Charlotte Square is a
city square in Edinburgh, Scotland, part of the
Town, designated a UNESCO World Heritage
Charlotte Square was the last part of the initial
phase of the New Town to be completed in 1820. Much of it was the
design of Robert Adam
, who died in 1792
just as building began.
Square is located at the west end of George
Street, intended to mirror St. Andrews Square in the east.
Initially named St. George's Square in James
's original plan, it was renamed before completion after
King George III
Queen and first daughter, to avoid confusion with George Square, in
the south of the city. The memorial in the centre of the garden
commemorates Prince Albert
consort of Queen
, and features an equestrian statue of the prince by
Sir John Steell
. It was unveiled by
Queen Victoria herself.
For the last three weeks in August each year Charlotte Square
gardens are the site of the Edinburgh International
Nos. 5, 6 and 7 are now owned by the National Trust for Scotland
along with No. 28 which are their new headquarters. No. 5 was the
home of John Crichton-Stuart, the 4th
Marquess of Bute
, who bought it in 1903 and gave it to the
Trust on his death. It was the Trust headquarters from 1949 to
2000. Bute did much to promote the preservation of the Square. It
is now the headquarters of the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust.
House is the official residence of the First Minister of
No. 7 is the Georgian House, internally restored by the Trust in
1975 to its original state and open to the public. The upper floor
was formerly the official residence of the Moderator
of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
Register House, formerly St. George's Church, forms the centre of
the west side.
, the surgeon, lived at No.9
and his son-in-law Joseph Lister
, lived there
from 1870-1877. No. 13 was home to Sir William Fettes and No.
14 the house of Whig
lawyer, historian and
conservationist Lord Cockburn
, was born at No.17
and another soldier, Field
Marshal Earl Haig
, was born at No. 24. Robert Reid
designed No. 44 as his
own home. Pioneer of the telephone, Alexander Graham Bell
, was born in
nearby South Charlotte Street. Number 38 is now home to The
Roxburghe Hotel and has recently undertaken the first steps of a
£7.5 million refurbishment.