The Full Wiki

More info on Denbighshire (historic)

Denbighshire (historic): Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Denbighshire ( ) is one of thirteen historic counties of Wales, and a former administrative county, which covered an area in north-east Walesmarker. It was a maritime county, bounded to the north by the Irish Seamarker, to the east by Flintshiremarker, Cheshiremarker and Shropshiremarker, to the south by Montgomeryshiremarker and Merionethshiremarker, and to the west by Caernarfonshire.

Under the Local Government Act 1972, the use of Denbighshire for local government and ceremonial purposes ended on April 1, 1974, with the creation of the new county of Clwyd. The present county of Denbighshire was created on April 1, 1996, covering a substantially different area.

History

Denbighshire was created by the Laws in Wales Acts 1535-1542 from areas previously in the Marches. It was formed from Cantrefi taken as follows;

From Gwyneddmarker:



From Powys Fadogmarker:



Geography

In the south and west of the county, the mountains of the Clwydian Range rise from 1000 to high. The east is hilly. There is some level ground along the coastal strip. The highest points are Moel Sych and Cader Berwyn at . Pistyll-y-Rhaeadermarker is a spectacular waterfall. The chief rivers are the Clwydmarker and the Dee. The River Conwymarker runs north along the western boundary.

The main towns in the area today are Rhylmarker, Denbighmarker, Llangollenmarker, Llanrwstmarker, and Ruthinmarker. The most important industries are agriculture and tourism.

Places of special interest



Municipal reform

An administrative county of Denbighshire was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888. The county was governed by an elected county council, who took over the functions of the Quarter Sessions courts.

The administrative county was subdivided into municipal boroughs and urban and rural districts.



Two civil parishes: Llaneilian yn Rhos and Llansanffraid Glan Conway were administered as part of Conway Rural District in the neighbouring county of Carnarvonshire. This area was sometimes called Glan Conway Rural District.

In 1935 the rural districts were reorganised by a County Review Order, and reduced to five in number: Aledmarker, Ceiriog, Hiraethog, Ruthin and Wrexham.

The administrative county was abolished in 1974, with most of the former county becoming part of Clwyd. The urban district of Llanrwst and five rural parishes were included in Gwyneddmarker.

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message