Capitol at Williamsburg, Virginia was the first Capitol building in America in
1705. A reconstructed version is a centerpiece of
The restored Capitol Building, circa 1941
Original building 1705-1780
The building was completed in 1705, it burned in 1747, and was
rebuilt. The Capitol and the Governor's Palace
were the center of the
political and social life of Virginia for most of the 18th century.
Members of the House of Burgesses
which met in the Capitol included Patrick
, George Washington
, and Thomas Jefferson
capital of Virginia was moved to Richmond in 1780 at the beginning of the American Revolution, the old Capitol was
used by British forces.
After the Battle of Yorktown
, and the surrender of
, it fell into
disrepair and was dismantled for its materials.
Restoration: Colonial Williamsburg
Early in the 20th century, the Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin
undertook restoration of historic Bruton Parish Church (circa 1711) where he was rector.
of restoring other buildings of the old colonial capital city led
to his affiliation with Standard Oil
heir and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr. and the creation of
Williamsburg. The reconstructed Capitol and Governor's Palace join the Wren Building of the College of William and Mary as the three main structures of the
main article Colonial Williamsburg.