Calvary Episcopal Church is
a parish of the Episcopal
Diocese of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that was founded in 1855.
The church rented
space from a German Lutheran Church until a building was
constructed in 1861.Due to Pittsburgh's industrial growth during
the late 1800s, the church acquired a new property in 1904 and
built a Gothic Revival
designed by architect Ralph Adams
. Charles Connick
approximately 70 stained glass
for the church between 1920 to 1939.
In 1921, Calvary Episcopal Church joined with the Westinghouse Electric
to make the first radio
of a church service.
In 2003, Calvary Episcopal Church sued the diocese and Bishops
and Henry Scriven
over actions taken by a special
convention the diocese held after the 2003 General Convention. At
the special convention, the diocese had passed a resolution that
asserted that all property of individual parishes belonged to the
parishes themselves, rather than to the diocese. In the suit,
Calvary claimed that the diocese could not take such an action, as
it violated the Dennis Canon
Eventually, the suit was settled out of court. The final settlement
did not affirm Calvary Church's central contention that diocesan
property was held in trust for the national church, but it created
a process by which the diocese agreed to make decisions about
property and assets should a congregation wish to leave the
- Episcopal property lawsuit filed here.
Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 2003-10-25. Retrieved on