The Full Wiki

More info on Deane, Greater Manchester

Deane, Greater Manchester: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Deane is an area of Boltonmarker, in Greater Manchestermarker, England. It is around to the northwest of the city of Manchestermarker.

Historically a part of Lancashiremarker, the Parish of Deane was once a parish within the hundred of Salfordmarker and covered roughly half of the present Metropolitan Borough of Boltonmarker.

History

Toponymy

Deane's name comes from the Old English word "denu" - meaning valley. In earlier times Deane was written without the final "e".

Early history

Since Anglo-Saxon times there's been a chapel in Deane, and the earliest record of a Chapel of ease in Deane was in the year 1100. This Chapel of Ease was dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and because it was within Deane the name of St. Mariden (i.e. St. Mary's, Deane) was once given to it.

Deane was once a chapelry in the great ancient Parish of Ecclesmarker, but eventually Deane became a Parish in its own right. The present Parish Church was built in 1452 on the site of the original chapel. The stream running in the valley to the west of the present church took its Saxon name of Kirkbroke - meaning Church Brook.

The Heatons were an important family in the Deane area. They date back to the 12th Century and originated from around Ulverston in north Lancashire. From the 14th century some of the Heaton family held land in Heaton-under-the forest (or Heaton-under-Horwich) in the parish of Deane. This family lived in Heaton Old Hall and built Heaton New Hall. From this family they gave their surname to Deane's township of Heaton.

Protestant martyr George Marsh, a farmer's son, was born in Deane in 1515. When Edward VI became King in 1547, Marsh's study of the New Testament led to his appointment as a preaching minister. When Edward VI died in 1553, his half-sister Mary I became Queen. She sought to re-establish Roman Catholicism, Marsh became victim to her persecution of the reformers. He appeared before Justice Barton at Smithills Hallmarker accused of preaching false doctrines. However he made a stand for his beliefs, he was tried and convicted. He was imprisoned at Chestermarker and finally burnt at the stake April 24th 1555.

Parish

The Parish of Deane was in the Hundred of Salfordmarker of Lancashiremarker and was extremely large; subdivided into townships for ease of administration in 1660. The ten townships of the Parish of Deane were Horwichmarker, Halliwellmarker, Heatonmarker, Rumworth (where Deane Parish Church is situated), Westhoughtonmarker, Over Hulton, Middle Hulton, Little Hultonmarker, Farnworthmarker and Kearsleymarker.

In 1837 the whole of the Parish of Deane came under the "Bolton Poor Law Union". In the 19th century many of Deane's townships broke away and became independent civil parishes or were merged into Bolton Borough.

Contrary to some statements the Parish of Deane was never a township or a village. Deane was a Parish containing many hamlets, villages and townships. Today it would seem odd if people living in Horwichmarker, Farnworthmarker, Westhoughtonmarker or Halliwellmarker were to be described as "of Deane", but until the 19th century it would have been quite correct.

In 1872 part of Rumworth township became part of Bolton Borough, the remainder of Rumworth (which included Deane Parish Church) was renamed in 1894 as Deane township and in 1898 it too was merged as a part of the County Borough of Boltonmarker.

References

  1. Billington, W.D. (1982). From Affetside to Yarrow : Bolton place names and their history, Ross Anderson Publications (ISBN 0-86360-003-4).
  2. Billington, W.D. (1982). From Affetside to Yarrow : Bolton place names and their history, Ross Anderson Publications (ISBN 0-86360-003-4).
  3. Billington, W.D. (1982). From Affetside to Yarrow : Bolton place names and their history, Ross Anderson Publications (ISBN 0-86360-003-4).
  4. Billington, W.D. (1982). From Affetside to Yarrow : Bolton place names and their history, Ross Anderson Publications (ISBN 0-86360-003-4).


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message