The mast in 1940
was a 500
kilowatt long-wave transmitter at Herzberg/Elster
, which was in service from 1939 to 1945. It used a
337 metre high guyed steel lattice mast of triangular cross
section. This was used as a mast radiator and was therefore mounted
on a 0.75 metre high steatite insulator. At the top of the mast
there was a lens-like structure with a diameter of 25 metres and a
height of 4 metres.The mast of Deutschlandsender Herzberg/Elster
was the tallest construction in Europe and the second tallest in
Because the mast was under high voltage during transmission, the
aircraft warning lighting
was realized in a very unconventional manner. On small poles near
the mast multiple rotating skybeamers were mounted which
illuminated the lens-like structure on the top.
It was planned to expand the facility to a circle group antenna.
Therefore ten 275 metre tall masts should be built on a circle with
a diametre of 1425 metres around the central mast. On the location
of the planned mast 9 in 1944 construction of a backup antenna in
form of a triangle antenna, carried by 3 150 metre tall masts,
forming a triangle with 210 metre sidelength started.This antenna
could not be completed as a result of the war.
In April 1945 the transmitter was destroyed by Allied bombing. The
mast was not damaged, but it was dismantled by the Russian army
between July 1946 and December 23rd, 1947. Also the other parts of
the facility were dismantled. In 1959 a waterwork was build on the
former station area. Nevertheless, there are still some remnants of
the base of the mast.