The Full Wiki

More info on Communards' Wall

Communards' Wall: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Communards' Wall at the Père Lachaise cemetery

The Communards’ Wall (F.: Mur des Fédérés) at the Père Lachaisemarker cemetery is where, on 28 May 1871, one-hundred forty-seven fédérés, combatants of the Paris Commune, were shot and thrown in an open trench at the foot of the wall.To the Frenchmarker left, especially socialists and communists, the wall became the symbol of the people’s struggle for their liberty and ideals. Many leaders of the French Communist Party, especially those involved in the French resistance, are buried nearby.

The Père Lachaise cemetery was established in May 1804 on a land owned by the Jesuits for centuries, and where Père ("Father") Lachaise, confessor of Louis XIV, lived the latter part of his life. Cemetery of the aristocracy in the 19th century, it also received the remains of famous people from previous eras. During the spring of 1871 the last of the combatants of the Commune entrenched themselves in the cemetery. The Armée versaillaise, which was summoned to suppress the Commune, had control over the area towards the end of the afternoon of 28 May, and shot all of the prisoners against the wall.

The massacre of the Communards did not put an end to the repression. During the fighting between 20,000 and 35,000 deaths, and more than 43,000 prisoners were taken; afterwards, a military court pronounced about a hundred death sentences, more than 13,000 prison sentences, and close to 4,000 deportations to New Caledoniamarker.

Monument in memory of the Communards shot at the Communards' Wall

The memory of the Commune remained engraved in the people's memory, especially within the workers' movement which regenerated itself in a few years time. The first march before the Wall, at the call of Jules Guesde, took place in 23 May 1880, two months before the Communards' Amnesty: 25,000 people, a symbolic "immortal" red rose in their buttonholes, stood up against police forces. From that time on, this "ascent to the Wall", punctuated French labor force political history. Every year since 1880, the organizations of the French left have held a demonstration in this symbolic place during the last week of May. Jean Jaurès -- although a child in the provinces at the time of the Commune, hence with no direct memory -- made the ascent several times, accompanied by Edouard Vaillant, Jean Allemane, and by thousands of socialist, syndicalist, and anarchist militants.

The record-breaking demonstration took place in 24 May 1936: 600,000 people, led by Léon Blum and Maurice Thorez, right in the middle of the strikers movement, several weeks after the start of the Popular Front.

"Tombe sans croix et sans chapelle, sans lys d'or, sans vitraux d'azur, quand le peuple en parle, il l'appelle le Mur."
- Joules Jouy
"Tomb without a cross or chapel, or golden lilies, or sky blue church windows, when the people talk about it, they call it The Wall."
- Joules Jouy

See also

Embed code: at The Full Wiki'>

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address