The Full Wiki

More info on Brentwood, Pennsylvania

Brentwood, Pennsylvania: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Brentwood is a borough in Allegheny Countymarker, Pennsylvaniamarker, United Statesmarker and is part of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. The population was 10,466 at the 2000 census.

Geography and Climate

Brentwood is located at (40.374469, -79.976179) .According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.8 km²), all of it land.

The borough is located on the Allegheny Plateau, 5 miles south the confluence of the Allegheny River from the Northeast and Monongahela River from the Southeast form the Ohio River.

Due to its position between the Great Lakesmarker and the windward side of the Allegheny Mountains, Brentwood receives plentiful precipitation which supports the region's lush vegetation. Also, because it is on the windward side of the mountains, it is often cloudy, having 203 cloudy days per year. The winter is particularly cloudy, with only 28 percent sunshine in December with 23 cloudy days. In the winter, when a northwest flow establishes itself over the Great Lakes, the wind blows from Lake Eriemarker across eastern Ohiomarker and western Pennsylvania. That wind carries moist air from the lake, often producing heavy snow squalls. It also produces clouds. In addition, deep low pressure systems often establish themselves in the winter over Hudson Baymarker. Those systems also bring clouds and precipitation to the lower Great Lakes and western Pennsylvania.

Surrounding communities



History

Brentwood Borough, located approximately six miles from downtown Pittsburghmarker, was once an integral part of Baldwin Townshipmarker, and included the villages of Brentwood, Point View, and Whitehall.

Brentwood was formed when a group of citizens in the village of Brentwood banded together and took a set of grievances; the lack of sidewalks, sewers, fire protection, police, and a school house, to the Baldwin Township Board of Commissioners. The continuous disregard of these necessities from the Township prompted a group of men from the Village of Brentwood to hold a meeting on January 27, 1915 discuss secession. After considerable discussion, the boundary lines of Brentwood were finalized by the Board of Trade. Building a sidewalk along Brownsville Road was the first official action taken by the Board of Trade. On November 6, 1915 the Quarter Sessions Court of Allegheny County decreed that Brentwood was officially seceded from Baldwin Township. The proceedings to incorporate were filed on May 15, 1916, creating the Borough of Brentwood.

On December 4, 1915, special elections were held to elect a Burgess, auditors, justices of the peace, high constable, tax collector, assessor, and councilmen. Brentwood’s first burgess was Bernard Kestner, sworn in on December 9, 1915. He served Brentwood for sixteen years. The board met monthly and continued to discuss necessary steps for the structure of the Borough.

On Labor Day, 1928, the borough celebrated the official opening of the park, pool, and paving of Brownsville Road.

A former Councilman of Brentwood Borough, Bob Cranmer served as an Allegheny Countymarker commissioner, 1996-2000, and was involved with numerous civic projects.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 10,466 people, 4,658 households, 2,762 families, residing in the borough. The population density was 7,237.2 people per square mile (2,786.9/km²). There were 4,895 housing units at an average density of 3,384.9/sq mi (1,303.4/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.95% White, 0.54% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.

There were 4,658 households out of which 26.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.6% were married couples living together, 11.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.7% were non-families. 35.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.95.

In the borough the population was spread out with 21.2% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.

The median income for a household in the borough was $37,013, and the median income for a family was $48,552. Males had a median income of $36,097 versus $29,526 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $20,024. About 4.8% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.0% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.

The people of Brentwood are generally of German, Irish, and English descent.

Brentwood, Pennsylvania.
Picture Taken May 28th, around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
Brentwood, Pennsylvania.
Picture Taken May 28th, around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
Brentwood, Pennsylvania.
Picture Taken May 28th, around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
Brentwood, Pennsylvania.
Picture Taken May 28th, around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.


Education

The Court of Common Pleas appointed Brentwood's first school board who took charge of school business in July 1916, and the first group of teachers were hired that same year in September. Brentwood’s first school was Moore Elementary School, then only a four room school house, which stands today and is still used by children and teachers today. Because Moore School was not sufficient in size for all the students in the Borough, Elroy School was built about three-quarters of a mile away toward Pittsburghmarker, and renovations were completed in 1925 to both schools.

The first Brentwood High Schoolmarker opened in the basement of Elroy School in September 1925 and only taught up to and including ninth grade. The high school was newly built in 1932 adjacent to the current Brentwood Park, later; an addition was constructed in 1939 because of the increase in population, and once again in 1959. This renovation included more rooms and a new gymnasium.

