The Full Wiki

More info on Chelsea Physic Garden

Chelsea Physic Garden: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The garden in summer 2006.
The garden with the house visible in the background.


The Chelsea Physic Garden was established as the Apothecaries’ Garden in Londonmarker, Englandmarker in 1673. (The word ‘Physic’ here refers to the science of healing.) It is the second oldest botanical garden in Britainmarker, after the University of Oxford Botanic Gardenmarker, which was founded in 1621.

Its rock gardenmarker is the oldest English garden devoted to alpine plants. The largest fruiting olive tree in Britain is there, protected by the garden’s heat-trapping high brick walls, along with what is doubtless the world’s northernmost grapefruit growing outdoors. Jealously guarded during the tenure of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries, in 1983 the Garden became a registered charity and was opened to the general public for the first time. The garden is a member of the London Museums of Health & Medicine.

History

The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries initially established the garden on a leased site of Sir John Danvers’ well-established garden in Chelsea, Londonmarker. This house, called Danvers House, adjoined the mansion that had once been the house of Sir Thomas More. Danvers House was pulled down in 1696 to make room for Danvers Street.

In 1713, Dr Hans Sloane purchased from Charles Cheyne the adjacent Manor of Chelseamarker, about , which he leased in 1722 to the Society of Apothecaries for £5 a year in perpetuity, requiring only that the Garden supply the Royal Society, of which he was a principal, with 50 good herbarium samples per year, up to a total of 2,000 plants.

That initiated the golden age of the Chelsea Physic Garden under the direction of Philip Miller (1722–1770), when it became the world’s most richly stocked botanic garden. Its seed-exchange program was established following a visit in 1682 from Prof. Herman, a Dutchmarker botanist connected with the Leiden Botanical Gardenmarker and has lasted till the present day. The seed exchange program’s most notable act may have been the introduction of cotton into the colony of Georgiamarker and more recently, the worldwide spread of the Madagascar Periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus).

Isaac Rand, a member and a fellow of the Royal Society published a condensed catalogue of the Garden in 1730, Index plantarum officinalium, quas ad materiae medicae scientiam promovendam, in horto Chelseiano. Elizabeth Blackwell’s A Curious Herbal (1737–1739) was illustrated partly from specimens taken from the Chelsea Physic Garden.

Parts of this classic garden have been lost to 'development' - the river bank during 1874 construction of the Chelsea Embankmentmarker on the north bank of the River Thames, and a strip of the garden to allow widening of Royal Hospital Roadmarker. What remains is a patch in the heart of Londonmarker.

References



External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message