The Full Wiki

More info on Cervignano del Friuli

Cervignano del Friuli: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



A plane view of Cervignano and Terzo di Aquileia; the Alps in the background
Cervignano del Friuli ( or locally , ) is a comune in the province of Udine, Italymarker. the most important town of Bassa Friulana. It lies at about 12 km from the Laguna di Grado and at about 18 km from the Adriatic Seamarker; from the point of view of viability, its position is peculiar since it lies at the junction of the SS14, linking Venicemarker to Triestemarker, and the SS352, linking Udinemarker to Gradomarker. Nevertheless, it is in Cervignano that the railroad from Austria, passing through Tarvisiomarker and Udine, ends, and is linked to the one from Venice to Trieste.

History

Cervignano was born with the foundation of Aquileiamarker in 181 B.C. by the Romans Lucio Manlio Acidino, Publio Scipione Nasica and Caio Flaminio, sent from Rome to defeat the barbarians menacing the Eastern borders of Italy. As usual, the territory near Aquileia was populated, in order to establish a settlement in the area.

Some documents of 912 read about Cerveniana or Cirvignanum: the name comes from the name of an ancient Roman family, Cervenius or Cervonius, with the suffix -anus to mean the ownership of the land where Cervignano was born. The name, however, was wrongly linked to the Latin word cervus (or to the Italian cervo), meaning "deer", and making imagine a large wood populated by deers; for that reason, a deer can be seen in the left section of the borough shield. The right section of the shield is an anchor, a reference to the ancient harbour on the Ausa river, relevant for the economic life of the town.

During the 11th century an abbey for the Order of Saint Benedict was built. It was dedicated to Saint Michael Archangel and it was controlled by the monastery of Aquileia and by the earl of Goriziamarker. In 1420 Cervignano was conquered by Venice and in 1521 returned to the County of Gorizia with the Worms Treaty. In 1615 was conquered by Venice during the War of Gradisca but it was for a very short period. From the Italian Unification to the World War I the Ausa river spotted the border between the Reign of Italy and the Austrian Empiremarker. The town became Italian on May 24 1915.

In 1926 the municipality became a part of the Province of Udine, along with several Municipalities of the area, and today still belongs to it.


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message