Devakottai [தேவகோட்டை]is a
town and a municipality in Sivaganga
district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
Devakottai is one of the biggest
cities of the nagarathar
தேவகோட்டை is the principal residence of Nattukkottai chettiars,
they came from Kaviripoom Pattinam in Nagapattinam district few
centuries ago. Near Kaviripoom Pattinam there was a place called
Devakottai and the immigrants named this place also as "Devakottai"
in remembrance of descendant and their nativity. The Tamil meaning
of "Devi" is Goddess and fort is "Kottai". The name “Devikottai"
which in course of time was became "Devakottai"
Devakottai is noted for its literature, shaivite
temple buildings, publishing, judiciary
and politics. The town was important during the Indian independence movement
The municipal court
was burned to ground during the Quit
and the town suffered punitive fines and some
citizens served prison terms.
Today Devakottai is a favoured site for movie shootings, mainly
because of its palatial bungalows.
Mahatma Gandhi visited Devakottai in 1934 to condole with the death
of Poochi, a Dalit
, in the movement against
untouchability, and held discussions with Dalits and Nattars
, who were opposed to Dalits wearing
shirts.The 75th aaniversaryof the Mahatma's visit was celebrated at
the site where he stayed- Saraswathi vasaka salai- in January
Karmaveerar Kamarajar, Perarignar Anna Durai and Kalaignar
Karunanidhi have visited Devakottai on many occasions.
first half of the 20th century, the temples of Rameswaram, Kalahasti, Kalayar Koil, Thiruvengadu, Thiruvadanai, Thirupunavasal, Thiru Yedagam,
Thiruvisainallur, Thiruvarur, Seerkazhi, Thirukkolakka, Nalla
Koorur, Thiruvanmiyur, Mayiladuthurai, Thiruvidaimaruthur, Thiruchuli, Courtallam, Thievennainallur,
Kandadevi, Kottur, Pennagaram (now Pennadam) were all converted to stone
structures in whole or part by pious nagarathar families of
India census, Devakottai had a population of approximately 46,000. Males constituted 49% of the population and females 51%. Devakottai has an average literacy rate of 80%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: the male literacy rate is 85% and the female literacy rate 75%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
two colleges in Devakottai , Sevugan Annamalai Art College
College, run by the R.C.
Devakottai has many well run schools and educational institutions
NSMVPS Higher Secondary School (Nagarathar Sri Meenakshi Vidhya
Paripalana Sangam Higher Secondary School)
De Britto Higher Secondary School
Pethal Achi Girls' Higher Secondary School
St John Girls' Higher Secondary School
St Mary's Girls' Higher Secondary School
Vairam Group Matric Higher Secondary School
Chairman Manickavasagam Middle school
Zamindar Street High School [ஜமிந்தார் பள்ளி]
Sri Ramakrishna Middle School.
Picture of Devakottai Nagara Sivan Kovil
The Hindu temples in Devakottai include:
1. Nagara Sivan Kovil (maintained by the representatives of 40
sects of Nagarathar Community in Devakottai)
2. Silambani Pillayar Kovil (located near the Silambani
3. Vellayan Oorani Pillayar Kovil
4. T. Oorani Pillayar Kovil
5. PL Chellappa Chettiar Kovil
6. Ranganatha Perumal Kovil
7. Karutha Oorani Pillayar Kovil
There are three mosques in Devakottai at
1. Vattanam Road
2. Mogammadiar Pattanam
3. Gandhi Road
There are three churches in Devakottai, two for RC church and one
for CSI church:
1. Ramnagar Church
2. Thiruppathur Road Church
3. Saraswathivasagasalai Church
The famous Kandhar Sashti Vizha is being conducted by the Kandhar
Sashti Vizha Kazhagam for the past 63 years (as of year 2008) at
the Nagara Sivan Kovil at Devakottai. The 10 day festival is
celebrated with participation by literary personalities and eminent
Notable personalities from Devakottai include:
- Dr. Justice AR.Lakshmanan, Chairman, Law Commission of India
& Retd. Judge, Supreme Court of India, New Delhi
- Thiru S.S.Meenakshi Sundaram, Retd. IAS and Secy. to Prime
Minister of India
- Hari Sevugan, National Press Secy for
Democratic National Committee, U.S. Presidents Head of Rapid
Response Team, Senior Spokes Person for U.S. President Obama.
- Thiru Suba Annamalai, renowned Tamil Scholar
- Thiru. Bala Kavi Vynagaram Ramanathan Chettiar, popular writer
and eminent scholar in Saiva Sidhdhantham
- Porkizhi Kavignar Kasi Sri. AR. Somasundaram, MA. BT.
- Thiru. So.So.Mee. Sundaram, Eminent Tamil Scholar
- Thiru.KN.Chitsabesan.Eminent Tamil Scholar.
