The Full Wiki

More info on Brooke Army Medical Center

Brooke Army Medical Center: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC - SAMMC-North) at Fort Sam Houstonmarker, San Antoniomarker is part of the United States Army Medical Command. It is a University of Texas Health Science Center and USUHSmarker teaching hospital and contains the Army Burn Center.

BAMC has a proud and venerable history which dates back to 1879 when the first Post Hospital opened as a small medical dispensary located in a single story wooden building.

During the early years the Post hospital was in temporary structures, and it was not until 1886 that the first permanent hospital was built. In 1907 an 84-bed Station hospital was constructed on the west side of the post. This made the hospital among the nation's most modern.
Folding the US flag at the front of the Brooke Army Medical Center main entrance.
In 1929, Brigadier General Roger Brooke assumed command of the Station Hospital, a position he held until 1933. Brooke is credited with instituting the first routine chest X-ray in military medicine.

In July 1936, the cornerstone was laid for the construction of a replacement Station Hospital. By November 1937, the new 418-bed hospital was operational, having cost $3 million dollars. The new hospital was the first in a series of moves which changed Fort Sam Houstonmarker from an Infantry to a medical Post.

In 1941, BAMC prepared for an overwhelming flow of casualties from World War II battlefields by converting a 220-person enlisted barracks into additional patient wards. This facility would prove instrumental in providing quality, responsive health care to wounded soldiers and would later become BAMC Headquarters. In 1942, the Station Hospital was renamed Brooke General Hospital in Brooke's honor.

In 1944, BAMC converted a Cavalry Battalion barracks into a convalescent unit to accommodate the tremendous flow of casualties from the war. This building later became Beach Pavilion. Beach housed a substantial portion of BAMC assets to include numerous patient wards and specialty clinics.

In 1946, Fort Sam Houstonmarker was chosen as the new site for the U.S. Army Medical Field Service School. The decision to centralize the Army's medical research and training at one location resulted in the re-naming of Brooke General Hospital to Brooke Army Medical Center.

In September 1987, the official groundbreaking took place for the construction of a new hospital. On July 18, 1995, ownership of the replacement hospital was given to the BAMC Commander by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during the key turnover ceremony. On March 14, 1996, the new facility was officially dedicated and on April 13, BAMC opened for business with the successful transfer of inpatients from the "old" BAMC to the "new" BAMC.

The hospital today is a 450-bed JCAHO-accredited facility, expandable to 653 beds in the event of a disaster. Major services include general medical and surgical care, adult and pediatric primary care clinics, 24-hour Emergency department, specialty clinics, clinical services, wellness and prevention services, veterinary care, and environmental health services.

BAMC is a Level I trauma center, the only one in the MEDCOM, and is part of the Great Plains Regional Medical Command (GPRMC).

SAMMC-North (BAMC) Concept

Under BRAC 2005, BAMC will expand its inpatient services as those services are relocated from the 59th Medical Wing, Wilford Hall Medical Center (USAF). The Nuclear Medicine service is one of the first to completely integrate operations, and offers PET/CT, SPECT/CT, and other advanced molecular imaging and therapy services.

To accomplish the consolidation of Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) and Wilford Hall Medical Center (WHMC) as presented in the BRAC 2005 scenario, BAMC will undergo the construction of a consolidated tower, a parking facility, a central energy plant, and substantial renovations within the existing facility.

Consolidated Tower (CoTo)

Construction began in March 2009 on the nearly 738,000 sq. ft. CoTo on the east side of the facility adjacent to the current clinical building and medical mall. This addition will house administrative space, an Outpatient Pediatrics clinic, an expanded Emergency and Trauma department, SICU, CCU and Psychiatric nursing units, as well as an expansion of the existing Pathology Lab. SAMMC-N will serve as a world class health science center for inpatient and ambulatory care, consisting of Graduate Medical Education (GME) & training, a Level 1 Trauma Center, and the only American Burn Association verified Burn Center within the DoD.

Parking Garage

Construction began in March 2009 on a multi-level, 5,000 space parking structure to accommodate the increased capacity at the upgraded medical facility.

Central Energy Plant

Due to the substantial amount of square-footage being added to the BAMC facility, it is necessary to provide additional heating and cooling capacities. A 5,600 sq. ft. central energy plant is currently under construction to accommodate the facility's additional needs.


  • 1870 to 1875 - City of San Antonio donates for an Army post.
  • 1879 - Temporary wooden (board & batten, not log) 12-bed hospital built.
  • 1886 - Permanent, brick 12-bed hospital built to replace the temporary one.
  • 1908 - Station Hospital built to accommodate 84 beds.
  • 1910 - Two wings added to Station Hospital, increasing its capacity by 68 beds.
  • 1912 - An isolation ward and a maternity ward added to Station Hospital.
  • 1936 - Construction begins on new Station Hospital building, on the site of the old Camp Travis Base Hospital.
  • 1938 - New Station Hospital opens with a 418-bed capacity.
  • 1941 to 1945 - Station Hospital expands by converting barracks to hospital wards.
  • 1942 - Station Hospital named Brooke General Hospital.
  • 1942 - Psychiatric Ward built in Old Station Hospital area.
  • 1945 - 15th Field Artillery Barracks become Annex IV, increasing capacity to 7,800 beds.
  • 1946 - The Medical Field Service School (MFSS) is moved to Fort Sam Houston. The medical entities are reorganized and designated Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC).
  • 1959 - Annex IV is designated Beach Pavilion.
  • 1959 - Psychiatric Ward is designated Chambers Pavilion.
  • 1975 - Added to the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing property of the Fort Sam Houston Historic District
  • 1983 - Design authority issued for a facility to replace BAMC's 59 separate buildings.
  • 1985 - Concept design started for the new BAMC.
  • 1992 - Construction of new BAMC starts.
  • 1996 - New BAMC opens.
  • 2001 - Added individually to the National Register of Historic Places
  • 2005 - BRAC 2005 recommends (172 Med 10) the consolidation of Wilford Hall Medical Center (WHMC) and Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio into one medical region with two integrated campuses known as San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC).


"Hospitals At Fort Sam Houston" Fort Sam Houston Museum, 2006, a public domain work of the United States Government.

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address