The Full Wiki

More info on Bulverhythe

Bulverhythe: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

West Marina Redirects here. For the former rail station see St Leonards West Marinamarker or for the current station see West St Leonards Stationmarker.

Bulverhythe also known as West St Leonards, Bo Peep, Filsham, West Marina, or Harley Shute is a suburb of Hastingsmarker, East Sussexmarker, Englandmarker with its Esplanade and 15ft thick sea wall. Bulverhythe is translated as "Burghers' landing place". It used to be under a small headland called Gallows Head, which was washed away by flooding.

Bulverhythe village

Bulverhythe village is located to the southwest of the area. The ancient village had asmall harbour and pier, and is where the remains of the Amsterdammarker can be seen.

Filsham Manor

Filsham Manor was a house on Harley Shute Road dating back to Saxon times. The house was rebuilt in 1682, and part of this remains today.

Gardens

In the east of the area lieWest Marina Gardens which were designed by James Burton and are in between the West St Leonards and Burton's town of St Leonardsmarker. The land was purchased in 1886 and laid out as a pleasure garden by 1891. The site is well-used and includes a bowls green, putting course and formal gardens. It is at the western extreme of the frontline garden displays. Decorative lighting has recently been installed.

Multicoloured huts


Bulverhythe Salts

The Bulverhythe Salts was a site of a racecourse that was moved to the Saxon shoreway.

Shipwrecks

In January 1921 a British tug was towing a German submarine in the English Channelmarker whenit broke adrift in a gale and was washed ashore at Bulverhythe. The U-boat was of a smaller typethan the other that came ashore at Hastings in April 1919. The event was reported in the Hastings Observerwith the headline: "Another Submarine Visitor!"

Three tugs tried to refloat the submarine without success and after the hull was badly damaged by stormy seasit was eventually dismantled.

Another boat that washed up was the Amsterdam that set sail to Javamarker but ended up being washed away at the sandy strip.The remains can still be seen today.

Demography

Main Article: Hastingsmarker

Transportation

Railways

Bulverhythe was only served by a temporary stationmarker until the line extended to West Marinamarker. The line was constructed by the Brighton, Lewes and Hastings Railway and when the South Eastern Railway line came from Londonmarker and tunnelled through to St Leonardsmarker, Hastings and the Marshlink Line, a feud started between the companies. The junction for the two routes, called Bo-Peep junction, was named after a nearby public house, which in turn came from the activities of smugglers and excise men.West Marina is now closed and, although both platforms and lights still remain, West St Leonards stationmarker is the only remaining station in this area.

References

  1. Glover, Judith (1975) The Place Names of Sussex, p. 27, London: B.T. Batsford Ltd. ISBN 0 7134 2853 8
  2. Jewell, Brian (1984) Down the Line to Hastings (1984) Tunbridge Wells, Kent: Baton Press, ISBN 0 85936 223 X



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message