In the late 1960s, Pennsylvania experienced a consolidation of school districts. Some wanted the Brentwood school district to be folded into the Baldwin-Whitehall district. However, this consolidation was never realized, and in 1972 a new four-story building containing classrooms and an indoor pool was constructed.

In the early 1990s the consensus on the School Board was to close Moore and Elroy schools and consolidate them into an expanded K-12th grade facility at the existing high school. An intense community debate on whether to close Moore and Elroy schools ensued with the supporters of preserving and rehabilitating Moore and Elroy prevailing. In 1997, the Board of Directors fully modernized and remodeled Elroy School and Moore School received two new additional classrooms. The district also built a new academic wing to the front of the 1939 building, and a second gymnasium was placed on the demolished third and fourth floors of the 1972 addition.

St. Sylvester School was established in September 1948, but when it began it was only the large church, lunch room, and four class rooms.

Sites of interest

Businesses

Brentwood has a neighborhood main street (Brownsville Road) with shops like Express Minimart, Spartan Pizza, a hardware store, a barber shop, a martial arts school, an arts and craft school and many other shops that stretch from the southern border of the Pittsburgh to the northern border of Whitehall Borough.

More recently, Brentwood Towne Square was built along Brownsville Road and Route 51. Many shops, restaurants, and offices are located in the square, such as Giant Eagle, Wendy's, a post office, Quiznos, Pizza Hut, EB Games, Italian Oven, Radio Shack, an eye doctor, a dentist, and many others. Not only do Brentwood residents shop at the Towne Square, but residents of Baldwin Borough, Carrick, and Whitehall shop there because of their proximity.

Historic sites

  • The Point View Hotel dates back to 1832. General Andrew Jackson spent a night there before he entered the city, while campaigning for the presidency. General Zachary Taylor stopped for a night as well. President James Buchanan and the Honorable Thaddeus Stevens, a United States Senator stayed on two occasions. Not only did the hotel have many guests who were quite important people, but the basement of hotel was a stop on the Underground Railroad during the 1850s. Despite all the history of this building it was never officially recognized as a historic landmark and was demolished in March 2008. A medical office building is being built on this site.


  • The John F. Slater Funeral Home formerly the White Hall Tavern was another important place in Brentwood’s history. In the earlier days of Brentwood's time, many city dwellers rode stagecoaches on Brownsville Road because this was the only major roadway connecting the cities of Pittsburgh and Brownsville. The White Hall Tavern was just a short walk to the race track which was once on the site of the South Hills Country Club, which is why many people from the city stopped here for relaxation.


  • The Windsor Hotel was opened in 1882. Although there was a fire sixteen years later, it was rebuilt and remained a popular place for vacationers.


  • The Davis Farm House was another historical place in Brentwood’s history, although it was gained by the Borough in 1968. The house and grounds became a senior citizens’ recreation center. Much debate was encountered when it was considered being torn down to build a new firehouse and recreation room. It caused great controversy because the senior citizens’ center was considered a historical landmark, but many people believed that a larger fire house was needed. In the end, the fire house was built in place of the senior citizens’ center.


Recreation facilities

The Brentwood High Schoolmarker Spartans play football, soccer, baseball, and softball, in the local park. Brentwood Borough opened the park and pool on July 4, 1928, but it was not until 1948 that the football stadium, track, four baseball fields, tennis courts, and basketball courts were built.

Library

Brentwood’s public library is located at the center of the Borough on Brownsville Road at the entrance of Brentwood Park. A person can borrow books, movies, puppets, puzzles, magazines, and CDs. There is a children's area and they have many computers for public access to the internet. The library hosts many children's events throughout the year including storytimes and visitations by authors. For adults the library hosts educational classes, informational meetings and book clubs.

The library was founded in 1947 as a project of the Moore School P.T.A. Originally the library was located in the basement of the Moore School. The library then moved to the Brentwood Borough building in the area currently occupied by the Brentwood EMS. On July 4, 1990 the Library moved to the existing facility which was newly built with a main reading room, meeting rooms, and community room.

Public safety

The fire department was organized on December 8, 1915 and then later in 1916, the police department, which was formed only of two men, was developed. In 1977, the EMS was founded.

References

  1. Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days. Comparative Climate Data, National Climatic Data Center. 2002. Last accessed January 11, 2007.
  2. Average Percent Possible Sunshine. Department of Meteorology, 'University of Utah. 1993. Last accessed January 11, 2007.


Bibliography

The Brentwood 1990 Fourth of July Committee. The Borough of Brentwood. 1990. History of Brentwood Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Brentwood: Borough of Brentwood.

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message