Cossipore ( ) (also spelt
Cossipur, Kashipur) is a neighbourhood in north Kolkata, earlier
known as Calcutta, in the Indian state of West Bengal.
- : See Kashipur for disambiguation
One of the old neighbourhoods of the
metropolis, it has a police station and is an assembly constituency
The British East India
purchased thirty-eight villages in 1717 and added them
to their property at Calcutta. They later reconstituted them as
fifty-five villages or mouzas (panchannogram
was one of those villages. H.
writes, “The Cossipore Reach
was one of the finest on the river, and is lined by a number of
villa residences.” From those days Cossipore had a number of
industrial units. – the Government Gun Foundry, the Snider and
Rifle Shell factories (originally constructed by Colonel
Hutchinson), sugar mills and jute screw houses.
Entally, Manicktala, Beliaghata, Ultadanga, Chitpur, Cossipore, parts of Beniapukur, Ballygunge, Watganj and Ekbalpur, and parts of Garden Reach
and Tollygunj were added to Kolkata Municipal Corporation in
Ward No. 1
of Kolkata Municipal
Corporation covering Cossipore has Baranagore on the north, Sinthee on the east, Paikpara on the
south-east, Chitpur on the south and the
River on the west.
Cossipore has three ghats on
the Hooghly – Pramanick Ghat, Ramakrishna Mahasashan and Ratan Babu
Cossipore police station area spread over ward nos. 1 (Cossipore)
and 2 (Sinthee) of Kolkata
had a total population of 96,043 in the
2001 census, of which 51,401 were males and 44,642 were females.
The area recorded a negative decadal growth. Part of ward no. 6
) is under Cossipore police
Gun and Shell Factory
The more than two centuries old Gun and Shell Factory at Cossipore
is the oldest surviving factory in the Indian subcontinent. It was
set up in 1802 and functions under the Ordnance Factory Board.
Along with technological evolution, the plant has successfully
altered its product mix to suit the requirements of changing times.
The plant has recently undergone large scale modernisation.Its
product-mix ranges from big barrel guns to small barrel pistols,
different varieties of shells and fuses and civil trade
It started off as Gun Carriage Agency, but after shifting of the
agency first to Allahabad in 1814, and then to Fatehgarh in 1816,
its importance was diminished. Finally in 1829, all the machines
were shifted to Fatehgarh. However, it had the strength of
springing back to life again and again. The vacant space was
utilised for the much-needed expansion and renovation of the Gun
Factory of Fort William. Besides casting of brass guns, it also
took up manufacture of iron shot and shells.
Around 1855, breech-loading steel rifled guns had got its way to
the British arsenal, but the Cossipore plant was not properly
equipped to undertake manufacturing of such guns. The mini-bullet
factory was transferred to Dumdum. It had little work and there
were suggestions for its closure but it survived. The rifled guns,
imported from England, required new elongated shells. It was
decided that Cossipore would be utilised for manufacturing of the
new shells. It underwent some expansion and the name ‘Gun Foundry’
was changed to ‘Foundry and Shell Factory’ in 1872. Along with the
manufacturing of new elongated shell, there was requirement of
undertaking manufacturing of modern fuses and cartridges to match
the newly introduced breech-loading guns. So further expansion took
place in 1887 and 1890.
In 1892, steel was, for the first time cast in India, at Cossipore
by a Siemen’s Martin Open Hearth Plant. In 1896, a rolling mill was
erected. However, the metallurgical units were shifted to Ishapore
in 1903 as no further space for expansion was available at
Cossipore. In 1890, a shop was erected for the manufacture and
repair of fittings of imported breech-loading guns. The plant
undertook the manufacture of quick-firing guns in 1905. With the
return of the manufacturing of guns, the name of Cossipore unit got
the present name of ‘Gun and Shell Factory’ in 1905.
Tarak Bandopadhyay representing AITC
defeated Salil Chatterjee
in the 2006 state assembly elections,
and Bijoy Bhattacharjee of CPI(M) in the 2001 elections. In 1996,
Tarak Bandopadhyay representing INC
defeated Anup Das of CPI(M).
Dipak Chanda of CPI(M) defeated Prafulla Kanti Ghosh of INC in 1991
and 1987. In 1982, Prafulla Kanti Ghosh of INC defeated Buddhadeb Bhattacharya
of CPI(M). In
1977, Buddhadeb Bhattacharya of CPI(M) defeated Prafulla Kanti
Ghosh of INC.
The Cossipore seat was won by Prafulla Kanti Ghosh of INC in 1972
and 1971, Vishnu Gopal Basu of CPI(M) in 1969, S.K.Paul of INC in
1967, Sunil Kumar Dasgupta of INC in 1962, Deben Sen of PSP
in 1957, and Biswanath Roy of INC
in independent India’s first general election in 1951.
Cossipore assembly constituency is part of Calcutta North
As per orders of Delimitation Commission, Belgachia
east, Belgachia west and
Cossipore assembly constituencies were abolished and a new
constituency formed – Kashipur Belgachia. It covers ward nos. 1-6
of Kolkata Muicipal Corporation.
The branch of the Ramakrishna Math
at Cossipore is popular as Udyanbati. This garden house was
sanctified by Ramakrishna
's stay with
his disciples during the last few months of his life, as also by
his mahasamadhi. It was made a branch of Ramakrishna Math in 1946.
Kalpataru Utsab is organised in January.
- Cotton, H.E.A., Calcutta Old and New, 1909/1980, p.
221, General Printers and Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Bagchi, Amiya Kumar, Wealth and Work in Calcutta,
1860-1921, in Calcutta, the Living City, Vol. I,
edited by Sukanta Chaudhuri, p. 213, Oxford
University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-563696-3.
- Detail Maps of 141 Wards of Kolkata, D.R.Publication and Sales
Concern, 66 College Street, Kolkata – 700073