Carrick Knowe is a suburb in
the West of Edinburgh in Scotland, located
approximately 3 miles from the city centre.
It is bordered
by Tyler's Acre to the North, the Glasgow railway line to the
South, golf course to the East, and Saughton Road North to the
West. The catchment area for the primary school encompasses this
entire area. It is often considered part of Corstorphine, however it has its own shopping area, primary
school, parish church and public park.
Carrick Knowe was mainly built in 1936, with a mix between private
rent (McTaggart & Meikle) houses, and council tenants. The rise
in tenants exercising their Right to
has ensured that relatively few renters or tenants remain.
Property being sold in the area is frequently described as being in
Corstorphine, this trading on the higher average house price in
Corstorphine postcodes than in Carrick Knowe given differences in
quality of accommodation.
Carrick Knowe also has its own municipal golf course. There are two
golf clubs that play over the course, Carrick Knowe and Carrickvale
Church on Saughton Road North (Church of Scotland) opened in November 1937 and has had only three
ministers in its first seventy years
The local shops for Carrick Knowe are located in Saughton Road
North at two points: the first set of shops are just outside
Carrick Knowe Parkway and Carrick knowe Road. The shops at this
point include RSMcolls, a chemist, Ross Young's Barber Shop and a
grocery. The other shops are located opposite Carrick Knowe Park
and include a bakery, Ferry Good Food, a Spar, Gino's Fish and
Chips (replaced The Happy Palace), the local pub (Carrick Knowe
Inn), a hairdresser, Invasion (Windows & Doors) and Mohammed's