The Full Wiki

More info on Dildo, Newfoundland and Labrador

Dildo, Newfoundland and Labrador: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



A road sign directing drivers towards Dildo.
Dildo is a town on the island of Newfoundlandmarker in the province of Newfoundland and Labradormarker, Canadamarker. It is located on the southeastern Dildo Arm of Trinity Baymarker about 100 kilometres northwest of St. John'smarker. South Dildo is a neighbouring unincorporated community. The town's unusual name has brought it a certain amount of notoriety in the same vein as Fucking, Austriamarker and Hell, Michiganmarker.

History

Dildo has a long history, going as far back as 2000 BC when Maritime Archaic aboriginal people resided at Anderson's Cove. By 700 AD Dorset had inhabited Dildo Islandmarker. In 1613, Henry Crout, whilst sailing up Dildo Arm, came in contact with the Beothuks, who were residing on Dildo Island at this time. He traded with them and left gifts. In 1711 the inhabitants of Trinity Baymarker were ordered by Governor Crow to leave their homes during the winter, to defend themselves against the Frenchmarker who burned their houses. Dildo Island was one of the places designated for this purpose. The town of Dildo was founded in the late 1700s and settled to exploit the abundance of marine resources such as fish mostly cod, whales and seal.

History of All Saints' Anglican Church

The first church was built in 1878 by the people of Dildo. It was a simple structure that had no tower and was wide by long. It had a seating capacity of 250 people, and was heated by two coal stoves at either end which shared a common chimney. This Church served the community until 1964 when the present (larger) building was constructed.

Present

Dildo has a fast-growing tourist industry, at least partially on account of the town's unusual name. Dildo offers picturesque scenery, several bed and breakfasts, eating establishments, the Dildo Museum interpretive centre, the Historic Dildo Days celebration in August, boat tours, the Society of United Fishermen, the Lions centre, several Industrial Heritage structures, walking trails, and many businesses. A song about Dildo and other odd Newfoundland place names can be found on The Arrogant Worms album Russell's Shorts.

Bob and Tom, syndicated American radio personalities make random calls to residents of dildo, during "dildo days" every year, having made several friends in the area.

South Dildo

South Dildo is an unincorporated community which had a population of 272 in 1991. At the beginning of the 20th century, South Dildo was primarily involved in lumbering and supplied a schooner to the Labrador fishery. South Dildo had the roadside attraction of a wooden life-size humpback whale head, however after many years it was destroyed at the beginning of the 2006-2007 winter.

References

  1. http://www.dildosouvenirs.com/articles/historyofdildoname.pdf
  2. http://www.masalatime.com/?p=831


`


Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message