The Full Wiki

More info on Chantiers de l'Atlantique

Chantiers de l'Atlantique: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Chantiers de l'Atlantique is part of the South Koreanmarker STX Shipbuilding Group and one of the world's largest shipyards, based in Saint-Nazairemarker, Francemarker. It was created in 1861 by Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, but since 1984 has been owned by Alstom then STX Europe, a subsidiary of STX Shipbuilding, since 2006.

The largest ocean liner, also the largest cruise ship until the 2006 launch of , the RMS Queen Mary 2, was completed at the shipyard in late 2003 and delivered to Cunard Line in January 2004.

Its location near Nantesmarker, Francemarker, at the mouth of the Loire and the deep waters of the Atlantic makes sailing large ships in and out easier.

History

The yard started by building ships for the French transatlantic line Compagnie Générale Transatlantique. In 1961, it built the trans-Atlantic superliner , then the world's longest passenger vessel.

After the construction of the last Compagnie Générale Transatlantique liner and the closure of the Suez Canalmarker, the yard began building large tankers, including Batillus, Bellamya, Pierre Guillaumat and Prairial. A new dry dock (Basin C) was planned for the construction of tankers over 1,000,000 tonnes but this fell through with the re-opening of the Suez Canal.

de l'Atlantique delivered the luxury cruise ship, Crystal Serenity of Crystal Cruises in July 2003.

The yard built the giant superliner RMS Queen Mary 2 for the Cunard Line in 2003. Shortly after construction a gangway connecting the ship to the dry dock collapsed killing 16 people.

Aker Yards and Alstom announced on 4 January 2006 their intention to join forces in shipbuilding and create together one of the world leaders in this industry, focused on high-value-added ships, including world-class cruise ships .

The parties plan to establish a new company consisting of the shipyards in Saint-Nazaire and Lorient. Aker Yards would own 75% of this new company and Alstom would commit itself to keep the remaining 25% until 2010. The transaction would enable continuity in management and the actions taken as part of the “Marine 2010“ performance improvement and cost reduction programme already under implementation in Alstom Marine.

See also

Ships built

Ships built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique include:

  • Sans Souci class 4 sloops, designed as seaplane tenders, but built as escorts, all launched in 1940
  • , launched in 1961, the world's longest passenger ship of the time
  • , Entered service in 1935, world's largest ship until Cunard's Queen Elizabeth, held Blue Riband. Capsized in New York Harbor, 1942. Scrapped in NJ, 1946.
  • Batillus class supertankers, 4 ships launched 1976-9
  • MS Dreamward, Entered service in 1992.
  • MS Windward, Entered service in 1993.
  • Crystal Serenity, Entered service in 2003
  • Queen Mary 2, floated in 2003, At the time of her construction, the QM2 was the longest, widest and tallest passenger ship ever built, and at 148,528 gross tons, was also the largest.
  • GTS Millennium built in 2000 and run by Celebrity Cruises.
  • Seven Seas Mariner launched in 2001 and operated by Regent Seven Seas Cruises (formerly Radisson Seven Seas Cruises). This is the world's first all balcony luxury cruise ship.
  • Part of MS Baltic Princess launched in 2008.


References

  1. [1]


External links




Embed code: at The Full Wiki'>
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message