Burrell Collection is an art collection in the
city of Glasgow, in Scotland.
is situated in Pollok Country
on the south side of the city.
The collection was put together over many years by Sir William Burrell
, a wealthy industrialist,
ship owner and art collector who then gifted it to the city of
Glasgow in 1944. The gift was made on the condition that the
collection was to be housed in a building 16 miles
(26 km) from the centre of Glasgow, to show the works to their
greatest advantage, and to avoid the damaging effects of air
pollution at the time. The trustees spent over 20 years trying to
find a suitable 'home' for the collection, one which met all the
criteria set out in the Trust Deed, without success. Eventually,
when The Pollok Estate was gifted to the city in 1967, the Trustees
had certain terms of the deed waived, which allowed the current
site, 3 miles (5 km) from the city centre and within the
city boundaries, to be chosen for the collection.
A competition for design of the museum building in 1971 was delayed
by a postal strike, allowing time for the winning architect
to complete his entry,
designed in collaboration with Brit
. The building is L-shaped in plan and is designed to
house and display the diverse collection, with elements of the
collection such as Romanesque doorways built into the structure, at
the same time giving views out into the park over formal grassed
areas to the south, and into adjacent woodland to the north.
entrance through a 16th century stone archway built into a modern
red sandstone gable leads by a shop and other facilities to a
central courtyard under the glazed roof, adjacent to the
reconstructions of three rooms from the Burrell's home from 1927,
Hutton Castle near Berwick-on-Tweed, showing the wood panelled drawing room, hall, and
dining room with their furnishings.
Galleries on two levels
house the various artefacts, over a basement storage level, and at
the lower level a restaurant gives views to the lawn to the
The museum was opened by the Queen in 1983 
, and was named as Scotland's second
greatest post-war building
(after Gillespie, Kidd & Coia
Peter's Seminary) in a poll of architects by Prospect
The Burrell contains an important collection of medieval art
including stained glass and tapestries, oak furniture, medieval
weapons and armour, Islamic art, artefacts from ancient Egypt and
works by Degas
sculpture and a whole host of other artefacts from around the
world, all collected by one man.
nearest railway station to the Burrell Collection is Pollokshaws
West (approximately 10 minutes walk), with trains to
Central normally operating four times per hour (three times
per hour on Sundays).
Pollok House, administered by the National Trust for Scotland, is
also situated in Pollok Country Park.