The Full Wiki

More info on Canfranc

Canfranc: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Canfranc Estacion in autumn.
Canfranc is a municipality in the Aragón Valley of north-eastern Spain consisting of two towns.

Political Information

Canfranc (Pueblo)

The name of the village is from Campus Franci, literally the field of foreigners. It was originally a small market village, as well as providing pilgrims on the Arles route of the Way of St. James their first respite after the difficult crossing of the Pyreneesmarker over the pass of Somportmarker.

It was founded between 1080–90 by Sancho Ramírez, King of Aragón. Canfranc was also a command post, protecting the borders and controlling taxes, which were donated to the Cathedral of Jacamarker.

On 29 October 1288, the treaty of Canfranc mediated by Edward I of England was signed here, providing for the release of Charles II of Naples from his imprisonment by Peter III of Aragon.

The village, which lies in the valley of the Aragón River covers an area of 71,6 km² and is situated at an altitude of 1040 m. The remains to be seen include a Romanesque pilgrim's bridge and two churches of interest: Nuestra Señora de la Asunción (12th-16th c) with four Baroque retablos, and la Trinidad (16th century). The town was obliterated by fire in 1617 and again in 1944, after which the villagers for the most part moved to nearby Canfranc Estación. The current population is 77.

Canfranc Estación

This small village (altitude 1190 m.) was largely created due to the inauguration of a railroad crossing the Pyrenees on 18 July 1928. The trains continued running until an international train accident destroyed the bridge at nearby L'Estanguet and severed the link on March 27, 1970. Canfranc Estación is most well known due to the rumours of "German gold" arriving here during World War II (see external link below).Also, British espionage smuggled information and people from Vichy France to the consulate in San Sebastiánmarker through Canfranc since the nearer Irúnmarker bordered with occupied France.The train station is the highlight of the village and was used during the filming of Doctor Zhivago. There has been talk for some time of reopening international train traffic between France and Spain, but until that time the area is profiting from its nearness to the ski resorts of Candanchúmarker and Astúnmarker. The current population is 454.

The tunnel is being used for the Laboratorio subterráneo de Canfranc (Canfranc underground laboratory).

Principal Festivities

Canfranc-Pueblo celebrates the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (its Patron saint) on the 15th August, while Canfranc Estación holds festivities on the anniversary of the inauguration of its train station, the 18th July.

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address