County of the City of Coventry was a former
English county, (officially a
County corporate) which existed
between 1451 and 1842.
covered an area of around and contained the city of Coventry and the
surrounding villages of Ansty, Asthull, Biggin, Binley, Caludon, Exhall, Foleshill, Harnell, Horwell, Radford, Stoke, Styvechale, Walsgrave, Wood End and Wyken.
was originally a part of the county of Warwickshire.
However during the medieval
period Coventry became an important city
in its own right.
King Henry VI
the status of a county in itself, largely to reward the city for
the support it had given him. This county status enabled Coventry
to control its own assize
and gaol, and
the city's bailiffs became sheriffs
officers to the king. Coventry remained a separate county until
disputes over ratings with the villages which formed the county
resulted in its abolition by the Coventry Act 1842 (5 & 6 Vict.
c.110). The Act provided that from November
the City and County of the City
of Coventry shall... be taken to be in all respects Part of the
County of Warwick , and within the Hundred of Knightlow
well as re-merging Coventry with Warwickshire, the legislation
resolved the Doubts which now prevail respecting the Boundary
of the said City
, by firmly setting the municipal
The county covered an area similar to that covered by the modern
city. Apart from Ansty and Exhall, all of the
places which formed part of the county are now within the city
- The Creation of the County of the City,
'The City of Coventry: Local government and public services: Local
government to 1451', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 8:
The City of Coventry and Borough of Warwick (1969), pp. 256–263,
(British History Online) accessed 26 November 2007.
- McGrory, David (1993). Coventry: History and Guide,
pp. 42–43, 89. Dover, N.H.: A. Sutton. ISBN 0-7509-0194-2.