Chalvey was a village but is
now a suburb in the unitary
authority of Slough in Berkshire, England.
It was first recorded in 1217 as Cealf
, an Old English
word meaning "Calf Island". As the name implies, Chalvey lies low
on the plain of the River Thames
there may have been enough of a rise for an island to stand above
from which the later
town now takes its name.
never formed a parish of its own, being
twinned with Upton in the
parish of Upton-cum-Chalvey.
As Slough developed, Chalvey developed as a working class community
of small terraced houses. Non-conformist
churches were established
starting with the Congregationalists
in 1806. The area
has now developed into a mainly Islamic Community.
In 1849, the Slough to
was built, passing through the middle of
Chalvey. A halt
was opened by the Great Western Railway
in 1929 but
closed the following year.
At some point between 1850 and 1880, a local legend developed about
the "Chalvey Stab Monkey" involving an organ grinder
and a stabbed monkey; the first
person to get blind drunk on the anniversary of the monkey's
funeral is declared "Mayor of Chalvey". Traditionally, residents of
Chalvey have been known as stab-monks
A long standing local joke suggests that Chalvey's main industry is
in the Treacle Mines. On occasion, this has been taken to be a
reference to the local sewage works.
It was stated on the Immigration - How We Lost Count edition of the
BBC1 documentary Panorama
on 23 July 2007,
that Chalvey is severely overcrowded, and that most of its
residents are immigrants
and ethnic minorities
. The first Sikhs came in
the early 1960s and now form the largest section of the immigrant
- p37, The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation
- p 53, Around Slough in Old Photographs, Judith Hunter and Karen
Hunter, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1992
- p40, The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation
- p58, The Changing Face of Slough, Slough Museum, Breedon Books,