Donnaha (sometimes called
Donnaha Station) is a small unincorporated
community along the Yadkin River in the
Richmond Township of northwest Forsyth County,
Donnaha (sometimes spelled Donnoha) is a Native American
village. The name Donnaha was first used in 1889 or 1890 by Dr. Samuel Martin,
a descendent of a supposed Cherokee chief, who lived in nearby
North Carolina .
Near Donnaha was the site of the first
county seat of Surry
County, North Carolina
, established at Richmond (now Old
Richmond), in 1774
and a courthouse was erected
. However, Stokes
County (including modern Forsyth County), was split from
Surry County in 1789 and the site was unusable
for either county. The respective courts were moved to Rockford for Surry and to Germanton for Stokes.
Much later, the courthouse site
was destroyed by a cyclone in 1830
was a stop on the former Southern Railway
, now used by the
Yadkin Valley Railroad.