budget 2009-10, had been
announced after a protest by Borivli commuters paralysed services
on Western Railways earlier this year. The station building was
sanctioned in the previous budget and work on it started in May
Platform 6A will be used for long distance and suburban services as
well as 15-car coach trains when they start. Platform 6A will be
carved out of platform 6, after the existing platform's width is
extended from 6 mts to 10 mts. The increase in width will also
result in one of the two lines on the east of platform 6 being done
away with. This means there will ultimately be two platforms called
6A-the one on the other side of platform 6, as well as another
330-mts long platform to be built. A new track will run between the
two new platforms.
People live in small communities called colonies such as I.C Colony
, Chikuwadi, Kastur Park, Shimpoli,
Yogi Nagar, Devki Nagar, Saibaba Nagar, LIC Colony, Madonna Colony,
Marian Colony, Kanti park and Kanderpada.
In the Eastern part of Borivali, adivasi people were living in
padas (Tribal name for their colony). The colonies were known as
padas till their names were changed. The places are
Rajendra Nagar, Dattpada, Devipada, Kajupada,
Factory lane, Kulupwadi Road, Rawalpada and Devlapada and T.P.S.
Hospitals and health care
The health care facility in Borivli is amongst the best in the
There are number of small hospitals and Nursing homes which take
care of health needs of the population.
- Bhagwati hospital is a prominent Municipal hospital on SVP
- Karuna hospital is a prominent hospital at the beginning of LIC
colony just off SVP Road.
- Vivek Pathology Laboratory
- Vibha - The Family hospital, Kora kendra, Near Macdonalds,
- Suvarna General Hospital, Kastur Park, Shimpoli Road, Borivali
- Mandpeshwar Hospital, Rokadia cross lane (near Gokul hotel),
- Apex Hospital, Chandawakar Road (opp. Sagar Darshan), Borivali
Schools and Colleges
- Suvidya Prasarak Sanghache M. H. Chogale Vidyalaya
- Saint Francis
D'Assisi High School
- Mary Immaculate Girls' High School
- Shailendra education high school
- Ajmera High School/Ajmera Global High School
- Don Bosco High School
- Namdar Gopal krishna Gokhale High school
- Himalaya High School
- St. Lawrence High School
- St. Anne's High School
- St. Xavier's High School, Ratan Nagar
- Our Lady of Vailankanni High School
- Our Lady of Remedy High School
- Shailendra education high school
- R. C. Patel High School (Formerly known as New High
- Swami Vivekanand InternationalSchool
- Sheth G. H. high school (Borivali east)
- J B Khot High School (Borivali West and East)
- Sheth D.M. High School (Daulat Nagar,East)