The Full Wiki

More info on Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles): Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

 The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, the only regiment of rifles amongst the Scottishmarker regiments of infantry. It was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms by the amalgamation of two other regiments:


The regiment saw service during the Second Boer War in South Africa, and raised 27 battalions during the First World War. The 1st Battalion saw action in Burmamarker during the Second World War, while the 2nd Battalion was in Europe. The Territorial Force 6th, 7th, and 9th Battalions also served in Europe (the 5th and 6th with the 52nd Division, and the 9th with the 15th Division. In 1948, along with every other regiment of line infantry, the Cameronians was reduced to a single battalion. Under the reforms of the army in the 1966 Defence White Paper, which saw several regiments amalgamated, the Cameronians chose to disband rather than amalgamate with another regiment in the Lowland Brigade. The 1st Battalion, The Cameronians was disbanded on 14 May, 1968 at Douglas Castlemarker, near Douglasmarker, South Lanarkshire in the presence of the Duke of Hamilton. Its recruiting area in Lanarkshiremarker and Dumfries and Galloway taken over by the King's Own Scottish Borderers and the Regimental Headquarters finally closed in 1987. However, the name of the Cameronians continued through the Territorial Army, with two companies of the 52nd Lowland Regiment badged as Cameronians. One company was disbanded in 1992, and the other was rebadged as the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1997.

Traditions

Every new member of the regiment was issued a Bible, as a nod to Richard Cameron, after whom the original 26th Foot was named.

In honour of the regiment's first Colonel, James Douglas, Earl of Angus the tartan was that of the House of Douglas, which was worn as trews by all ranks (except the regiment's pipers, who wore kilts). Until 1914 the regiment wore a unique full dress uniform, comprising a rifle green shako with black upright plume, rifle green doublet and Douglas tartan trews

The regiment's cap badge featured a Mullet from the coat of arms of the Douglas family on a stringed bugle within two sprigs of thistle.

The pipers of the 1st Battalion wore a distinctive badge of the Mullet with a scroll below bearing the name "The Cameronians". The sporrans and dirks of the pipers of the 2nd Battalion carried a reproduction of the coat of arms of the City of Perthmarker

As a regiment of rifles, the Cameronians carried no colours, instead wearing its battle honours on its "appointments" (drums)

The regiment's only Colonel-in-Chief was King Gustaf VI Adolf of Swedenmarker.

The regiment mounted an armed guard at the doors of the Kirk during religious services.

Honours and affiliations

Battle honours

  • Combined battle honours of 26th Regiment and 90th Regiment, plus:
Blenheim1, Ramillies1, Oudenarde1, Malplaquet1, South Africa 1846-72, South Africa 1877-8-92, Relief of Ladysmith, South Africa 1899-1902


1. awarded 1882 for services of 26th Regiment.

2. awarded 1882 for services of 90th Regiment.

The Great War

[27 battalions]
Monsmarker, Le Cateau, Retreat from Mons, Marne 1914 1918, Aisne 1914, La Bassée 1914, Messines 1914, Armentières 1914, Neuve Chapellemarker, Aubers, Loos, Somme 1916 1918, Albert 1916marker, Bazentinmarker, Pozièresmarker, Flers-Courcelettemarker, Le Transloymarker, Ancre Heights, Arras 1917marker 1918, Scarpe 1917 '18, Arleuxmarker, Ypres 1917 '18, Pilckem, Langemarck 1917, Menin Road, Polygon Woodmarker, Passchendaelemarker, St Quentin, Rosières, Avre, Lys, Hazebrouck, Bailleul, Kemmel, Scherpenberg, Soissonnais-Ourcq, Drocourt-Quéant, Hindenburg Line, Épéhy, Canal du Nord, St Quentin Canal, Cambrai 1918, Courtrai, Selle, Sambre


Doiran 1917 1918marker




  • Egypt 1916-17
Rumani


Battle of Gaza, El Mughar, Nebi Samwilmarker, Jaffa


Second World War

  • North-West Europe 1940
Ypres-Comines Canal


  • North-West Europe 1944-45
Odon, Cheuxmarker, Caen, Mont Pincon, Estry, Nederrijn, Best, Scheldt, South Beveland, Walcheren Causeway, Asten, Roer, Rheine, Rhineland, Reichswald, Moyland, Dreierwalde, Bremen, Artlenberg


  • Italy 1943-44
Landing in Sicily, Simeto Bridgehead, Sicily 1943, Garigliano Crossing, Anzio, Advance to Tiber


  • Burma 1942 & 1944
Pegu 1942, Paungde, Yenagyaung 1942, Chindits 1944
Also in Malaysia

Affiliations



Notable former members of the regiment





Museum and Monuments

The Cameronians Museum

The Cameronians Museum is located within the Low Parks Museum, Hamilton, South Lanarkshiremarker, South Lanarkshire.[184135]

Monuments

A cairn commemorating the disbandment of the regiment can be found near Douglas, South Lanarkshiremarker, within a mile of the site of the ceremony. [184136]

Also within the village there is a statue of the Earl of Angus to commemorate the 200 years which had passed since the regiment was raised. [184137]

The monument located in Kelvingrove Parkmarker, Glasgowmarker by Philip Lindsey Clark, was unveiled on 9 August, 1924 and depicts men of the regiment manning a Lewis gun.[184138][184139]

Memorials

There is a memorial on Spion Kop listing the names of those who died during the Battle of Spion Kopmarker in the Second Boer War.

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message