- Thiru. Vanathi Thirunavukkarasu Chettiar, Founder, Vanathi
- Late. Thiru Thamizhvanan, Founder, Kalkandu Magazine
- Thiru. Lena Thamizhvanan, Eminent Tamil Speaker and Editor,
- Thiru. Ravi Thamizvanan, Director,Manimekalai Pathippakam,
- Thiru.saba.Arunachalam. Eminent Tamil Scholar.
- Thiru. CT.V.Shanmuganatha Pillai - Vaithiyamani,Founder of
Muthtamil Vedha Thiruchabai muthaathaal nadu nillai
MUSIC AND ARTS
- 1. Late Thiru Kandadevi Alagiriswami, violinist and
- 2. Devakottai Late Shri. Narayana Aiyengar, Carnatic veena
vidwan, recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Karnatak
Instrumental Music from the President of India (Chitra Veenai
artist Ravi Kiran's grand father)
- 3. Late O.M.A.L.Lakshmanan Chettiar - Founder Kandar Sashti
- 4. Late Isai Illam Ramanathan Chettiar - Founder Kandar Sashti
- 5. Late Sangeetham Kasi Chettiar - Founder Kandar Sashti Vizha
- 6. Late AL.AR.V.Chokkiah chettiar (Zamindar House)- True lover
of Carnatic music.
- 7. Late Flute Valliappa Chettiar (Thanneer panthalar veedu) -
True lover of carnatic music.
- Director SM. Vasanth, famous film director of Kollywood
INDUSTRY, PROFESSIONALS, PHILANTHROPY, EDUCATION AND OTHER DIVERSE
- Late Shri. PK.AL.Pitchaikutti Udaiar, First Union Chairman of
- Late Shri. Masa.Manickam, eminent Lawyer and Addl public
prosecutor of Devakottai Judiciary
- Late Shri. Chatram Somasundaram Chettiar (Philanthropist)
- Late Shri. A.RM.A.L.A. Muthuveerappa Chettiar, former
President, Kasi Nattukottai Nagara Chattram Managing Society &
Former Director, TTK Textiles Ltd.
- Late Shri. O.RM.M.SP.SV. Sevugan Annamalai Chettiar, Founder,
Sevugan Annamalai College and Director, Madras Cements
- Late Thiru AV.K. Kasinathan Chettiar, Gandhian and Convenor of
- Late Dr. A.Vaidhyanathan, founder, Thiaga Brahma Mahotsava
Sabha of Devakottai
- Late Shri. Dhinamani Chettiar, Freedom Fighter, a staunch
- Late Shri Chinna Annamalai Chettiar. Freedom fighter Pioneer in
- Late Shri D.R.Arunachalam Chettiar. Freedom Fighter.
- Late Gandhi Narayanan Chettiar - a staunch Gandhian
- Late Arch Annamalai Chettiar, Freedom fighter
- Thiru. AL.AR.V Kalairaja Chettiar, Zamindar of Devakottai
- Late Thiru AL.AR.Subbiah Chettiar, Long serving Secy. NSMVP
- Late Thiru N. Arunachalam Chettiar, Member of Parliament from
Indian National Congress
- Late Thiru S.M.M Subramanian Chettiar, Chairman of Devakottai
- Late Thiru Rama Vellayan Chettiar,Chairman Devakottai Municipal
- Late Thiru TS.PL.P.CT. Subramanian Chettiar, Chairman of
Devakottai Local Government
- Justice of the Peace (Malaysia) Late Shri. MN.Y. Yegappa
- Justice of the Peace (Malaysia) Late Shri. MN.SP. Subramaniam
- Late Thiru Satyamurthi Iyer, eminent lawyer of Devakottai
- Late Shri. OM.SP.L.M.Meyyappa Chettiar, Director, Indian
Bank.Founder,Kwality spinnig mills,Pollachi.
- Late Shri. O.M.SP.L.AL. Peria Alagappa Chettiar,Director,Bank
Of madura,Steward Madras Race Club.Committee Member - Tamil Isai
- Late Thiru TamilVallal O.RM.M.SP.SV.Meyyappa
Chettiar, prominent Siva follower, philanthropist,
supporter of Tamil & Tamil Scholars, Director, Indian Overseas
Bank, Travancore Rayons, Premier Fertilisers, Sivakami Mills
- Late Shri.O.Rm.S.SV.Pl.Peria Lakshmanan chettiar.Past Nagara
congress committee president.
- Thiru Soma Narayanan Chettiar,Zamindar House.Founder vara
vazhpattu Mandram.Secretary -Sri Ramakrishna middlle school.
