Church of St. Elisabeth ( , ), commonly known as
Blue Church (Modrý kostolík, Kék
templom), is an Hungarian
Secessionist (Jugendstil) Catholic church located in the
eastern part of the Old Town in Bratislava, Slovakia.
consecrated to Elisabeth of
Hungary, daughter of Andrew
II, who grew up in the Pressburg Castle (pozsonyi vár).
The Blue Church
It is called "Blue
Church" because of the colour of its façade
and blue-glazed roof.
The one-nave church was built in 1907-1908, four years after the
plans of Ödön Lechner
build a church in the Hungarian Art
style. The so-called Hungarian secessionist style forms
dominate in the church. Lechner also drew plans of a neighbouring
grammar school and of the vicarage.
The ground floor of the church is oval. In the foreground there is
a 36.8 metre high cylindrical church tower. At first, a cupola
was planned, but was never constructed;
instead, a barrel vault
topped by a hip roof
. The roof is covered
with glazed bricks with decoration, for the purpose of
The main and side entrances are enclosed with Romanesque
have an Oriental feeling. Pillars are also located near the
The façade was at first painted with light pastel
colours. Later the church got its
characteristic blue colour. A line of blue tiles and wave-strip
encircles the church.
The interior is richly decorated with altarpieces
. On the altar
there is an illustration of St. Elisabeth, depicted giving out
abilities to the beggars and poor.
A model of
the church is in Mini-Europe in Brussels,