Bow Brickhill is a village and civil parish
in the Borough of
Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire,
England. It is just a short distance south east of
The church at Bow Brickhill, hidden in
the trees from every approach until you enter the churchyard.
The village name is a combination of Brythonic
and Anglo Saxon
words for 'hill'
, Anglo Saxon hyll
). The prefix
'Bow' comes from an Anglo Saxon personal name,
The village church stands separate from the rest of the village, on
the side of a steep hill. This arrangement is common in places that
have a strong Celtic history. The church stood in ruins for many
years, services having ceased long before the English Civil War
took place, so the
church was demolished and completely rebuilt in 1757. The church is
dedicated to All Saints
hymn tune "Bow Brickhill" by Sydney Nicholson was composed in honour of
the church here, after it played host to Nicholson and his
choristers from Westminster
Abbey in 1923.
railway station, which serves the village, is on the Bletchley-Bedford Marston