- Thiru. L. Muthukrishnan, Executive Director, Chettinad Cement
- Thiru. AR.L.Sundaresan, Senior Advocate, Madras High Court
- Thiru. SM.Muthukaruppan Retd Principal, Sree Venkateswara
- Thiru. SM. Vaidhyanathan, Retd. Scientist from Baba Atomic
Research Center Bombay
- Thiru. N. RM. Lakshmanan, Leading Textile Industrialist
- Prof. N Sundaramoorthy, Award Holder for his book 'Grama Vangi'
by Ministry of Education, Govt of India
- Thiru. M.M.Rajendran, Retd. IAS
- Thiru. Lakshmi Narayanan, Chairman, Indian Bank
- Thiru. VR. Arunachalam, Director, City Union Bank Limited and
- Late Shri. A.RM.A.L.A. Arunachalam Chettiar, Patron, Devakottai
Pethal Achi Girl's High School (Unit of NSMVP Sangam) & Former
Director, TTK Textiles Ltd.
- Thiru. Swastik AL.AR.S. Narayanan, Business Leader
- Thiru. S.Vadivelu Chettiar, Founder-Chairman, Vairam Group Pvt.
- Thiru AL.Vadivelu, Industrialist.
- Thiru AL.Chidambaram, Industrialist.
- Thiru. OM.SP.L.M.Meyyappa Chettiar, Textile Industrialist
- Thiru P.S.S Somasundaram Chettiar, Founder, Kaleeswara and
Somasundara Mills, Coimbatore and Manamadurai
- Late Shri. AV.K.M.AR. Thiagarajan Chettiar, Long serving Secy.
of Madurai Nagarathar Sangam and Pawn Brokers Association
- Late Shri. AV.K.M. Avichi Chettiar, President, Trichy
Nagarathar Association and Tamil Nadu Money Lenders and Bankers
- Late Shri PL. SM. Kailasanathan Chettiar, Nonagenarian who has
conducted several traditional temple kumbabishekams
- Thiru. Lotus Venkatachalam Chettiar, Philanthropist and Textile
- Thiru. Er.M.Velavan, Software Engineer
- Thiru. A. Ramanathan Chettiar, Secretary, NSMVPS High School,
- Late. Thiru AV.K. Somasundaram Chettiar, Kazhaga Perum
Thalaivar, Devakottai Thirukkural Kazhagam
- Coimbatore Dr. V. Veerappan, Leading Anaesthetist
- Dr. V. Sankara Narayanan, Leading Neuro Physician
- Dr. Kasinathan Nachiappan, Fellow of the Royal College of
Surgeons and ophthalmologist from Sankara Nethralaya
- Thiru A.RM.A.L.A.MV.Arunachalam (Sempon), Thirumurai Kavalar
and Esani Sivam
- Thiru R.Karthikeyan, Leading Pharmacy business,Devakottai.
- Thiru A.Lakshmanan, Land Developer and Builder in Hosur
- Late Shri AL.AR.Arunachalam Chettiar - Zamindar of
- Late Shri AL.AR.Kalairaja Chettiar - Zamindar of
- Late Shri AL.AR.K.Veerappan Chettiar - Zamindar of
- Dr KK Shanmugam - Joint Director (Mines), Government Of Tamil
- Er Ramesh Shanmugam - Project Manager (Civil), Singapore
- Late Shri O.RM.M.SM.Manickavasagam Chettiar alias Sevugan
Chettiar - Chairman Devakaottai Panchayat Board for 19 years
- Late Shri O.RM.M.SM.SV.A.Arunachalam Chettiar - Land Developer
- Malaysia, India & Founder of Chairman Manickavasagam Middle
- M.Sevugan Chettiar Alias Chokkiah
chettiar,Philanthropist, Director, Jeyam Properties,Malaysia,
American Education Systems, India, Trustee Tamil Vallal Meyyappa
Chettiar trust, Manga-Rathnam Trust, India, Ex director of IOB,
Travancore Rayons,Rayon Puram, Kerala, Cigfill Ltd.,Banglore &
Sivakami Mills, Madurai.
- AR.Somasundaram - Secretary & Correspondent of Chairman
Manickavasagam Middle School.President Nagarathar Sangam,Madurai
2008-2009.Mg.Trustee AR.Somasundaram Trust.Housing Development
& Planter -Malaysia.
- Software Engineer
- Thiru V.Chandramoleeswaran President CHEMSEM,Director Chettinad
Power Corpn,Chettinad Quartz,Chettinad Logistics
- Late RM.Annamalai Chettiar Freedom
- Thiru RM.Lakshmanan, Industrialist,Philanthropist
- Thiru.L.Lakshmanan Former DGM Chettinad
- Late Scout Srini Chettiar,Socialist,Philanthropist.
- Late Thiru Alagu Chettiar,(Grocery Merchant-Vellaiyan
- Thiru L.Lakshmanan Chief Manager,Karur Vysya Bank,Whites Road
- Thiru AL.AR.K.VR.ChinnaVeerappan Chettiar, Zamindar of
SREE SEVEGAN ANNAMALAI COLLEGE - DEVAKOTTAI ( Arts & Science
ANANDA COLLEGE - DEVAKOTTAI ( Arts & science )